One positive about this peak...

HubBub

...the union can't and won't be broken. After a full year of preperation, the company is managing to just squeek by with all hands on deck.

Most hub workers can't handle the responsibility and most off the street peak drivers aren't prepared for the "production at all costs/safety at all costs" balance. If the "legit" drivers ever struck or got locked out, the company would be done for good, imo. No way they could stay afloat with just management and last minute scabs running routes.

I guess it would be mutually ensured destruction for UPS and the Teamsters, hence the friendly negotiations last time around. Let's hope it stays friendly next time around (FredEx is spending big on expanding capacity).

Just my opinion.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The company will go to the table and try and steal as much as they can like they did last time and it will go through again because of all the numbnutts who vote yes and the ones who don't vote at all. Rinse and repeat and watch all the concessions again go out the door. Just remember what they take aint ever coming back.

HubBub

The company will go to the table and try and steal as much as they can like they did last time and it will go through again because of all the numbnutts who vote yes and the ones who don't vote at all. Rinse and repeat and watch all the concessions again go out the door. Just remember what they take aint ever coming back.

Probably true. I really gotta start working on a degree or something. I figure I've got 4 or 5 more contracts before I retire. By then, this job might not be nearly as worthwhile as it is now.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Probably true. I really gotta start working on a degree or something. I figure I've got 4 or 5 more contracts before I retire. By then, this job might not be nearly as worthwhile as it is now.
ive got 2 more after this 1 myself, going to be interesting for sure, we'll see if Hoffa gets the boot next 1 lol.

Indecisi0n

I have a feeling next contract is going to be tough. A lot of guys are pissed because of the medical change and just can't handle the workload we been getting. They better start working on it right now.

HBGPreloader

Judging by the last contract vote, the union is already broken and it's every man for himself.

It will be interesting to see how the union's finances progress though this contract and how they will impact the next election.

My guess is the vote will be done and new leaders will be sworn in when they finally decide to break the bad news to us.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If the south didn't think this last contract was apparently amazing. It would of went down in flames.

I agree even with all the advancements this is not a Job you walk into from day 1 and do just fine.

Our seasonals and even a few new hires from the summer are really struggling. Like to the tune of less than 10 stops an hour on routes that run under 50 miles.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Just like the politicians . Union heads are no different. The same kind of weasels are voted in time and time again. We (not me) as a group need to really vote for the union. Not the sheeple.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Especially now! We have the battle of our lively hood at stake. We also have our government. Both sides of the isle. As evident of the bill attacking pensions

rod

Retired 22 years
...the union can't and won't be broken. After a full year of preperation, the company is managing to just squeek by with all hands on deck.

Most hub workers can't handle the responsibility and most off the street peak drivers aren't prepared for the "production at all costs/safety at all costs" balance. If the "legit" drivers ever struck or got locked out, the company would be done for good, imo. No way they could stay afloat with just management and last minute scabs running routes.

I guess it would be mutually ensured destruction for UPS and the Teamsters, hence the friendly negotiations last time around. Let's hope it stays friendly next time around (FredEx is spending big on expanding capacity).

Just my opinion.

The old "the Company can't get along without me" way of thinking has been proved wrong many times before. Just about everyone thinks they are irreplaceable but unfortunately it just don't work that way. A couple of days after you walk out the door you are nothing but a memory to a few and forgotten by most. That's life.

rod

Retired 22 years

Few (maybe the real short timers) can say how many contracts they have left. Who's to say the next contract isn't streched out to cover 10 years. It wasn't that long ago the contracts were for only 3 years.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
If the south didn't think this last contract was apparently amazing. It would of went down in flames.

I agree even with all the advancements this is not a Job you walk into from day 1 and do just fine.

Our seasonals and even a few new hires from the summer are really struggling. Like to the tune of less than 10 stops an hour on routes that run under 50 miles.
You can add $50 per month to the pension and the south will vote for anything

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

Just my opinion.
If you've ever done online gaming you're familiar with the concept of "zerging" which is where you throw a ton of substandard people/players at a target to get the job done, albeit extremely inefficiently. This applies to UPS and staffing in my opinion. If God forbid we ever had a really long strike and they hired replacement drivers, they obviously couldn't do what we do as well as we do or get as much accomplished, but if they brought on a million fedex-ground quality drivers and just gave them smaller dispatches they could in theory get it done. In the long run the company wouldn't be profitable because of all the additional equipment and labor it would need. Just saying they could "zerg" a strike with a ridiculous amount of underqualified scabs.