One earbud while driving

F1fan4144

I worked unload for 6 months and we were allowed to have one earbud in while doing our work. Rules stipulated we needed to hear alarms and other emergency alerts.

Now I'm driving. After I finish my business deliveries, I put in an earbud in my right ear. I typically listen to an audiobook or podcast and can honestly say it's not a distraction and keeps a type of rhythm going. So, am I breaking some rule? I never wear both earbuds and don't like the idea of a speaker blaring while at residential stops. Thanks

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I worked unload for 6 months and we were allowed to have one earbud in while doing our work. Rules stipulated we needed to hear alarms and other emergency alerts.

Now I'm driving. After I finish my business deliveries, I put in an earbud in my right ear. I typically listen to an audiobook or podcast and can honestly say it's not a distraction and keeps a type of rhythm going. So, am I breaking some rule? I never wear both earbuds and don't like the idea of a speaker blaring while at residential stops. Thanks

Talk to your Local Union (first) or local management.

The contract says this:

ARTICLE 18

Section 8. Radios

Radios will be allowed in package cars. Such radios shall not inhibit the driver’s view, nor shall they be unsecured.

b. Head sets and earphones shall not be allowed.

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

-Bug-

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Usually a center by center rule.
Frowned upon in general.

I have a 5 hour stretch of residentials everyday so I use earbuds then.
It all depends on what your center manager wants to beat drivers on.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Somewhat off-topic, but you can have FULL HEARING PROTECTION inside the building. Two headphones, two earbuds, two foam inner ears, etc etc. Don't let UPS bully you and make an example, while violating federal law.

By the way, my grandmother went nearly deaf at age 60 from hearing loss working in the mills. She could barely hear a thing at age 70.

The union will back management on this issue, but then you can cite OSHA guidelines as well as have an attorney ready to go. Don't be afraid to seek advice from doctors if you have ringing, tinnitus, etc.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

One accident and you are toast.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Love my earbud!...
2016-11-06-15-23-24--1369219114.jpg

Never drive a vehicle without being able to utilize your god given hearing. We have it for a reason. Last peak I had a driver who did the same thing and he didn't hear a kid playing in the road and the only reason she didn't get smashed was from me yelling "stop!". He didn't use them again all season I doubt he uses them now. It was far too close for comfort.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They are against company policy and the law in my state. This isn't enforced as much as it should be, it falls under distracted driving.

F1fan4144

This was what I expected, some saying no go while others saying it's similar to Bluetooth ear piece. I only wear it in my right ear and since it's talking I can say with a straight face I'm not jamming along to a song and getting distracted. I'm in Ohio, wearing both is illegal but it's legal to wear one.

Never drive a vehicle without being able to utilize your god given hearing. We have it for a reason. Last peak I had a driver who did the same thing and he didn't hear a kid playing in the road and the only reason she didn't get smashed was from me yelling "stop!". He didn't use them again all season I doubt he uses them now. It was far too close for comfort.

Your story does consist of a new driver, likely young and inexperienced. I know "it only takes one" story but there are those who aren't cut out for this job then there is me

Thanks for the input!

DOK

It's done hear in plain view, no ones ever gotten said to them about it.