"On Topic" - rules regarding smoking in package cars.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I know in Ohio it is against the law to be smoking in the package car but obviously other states will be different.
It is but guess what, no one cares. City vehicles have smokers in them, and cops. Any fleet vehicles, guess what, not enforced. People voted on a law before they knew what was in it. Seen that before? At first VFW members could not smoke in the VFW. Please, this wwII vet cant have a smoke with this drink? Private clubs, cant make their own rules?? Family businesses couldnt smoke in their own building?? What a bunch of crap. But the smoking in the vehicle is just plain unacceptable if your partner doesnt smoke. End of story.

NEnewbie

I feel like an elf.
Just an update, yesterday I was asked to bring to the HR department some personal documents next Tues the 23rd even though I do not know if I am working that day. I am a tad confused by this as I do not know what to expect. Why would they ask me to come in to the HR department a day before the 24th, and bring specific documents?

Just an update, yesterday I was asked to bring to the HR department some personal documents next Tues the 23rd even though I do not know if I am working that day. I am a tad confused by this as I do not know what to expect. Why would they ask me to come in to the HR department a day before the 24th, and bring specific documents?
Because they want a statement of some kind. Probably to cover their ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Probably because you are doing a good job and they want to consider you for a permanent position and ... making accommodations to a person with physical limitations gets brownie points with the government for UPS.

NEnewbie

I feel like an elf.
I do not have physical limitations, I am allergic to toxic cigarette smoke. I can do 60lbs packages all day long while speed walking for my driver. The benefits of being devoted to Crossfit. :treadmill:

jrh

A helper is supposed to make a driver's day easier. Now you expect him to not smoke for hours because you don't like the.smell? I hope he dropped you back off at your meet point and left...lol
yeah i'm sure it's the "smell" he doesn't like. give me a break. if you can't get through the day without a cigarette that's pretty weak to begin with. Can't even stop when you're politely asked not to? that's just childish

NEnewbie

I feel like an elf.
Should have asked for another driver that doesn't smoke those cancer sticks /coffin nails

I did ask for another driver and have been quite happy since, we do not even use the driver helper coordinator anymore I just call him or he calls me directly the package car driver.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I did ask for another driver and have been quite happy since, we do not even use the driver helper coordinator anymore I just call him or he calls me directly the package car driver.
Good for you, you don't need a chain smoking smelly selfish blow it in your face driver.

NEnewbie

I feel like an elf.
Sorry 60lb limitations only qualifies you for management

Never said I was limited to 60lbs, just that I can go all day full bore with 60lbs and not get tired. I can go to 100lbs but I prefer anything heavier to tag team to save both of our bodies. My driver is 2 years from retirement and is broken down after 35 years so he appreciates me I can see it in his face. He talks of retirement daily and of how proud he is of his kids who graduated college.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They probably want your documentation to fire the driver who smoked in your face. I know that was not your intention, but I know UPS and that is what I think.

NEnewbie

I feel like an elf.
They probably want your documentation to fire the driver who smoked in your face. I know that was not your intention, but I know UPS and that is what I think.

Well this sucks. I don't want the guy fired, I specifically left out all the other crap he did. He was a jackass but he does not deserve to be fired I know he has a family he spoke of them.

If this is what it is, what should I do to protect him?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Never said I was limited to 60lbs, just that I can go all day full bore with 60lbs and not get tired. I can go to 100lbs but I prefer anything heavier to tag team to save both of our bodies. My driver is 2 years from retirement and is broken down after 35 years so he appreciates me I can see it in his face. He talks of retirement daily and of how proud he is of his kids who graduated college.
You are so FOS you make me laugh.You could go all day if every package weighed 60lbs? Pleeeeease, you have no idea...but that I'd like to see...lol

This is not to mention that your original post that started this thread is BS. It states you worked 9 hours with a chain smoking driver. You later posted that you asked to be dropped off 10 minutes after he picked you up...and only spent maybe an hour total in Smokey Joe's truck. Hmmm.....which is it?