"On Topic" - rules regarding smoking in package cars.

NEnewbie

I feel like an elf.
Hello, I just put in 9 hours today with a driver who chain smoked two packs of cigarettes.
When I was hired as a driver helper I informed the HR personnel that I am very allergic to the smoke from burning cigarettes and presented medical documentation proving I cannot be around it.

Today when I was picked up the driver was smoking as I approached the car for the days work at the pickup point. I informed him about my problem, and agreed to not smoke. Ten minutes in he begins to smoke again. I complain, he says he "needs to smoke to get through the day". I asked him to stop, he refused to stop smoking again stating " I need this to get through the day I have over 140 stops ".

I also felt threatened because when I began to have breathing problems and requested to be let out of the car to go home, he refused saying he needed my help and if I did not help he would not be home until 11PM. He was a very large, intimidating driver and I felt unsafe as he was very aggressive. He is a new package car driver with only one month on the job.

Are there rules about smoking in the cars? I was not told of the policy of UPS regarding this aspect during orientation. When I call in tomorrow I need to tell them I need a driver that does not smoke as I get very ill from it.

I would like some advice regarding what I should do to insure my safety so I can work hard in a safe environment. I work in Massachusetts.

Last edited:
Hello, I just put in 9 hours today with a driver who chain smoked two packs of cigarettes.
When I was hired as a driver helper I informed the HR personnel that I am very allergic to the smoke from burning cigarettes and presented medical documentation proving I cannot be around it.

Today when I was picked up the driver was smoking as I approached the car for the days work at the pickup point. I informed him about my problem, and agreed to not smoke. Ten minutes in he begins to smoke again. I complain, he says he "needs to smoke to get through the day". I asked him to stop, he refused to stop smoking again stating " I need this to get through the day I have over 140 stops ".

I also felt threatened because when I began to have breathing problems and requested to be let out of the car to go home, he refused saying he needed my help and if I did not help he would not be home until 11PM. He was a very large, intimidating driver and I felt unsafe as he was very aggressive. He is a new package car driver with only one month on the job.

Are there rules about smoking in the cars? I was not told of the policy of UPS regarding this aspect during orientation. When I call in tomorrow I need to tell them I need a driver that does not smoke as I get very ill from it.

I would like some advice regarding what I should do to insure my safety so I can work hard in a safe environment. I work in Massachusetts.
Come on your being a girl. Tell them you want to be with another driver from now on.

My state has laws prohibiting smoking in the work place including company vehicles. But yet it still goes on. Not so bad in warm weather and all the doors are open but it's winter now. You have just cause to complain and demand to be partnered with a non smoker for the rest of peak. Not hard to match a helper who smokes with a driver who smokes. They can sit there and blow smoke rings at each other between stops.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We are not allowed to smoke in the cars. Some still do. If you are a smoker dont smoke when you have a non smoker with you, or be prepared to be out til 11.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It is ridiculously inconsiderate and disrespectful to disregard somebodies request for smoke-free air in an enclosed area, with the exception of an advertised enclosure like a bar or private club.

Nobody should be subjected to this as a helper in a UPS vehicle, period.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A helper is supposed to make a driver's day easier. Now you expect him to not smoke for hours because you don't like the.smell? I hope he dropped you back off at your meet point and left...lol

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It is ridiculously inconsiderate and disrespectful to disregard somebodies request for smoke-free air in an enclosed area, with the exception of an advertised enclosure like a bar or private club.

Nobody should be subjected to this as a helper in a UPS vehicle, period.
That black stuff I've been blowing out of my nose after work for 8 years....that's fairy dust, right? Contains vitamins?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Number one it is a company rule, number 2 it is common courtesy to not smoke around people it bothers. I dont get why you are picking on the OP. Yes he sounds whiny, but to a person that doesnt smoke, he has a point, it is nauseating.

9.5er

I can see where the OP is coming from. Growing up both my parents smoked. I know what it is like being in a vehicle with no fresh air.
I've also helped a driver that smoked and I just ride with the door open. I'd rather be cold and breathing than warm and choking.