"On Topic" - rules regarding smoking in package cars.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I agree that the driver could have made an effort to smoke less that day.
Butt the driver has a job to do, whether I as a helper am on the truck or not. This is his workspace.... My job is to make his day easier and deliver packages.
If I was that miserable being around smoke...I would've stuck it out for the.day and asked the.coordinator to be sure to pair me with a non-smoker from now on.
For this day, it's both of their workplaces.
The helpers job is to help expedite the delivery process, not an environment of indentured servitude.

I do like what you did with the but.
Was it intentional?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree that the driver could have made an effort to smoke less that day.
Butt the driver has a job to do, whether I as a helper am on the truck or not. This is his workspace.... My job is to make his day easier and deliver packages.
If I was that miserable being around smoke...I would've stuck it out for the.day and asked the.coordinator to be sure to pair me with a non-smoker from now on.
But there in lies the rub. If you are in a commercial vehicle in some states, the driver could be fired on the spot. For someone complaining about his/her smoking. Therefore, just dont do it and we will all have a Merrier Christmas. And we wont have any threads about "I was fired for smoking in a vehicle that I knew I was not allowed to smoke in"

I'm a smoker. Picked up my helper for the first time last Friday. I have NOT smoked in the PC since she has been with me. I'm a female and we are doing about 200 stops, and I'm making it through the day. Feeling great and in by 7:30 with a lunch. I can't possibly imagine the stress level of 140 stops, please. And actually , I have enjoyed not smoking and am feeling less stress.

1. If you don't need the $$ ask him one more time if he can accommodate you, if not ...leave! Its his call, work and smoke with no helper =11pm. Or stop smoking, use you and be in by 7pm with a lunch. You eat...let him smoke for an hr. 2. Suck it up ( no pun intended) bundle up and keep your door open regardless, even if it's 30 degrees. A helpers gotta breath! But your health is more important and at 2 packs a day you the passenger of a driving heart attack.

I need my helper. I can handle this for 8 days and it might be the thing that inspires me to quit.

Good luck.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Why should he have to quit, because someone smokes? Its a habit, its not an essential life function. I should be on the other side of this argument, but I am not. Allergies to smoke is very real. Is there any wonder when there are enough chemicals in them to kill a horse. Maybe they are not as hardened as us smokers. I know if I dropped off a helper because he would not let me smoke, I would be fired. I am not a selfish smoker. I smoke and I hate it, except when I love it, and I still hate it. I certainly wont lose my livelihood over it. And all the smokers need to smoke a few less for 6 more days and get over yourselves.
I agree with you. However...some people are just whiny babies. If the OP was a smoker and the driver said no smoking on the car...so the OP couldn't smoke all day except for lunch....they'd be on here complaining that they were unhappy and miserable all day from lack of smoking.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree with you. However...some people are just whiny babies. If the OP was a smoker and the driver said no smoking on the car...so the OP couldn't smoke all day except for lunch....they'd be on here complaining that they were unhappy and miserable all day from lack of smoking.
And they can get let go because it is work time not leisure. And in many states it is the law. Yes we may break it 300 days a year, but now, game on, put them down.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm a smoker. Picked up my helper for the first time last Friday. I have NOT smoked in the PC since she has been with me. I'm a female and we are doing about 200 stops, and I'm making it through the day. Feeling great and in by 7:30 with a lunch. I can't possibly imagine the stress level of 140 stops, please. And actually , I have enjoyed not smoking and am feeling less stress.

1. If you don't need the $$ ask him one more time if he can accommodate you, if not ...leave! Its his call, work and smoke with no helper =11pm. Or stop smoking, use you and be in by 7pm with a lunch. You eat...let him smoke for an hr. 2. Suck it up ( no pun intended) bundle up and keep your door open regardless, even if it's 30 degrees. A helpers gotta breath! But your health is more important and at 2 packs a day you the passenger of a driving heart attack.

I need my helper. I can handle this for 8 days and it might be the thing that inspires me to quit.

Good luck.

I appreciate what you're saying, but it isn't the drivers decision whether he keeps a helper or smokes in the package car.
He is on the clock and is required to work as directed and follow all applicable laws and company rules.

It's a ridiculous argument to say this drivers needs or has a right to smoke in the truck.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I appreciate what you're saying, but it isn't the drivers decision whether he keeps a helper or smokes in the package car.
He is on the clock and is required to work as directed and follow all applicable laws and company rules.

It's a ridiculous argument to say this drivers needs or has a right to smoke in the truck.
And others can argue all they want. Rights vs laws. In my case I will just be considerate

PT Car Washer

Try chewing nicotine gum and only smoking during your hourly smoke break. I remember when smoking was banned from our building. Smokers got smoke breaks. Everyone else only got one regular break.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Try chewing nicotine gum and only smoking during your hourly smoke break. I remember when smoking was banned from our building. Smokers got smoke breaks. Everyone else only got one regular break.
Just try quitting. Im on my 45th time. Nicotine gum tastes like an ashtray. I keep convincing myself how ugly that IS. I think being addicted to cocaine would be easier to quit, and I hear it is.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Just try quitting. Im on my 45th time. Nicotine gum tastes like an ashtray. I keep convincing myself how ugly that IS. I think being addicted to cocaine would be easier to quit, and I hear it is.
Coke is much easier to stay away from....truat me. I quit smoking for 4 days once using an E cigarette....that's the closest I ever came. Gum, patches and Chantix didn't do a damn thing.

PT Car Washer

I quit after a lot of tries. My wife quit. Sis in law quit. Bro in law quit. All in our 40's and 50's. Smoke free and not going back.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
On topic: I have to be honest, if I was the OP I'd ask to be placed with another driver, if they refused I'd quit, it's a seasonal job at 8.50.

Off topic:
I smoked for around 15 years, tried patches, gums and even the shots behind the ears. Finally tried Chantix and it worked great. Consult your doctor if it's safe for you to use while driving, some have reported side effects, I didn't have any however.

UPSJedi2112

I blast Rush in my truck.
On topic: I have to be honest, if I was the OP I'd ask to be placed with another driver, if they refused I'd quit, it's a seasonal job at 8.50.

Off topic:
I smoked for around 15 years, tried patches, gums and even the shots behind the ears. Finally tried Chantix and it worked great. Consult your doctor if it's safe for you to use while driving, some have reported side effects, I didn't have any however.[/quote

Off topic:
I smoked for around 15 years, tried patches, gums and even the shots behind the ears. Finally tried Chantix and it worked great. Consult your doctor if it's safe for you to use while driving, some have reported side effects, I didn't have any however.
The "vivid, unusual dreams" side effect is no joke. Dreams were freakin my wife out when she was on Chantix. She quit that stuff right away.