One for the record books?

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Today when I came in to work, I walked in my truck (couldn't do that two days ago, more about that) sitting in the middle was 3 smalls bags filled. I thought "What the heck?" Looked in one, all different addresses. What is this I asked my loader? Oh I'm trying to make space. What? All of the small packages in my truck, regardless of address or pal label were in those bags.

Two days ago I couldn't get in my truck through the bulkhead door. A six foot 60 lb carpet was wedged diagonally across behind the bulkhead door. It was palled to my 5000 section.

Any worse loaders in UPS? If so I feel sorry for their drivers.

Channahon

You did let your management team know about this, didn't you?

They should have ripped the preload sup on this, as it is not the methods for loading a package car.

Hopefully, it hasn't happened again.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You did let your management team know about this, didn't you?

They should have ripped the preload sup on this, as it is not the methods for loading a package car.

Hopefully, it hasn't happened again.
As long as we get the preloader off of the clock and the packages out of the building, we can pretend that everything is OK and let the driver deal with it. We must at all costs maintain the illusion of a functioning preload.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does your cell phone have a camera? If so, document this and other loads such as this. If not, ask your mgt team to borrow their camera so that you can document this. Is the loader working as directed or did he come up with this all on his own?

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I preload and cover drive... I am ALWAYS wanting to make my drivers day better. I would be embarrassed if my loads looked like :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:!!

I know it makes my day go better and FASTER when I drive!

Here hand these out to your loader...I made it the other day for another post!
misloadawardvw4.jpg

Channahon

As long as we get the preloader off of the clock and the packages out of the building, we can pretend that everything is OK and let the driver deal with it. We must at all costs maintain the illusion of a functioning preload.

In most buildings the preload sup reports to the Business or Preload Manager. And it is in the best interest of the center to give the drivers a good load, rather than get a preloader off the clock timely. As the cost for a driver is 2-3 fold to spend time sorting on route as opposed to a preloader working a few clicks over 5 hours.

Believe me, I've been there, having to explain why a part timer worked over 5 hours when the preload was fully staffed. However, in explaining the issue of smalls bag being used instead of loading per the methods, I felt confident enough to say it was a one time deal.

That's where the ripping of the preload sup would come into play, regardless of who made the decision, the preloader or sup. It is not the methods and can and will create additional cost.

And the preload sup and his part time sups are responsible for their operations, just like the on cars are responsible for their drivers. With the Business Manager ultimately responsible for his/her operation.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
IWorkAsDirected,
When you got ready to clock out, what did you key in the Diad under Preload Communication? I have never heard of anything like this. You waste time looking for a Stop on the shelf and then have to dig through a Forever Bag? What kind of person thinks of something like this? I could see smalls in a bag if they were all for the same stop, anything other than that is ridiculous. Its cheaper from a business sense for the Preloader to load the Package Car correctly than have the driver come in and finish his job.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The only time I have ever seen a smalls bag loaded (and I mean ONLY) is with our post office stops. If I found a smalls bag loaded with smalls as described I would have pulled the bag and dumped it on the floor at the belt. This practice is not acceptible.:angry:

John19841

I've never had that happen (where all the smalls were loaded in a bag, but I did have a loader (newbie) interpret the loading chart (Another topic for another day - Why we have charts outlining where the packages go for every car when every car is now exactly the same with PAS) Loaded my whole load backwards. 1000 section in the back of the car, 8000 at the bulkhead door, etc. At least floor 3 and 4 were in the right place, lol.

Understandable I guess, given the training (or lack of) for someone new, except for the fact that the shelves are all clearly labeled in the car. Fortuneatley for me, the route I was doing (cover driver) only had 1 big bulk stop, and although loaded in the front of the car, once I got it out I could walk through decently. Made the after lunch half of the day really easy though. No moving packages forward.

Wish I knew what happened to that kid...

....probably made him a pt sup

FromBluetoBrown

One of my drivers was telling me about the loader I replaced, he said during peak he lost the load chart and loaded the whole truck on the shelves in alphabetical order.

paidslave

Today when I came in to work, I walked in my truck (couldn't do that two days ago, more about that) sitting in the middle was 3 smalls bags filled. I thought "What the heck?" Looked in one, all different addresses. What is this I asked my loader? Oh I'm trying to make space. What? All of the small packages in my truck, regardless of address or pal label were in those bags.

Two days ago I couldn't get in my truck through the bulkhead door. A six foot 60 lb carpet was wedged diagonally across behind the bulkhead door. It was palled to my 5000 section.

Ahh, work as directed and finish when you finish...

HazMatMan

I've never had that happen (where all the smalls were loaded in a bag, but I did have a loader (newbie) interpret the loading chart (Another topic for another day - Why we have charts outlining where the packages go for every car when every car is now exactly the same with PAS) Loaded my whole load backwards. 1000 section in the back of the car, 8000 at the bulkhead door, etc. At least floor 3 and 4 were in the right place, lol.

Understandable I guess, given the training (or lack of) for someone new, except for the fact that the shelves are all clearly labeled in the car. Fortuneatley for me, the route I was doing (cover driver) only had 1 big bulk stop, and although loaded in the front of the car, once I got it out I could walk through decently. Made the after lunch half of the day really easy though. No moving packages forward.

Wish I knew what happened to that kid...

....probably made him a pt sup
You have to understand, given UPS pays such a low starting rate for a preloader they must scrape the bottom of the barrel, thus, you get shoddy work. Remember the old saying? You get what you pay for.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Recently I have noticed a few loaders who load the pkgs in the proper area on the shelf but place them with the labels facing the rear door.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
To follow up, yes I threw the bags in the back of the truck and told the loader that it wouldn't work and he had to load them where they were supposed to go. The carpet deal, I had the preload sup move it. I also reported the bag deal to both fulltime sups (one thought it was hilarious) and to the center manager (who ripped the preload sup big time)

One big problem with our preload is that the sup has never loaded nor driven. He was hired as an AM clerk last fall, promoted to clerk supervisor after about two weeks, then when the preload went in a couple of months ago he became preload sup. To illustrate his knowlege: Just before peak when we had the driver preload, I sent a package down to the clerks which did not have a barcode or shipper #. Awhile later this guy comes up to me with the package and asked where I had packages for that stop loaded. I showed him and he took one and started to leave with it. I told him there were a couple more for that stop if they wanted them will called or whatever. No, he says I just need the shipper # I said well that one isn't from the same shipper. He says "Oh do they need to be from the same shipper?"

Another problem: We have out of 15 loaders probably 2 who came from another center with experience. All the others have never loaded before and the training has been pretty much non-existent, just look at the pal put it in sequence on the right shelf. So........everything regardless of size or weight is loaded on the appropriate shelf, then they have no clue what to do when they run out of room (neither does the preload sup) My loader drops them down to the next shelf first, then the floor if there's room (usually the floor is empty and the shelves are packed) Yesterday I got a 21 piece load of sewing machines and they were lined up all the way down the side on the floor and on the top shelf (pal 1000) Walmart is usually on both sides in the back, but they didn't have much so the back was pretty empty. They just don't know how to think and make a decision to make adjustments; just load according to pal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Directed, I also deliver to a WalMart (and Sams) and they average 50-100 (25-50) per day, nearly 150 (50-75) during Peak (I lose these 2 stops during Peak). The bulk can be a pain but I can usually dance through the middle after I leave those 2 stops. Is it just me or do they think that they are the only stop that I am going to have all day? It took me a long time to train them to simply stack the boxes on the roller and wait until I am gone before checking them in. This new "Ship-To-Store" has been a winner for them and for us (I guess), although those pkgs seem to always be so much bigger and heavier than their usual pkgs.

rod

Retired 22 years
One of my drivers was telling me about the loader I replaced, he said during peak he lost the load chart and loaded the whole truck on the shelves in alphabetical order.
What a dummy. Don't he know that they are suppose to be loaded by size - small in the front and large in the back:peaceful: