Online Retiring....

I’m about to hit 35yrs of decent money to help increase my social security payments
It takes your best 35 years of earnings when they calculate your social security.

Trust me I'm almost in the same boat as you are I'm only set back is that I I started a young age

and I do my best to try to hang out till the end of this contract and that way when I do retire I at least know what I'm looking at for the next 5 years.

as far as getting paid out for your vacations the way it works out here if you work until October you get your full entitlement because you worked it and earned it, they usually pay you out about a week or so after you retire

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
One of my supervisors already offered to payoff my last vacation in November. I'm not sure if I get paid off for my 2021 vacations on my retirement date or I have to wait until January 1. My pension amount will be $4808 a month.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Keep working. Month after month the ex is wondering when the checks start rolling in. Work is fun when revenge is involved!

Shiftless

I make 100k working and will collect $3800 a month retired minus the $400 a month for insurance..not sure I understand your math.
Every extra year increases my monthly pension as well

It is all about choices!

Math is simple. Using your numbers. If you are retirement age NOW? And you would be getting $3,800 a month as you have indicated you are leaving $45,600 dollars a year on the table to work to make your 100K. Which basically means your 100k you are working for is really only $54,400 for all the hours you put in by not collecting your retirement.

Just a guess would be your working for 20 plus dollars an hour every month you don't draw on your retirement! Run your numbers.

Sure its more complicated than this, but every day you could be paid from your retirement you don't take? Is virtually gone! Your retirement increase is a fraction of what you let them keep every month.

2 centavos

Re-Raise

It is all about choices!

Math is simple. Using your numbers. If you are retirement age NOW? And you would be getting $3,800 a month as you have indicated you are leaving $45,600 dollars a year on the table to work to make your 100K. Which basically means your 100k you are working for is really only $54,400 for all the hours you put in by not collecting your retirement.

Just a guess would be your working for 20 plus dollars an hour every month you don't draw on your retirement! Run your numbers.

Sure its more complicated than this, but every day you could be paid from your retirement you don't take? Is virtually gone! Your retirement increase is a fraction of what you let them keep every month.

2 centavos
My pension increases about $145 a month for every year I stay when you combine my part-time and full-time pensions. That comes to $1740 a year for life. My parents are both over 90 yrs old and active. I am only 55 so if I make it to 90 as well that comes to $60,900 in additional pension pay for each year I stay.

The $4800 a year for insurance until Medicare kicks in is also in the equation.

Basically, I am looking at any extra money I make now as play money when my wife and I do retire.

Shiftless

Generally speaking: This is what I saw during my tenure working at UPS.

UPS drivers make very good money while not having to have a college degree. Lots of Overtime and Cadillac Health benefits with a Retirement plan.

As I saw it, So many driver's would debt themselves to death when first starting out and then live a trapped cycle of debt!! New trucks , Boats, Toy's, Toy,s and More Toy's. Very few planned down the road. Fortunate for them O/T was abundant. I chose (I like choices) a different path. Learning early that as much as a new truck, Boat, Motorcycle or Plane sure is nice every 2 or 3 three years, the general outcome of living like that on UPS wages wouldn't work for US. Again its all about choices!

That path allowed me to retire at my earliest date while I was 49 years old. A plan and Prudent investing made that happen. That is why leaving all that money on the table by not choosing to retire at your earliest date made sense to me. Again its about personal choice!

I highly doubt anything has changed when drivers start making the big monies. Maybe they have?

Re-Raise

UPS drivers make very good money while not having to have a college degree. Lots of Overtime and Cadillac Health benefits with a Retirement plan.

As I saw it, So many driver's would debt themselves to death when first starting out and then live a trapped cycle of debt!! New trucks , Boats, Toy's, Toy,s and More Toy's. Very few planned down the road. Fortunate for them O/T was abundant. I chose (I like choices) a different path. Learning early that as much as a new truck, Boat, Motorcycle or Plane sure is nice every 2 or 3 three years, the general outcome of living like that on UPS wages wouldn't work for US. Again its all about choices!

That path allowed me to retire at my earliest date while I was 49 years old. A plan and Prudent investing made that happen. That is why leaving all that money on the table by not choosing to retire at your earliest date made sense to me. Again its about personal choice!

I highly doubt anything has changed when drivers start making the big monies. Maybe they have?
To each his own. My wife and I have been debt free for about 15yrs. The extra money we made working longer allows us to buy more toys if we want and allowed us to pay off our girl’s college so they got their Master’s and Doctorate degrees without having any debt when they finished.

My route is pretty easy lol

Shiftless

To each his own. My wife and I have been debt free for about 15yrs. The extra money we made working longer allows us to buy more toys if we want and allowed us to pay off our girl’s college so they got their Master’s and Doctorate degrees without having any debt when they finished.

My route is pretty easy lol

And you are only 72 years old! LOL

Just out of curiosity? How many in your building have themselves in your position do you think?

Does my view of what I saw when I worked still the norm where so many are in over their head in debt. Or are many like you debt free?

Asking for a friend!!

Re-Raise

I am 55 ..A lot have wives that don’t work or multiple divorces. I have a business degree so I have invested my whole life and avoided taking on debt. My wife has always had a good job which helps.

It seems like most of the guys that don’t take care of their health..smoking..borderline alcoholic..50 pds overweight...are the ones that have money problems as well.

I guess I haven’t retired yet because I just don’t feel that old yet...and I like having the money to do anything we want to do

Re-Raise

Not sure how we got here..I just asked Scratch when they would pay off next year’s vacations when he retired

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It is all about choices!

2 centavos
To me it was never about leaving money on the table, it was about spending more years at a job I didn't really like to get more money I didn't really need. Once I was able to crunch the numbers and be satisfied that I wouldn't have to even get a part time job unless I got bored I put my papers in. It helps that neither my wife nor I are big spenders, any "toys" we want we already have, cars are paid off, less than 50k left on the mortgage. So nice to get up on Wednesday morning and drive out to the mountains for a hike, stop and get some bbq for lunch, never once think "Man I wish I didn't have to go back to work on Monday..". Can't put a price on that.

Re-Raise

To me it was never about leaving money on the table, it was about spending more years at a job I didn't really like to get more money I didn't really need. Once I was able to crunch the numbers and be satisfied that I wouldn't have to even get a part time job unless I got bored I put my papers in. It helps that neither my wife nor I are big spenders, any "toys" we want we already have, cars are paid off, less than 50k left on the mortgage. So nice to get up on Wednesday morning and drive out to the mountains for a hike, stop and get some bbq for lunch, never once think "Man I wish I didn't have to go back to work on Monday..". Can't put a price on that.
I just asked whether or not I needed to work until January to get my earned vacation paid out for next year...everyone can retire whenever they want. I would work through peak to get my 400 hrs of vacation pay if I had to

Re-Raise

I called HR about this and they transferred me to some clerk at a nearby center. She seemed dumbfounded by my question and said “why would we pay you for vacations if you don’t work here anymore?”
We all line up our vacations right before we retire in our last year

I called HR about this and they transferred me to some clerk at a nearby center. She seemed dumbfounded by my question and said “why would we pay you for vacations if you don’t work here anymore?”
We all line up our vacations right before we retire in our last year
Why don't you ask one of the retired drivers?

Re-Raise

I was planning to line them up January-February..now I am hearing here they will just cut me a check this year if I have the 156 reports

Re-Raise

That's why everyone here usually retires in October. One to get out of peak , 2 to get paid all of your vacation time.
For the next year? Because I already used my 2020 vacations

Is it 156 reports from the beginning of the year or from my seniority date?

No one does that here. You can tell when people are leaving because they line up all of their weeks right before their exit date when we pick vacations the year before in Nov

Last edited: