Online Retiring....

Vette51

Looks like you go to the calculator, hit submit to retire, then print out papers to submit. Once you click Submit are you locked in to retire ?? No turning back ?? Even before you sign and submit papers ?

Shiftless

Educate me, who runs the calculator? Teamsters? UPS?

No such thing when I retired 15 + years ago that I knew of?

Then again when I was a pkg driver we used heavy clipboards with paper and carbon copy sheets. We used little black push button pens that said " UNITED PARCEL SERVICE " on them. And we didn't have shorts!

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Looks like you go to the calculator, hit submit to retire, then print out papers to submit. Once you click Submit are you locked in to retire ?? No turning back ?? Even before you sign and submit papers ?

I believe that you still have to sign your final papers....You actually get more information when you put in for a retirement rather than ask for an estimate...Most people just do not sign the final papers if they are not ready to go, or find bogus information....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You actually have thirty days to change your mind after putting in for your pension. Our most senior driver actually did this a couple of years ago. His vacations for the next year got screwed up because he was paid off, so he didn’t get one for a year. I’m about to sign and send my paperwork in. I have to file by October 5 to get my first pension check on November 1. The UPS Retirement Department is currently working on a 90 day schedule to process retirements.

oldngray

nowhere special
You actually have thirty days to change your mind after putting in for your pension. Our most senior driver actually did this a couple of years ago. His vacations for the next year got screwed up because he was paid off, so he didn’t get one for a year. I’m about to sign and send my paperwork in. I have to file by October 5 to get my first pension check on November 1. The UPS Retirement Department is currently working on a 90 day schedule to process retirements.
I sent in my paperwork so I could see some of the numbers and dates (which are otherwise treated as big secrets). No problem to move the date back. A lot of people do it that way.

UPS won't even accept the paperwork more than 90 days out so entering an early date is the only way to see where you really stand.

trickpony1

I have to file by October 5

I would highly recommend that you send this by USPS Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested.
This prevents anyone from saying, "...oh, but, but Mr. Scratch....we never recieved this.".

Scratch: "the green card I have in my hand has a date and a signature.".

Silence.....

It's a REAL cheap insurance policy.

quad decade guy

I sent in my paperwork so I could see some of the numbers and dates (which are otherwise treated as big secrets). No problem to move the date back. A lot of people do it that way.

UPS won't even accept the paperwork more than 90 days out so entering an early date is the only way to see where you really stand.

Ok. But why is it this way? Why do we do everything at UPS this way? WHY?

My Mom retired a few years back, hell pick any other company, nice company sponsored get together etc. Us? Like the WW2 escape network.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I would highly recommend that you send this by USPS Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested.
This prevents anyone from saying, "...oh, but, but Mr. Scratch....we never recieved this.".

Scratch: "the green card I have in my hand has a date and a signature.".

Silence.....

It's a REAL cheap insurance policy.

They will still ignore or never answer..."Ditto"

Even if you get a signature on the green card..it will be
unrecognizable or will be initialed by a low level OMS.

Plausible deniability....

Any correspondence that you send to Atlanta needs to go UPS...more direct evidence of delivery...:chaseups:

Overpaid Union Thug

So, you are getting paid out for all of your vacations for next year but will lose your option week right? Or was it only the option day? My buddy and I were talking about that today.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure about the Option Week, I think I will lose that. Still, six weeks of vacation is $10,600.00 gross.

Re-Raise

I'm not sure about the Option Week, I think I will lose that. Still, six weeks of vacation is $10,600.00 gross.
Will you get the vacation pay that you earned this year ..that you would have taken in 2021 paid out when you leave before the end of the year?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Will you get the vacation pay that you earned this year ..that you would have taken in 2021 paid out when you leave before the end of the year?
I have a week off in October I will take off three days before I actually retire and my last vacation week in November I will be paid off. 156 reports in the year happen by mid August so I will get six weeks of 2021 vacation pay. I just don’t get my 2021 Option Days pay.

Re-Raise

I have a week off in October I will take off three days before I actually retire and my last vacation week in November I will be paid off. 156 reports in the year happen by mid August so I will get six weeks of 2021 vacation pay. I just don’t get my 2021 Option Days pay.
Interesting..my seniority date is in March..We all thought they wouldn’t pay out any 2021 vacation pay if we were off the books before the start of the year. Like you I already have the years in before this year..but I may leave before peak if I can get my 8 weeks paid out

I’m in 710..so our vacation weeks are paid at 50hrs..I’m not leaving 16k on the table!

Last edited:

Re-Raise

I looked at it this way!

Everyday you work past your retirement eligibility date is like throwing money away!
I make 100k working and will collect $3800 a month retired minus the $400 a month for insurance..not sure I understand your math.
Every extra year increases my monthly pension as well

Re-Raise

So they will cut you a check this year for next year’s vacations? Or will it be paid out next year?