Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

wilberforce15

Why? Lack of range, time to recharge and cost. All of those problems have been all along. With no real solutions in sight.
"Only 1%
"Only 3%"
"Only 5%"
"Only 10%"
"Onlu 25%"
"Only 50%"

Sorry, I'm filling in your thread titles for the next few years.

All the objections just betray ignorance. The range on many electrics is identical to gas already. They're more convenient to charge than to fill up with gas, and cost-parity is imminent.

oldngray

nowhere special
"Only 1%
"Only 3%"
"Only 5%"
"Only 10%"
"Onlu 25%"
"Only 50%"

Sorry, I'm filling in your thread titles for the next few years.

All the objections just betray ignorance. The range on many electrics is identical to gas already. They're more convenient to charge than to fill up with gas, and cost-parity is imminent.
Maybe for a daily commuter vehicle. Not for road trips.

wilberforce15

Maybe for a daily commuter vehicle. Not for road trips.
No meaningful impact for most people on road trips except the longest or heaviest users, and then the impact is minimal compared to other advantages. And that's current.

I understand wanting to grasp at the very last things that gas can do and hang onto them. I won't stop you. It's your blankey.

oldngray

nowhere special
No meaningful impact for most people on road trips except the longest or heaviest users, and then the impact is minimal compared to other advantages. And that's current.

I understand wanting to grasp at the very last things that gas can do and hang onto them. I won't stop you. It's your blankey.
I understand you are so invested in electric you have to deny any of the disadvantages.

wilberforce15

I understand you are so invested in electric you have to deny any of the disadvantages.
I admitted very small disadvantages. They exist. They're small and narrow, but they exist.

I've done TN to VT in a day in an electric. It cost me between 1 and 2 hours extra depending on how you measure it. Same on the way back.

How many people do that? Not many. How many people do it more than a few times a year? Not many.

So, if I did 5 such trips a year which would be way more than average, it would cost me 10 or 15 hours of extra travel time per year. And almost nobody even drives that much.

What a joke. It's not even meaningful. I'd still go electric on cost and convenience alone.

Most people barely do that once a year. That would cost an hour or two per year. Lol.

wilberforce15

1000 mile road trip. Super conservative 250 miles per charge so that nobody has range anxiety.

That's 3-4 fill-ups. That's maybe 3 hours of charging for 1000 mile trip in a day. Again, that's me being biased against the electric.

Most people are going to have 1-2 hours of stops anyway for gas vehicles and bathroom breaks and food. Most charging stations have bathrooms and food. No extra time spent there.

So, a 1-day trip of 1000 miles maybe costs you an extra hour or two to do in a proper electric.

It's a pathetic complaint.

Brownsocks

Just a dog

Electric charge times limit travel to the extreme, and charger wait times will only increase with each electric vehicle that hits the road. 100% charge is bad for the batteries, so you immediately lose 20% of your range on the daily, and level 3 chargers cannot be used daily. The truck with its tow charge loss will be even worse for anyone who uses them for work, or toy hauling, and don't get me started on charge degradation in cold weather.
Bottom line: middle class America is too instant gratification for current electric tech, and few can afford to buy vehicles simply for road trips, or hauling. Who has time to stop for at least a 1/2 hour every 200 miles (or less depending on charger locations) of a road trip?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-075315_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220109-075315_Chrome.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 90

wilberforce15

Electric charge times limit travel to the extreme, and charger wait times will only increase with each electric vehicle that hits the road. 100% charge is bad for the batteries, so you immediately lose 20% of your range on the daily, and level 3 chargers cannot be used daily. The truck with its tow charge loss will be even worse for anyone who uses them for work, or toy hauling, and don't get me started on charge degradation in cold weather.
Bottom line: middle class America is too instant gratification for current electric tech, and few can afford to buy vehicles simply for road trips, or hauling. Who has time to stop for at least a 1/2 hour every 200 miles (or less depending on charger locations) of a road trip?
100% charge is not bad for batteries if it's only done on a serious road trip, which is a few times a year for most people, at most. No impact on battery life. And batteries will outlast the body of the vehicle now, anyway, almost no matter how you treat it. That's the current state of the technology.

Nobody is asking to use level 3 chargers daily.

Regular superlong distance, and heavy towing, are still the domain of gas and really diesel. That will change. But I'll grant you that the negligible percent of the population that regularly does those things is currently better served by gas.

wilberforce15

I hope everyone notices how much narrower the complaints get every year. They used to be real complaints. Now, they're laughable.

"But what about long-distance heavy hauling in Canada?! Electrics suck!"

Keep grasping at that blankey. You'll always have something gas does better.

wilberforce15

With proper care the conservative lifespan of a battery is 100k, and horror stories of tesla cell death and replacement are becoming common place.
You are making stuff up. Like out of thin air. So are they. It's a total joke.

If you buy a new Tesla when a kid is born, he'll be able to drive it in college and then, when the body finally rusts out, you can take out the battery and use it for home battery backup. lol.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
I hope everyone notices how much narrower the complaints get every year. They used to be real complaints. Now, they're laughable.

"But what about long-distance heavy hauling in Canada?! Electrics suck!"

Keep grasping at that blankey. You'll always have something gas does better.
I researched electric because I was seriously considering pre ordering the Lightning. I educated myself and formed my own conclusions. I think it's safe to say that a lot of Americans will do their research and a fair % will come to the same conclusions that I did.

wilberforce15

I researched electric because I was seriously considering pre ordering the Lightning. I educated myself and formed my own conclusions. I think it's safe to say that a lot of Americans will do their research and a fair % will come to the same conclusions that I did.
They are. That's why Tesla sold 100k vehicles a few years ago. 1 million vehicles this year. They'll do 2.5 million next year. Etc.

Your research was like a giant collection of fake news.

quad decade guy

Bravo!

Brownsocks

Just a dog
You are making stuff up. Like out of thin air. So are they. It's a total joke.

If you buy a new Tesla when a kid is born, he'll be able to drive it in college and then, when the body finally rusts out, you can take out the battery and use it for home battery backup. lol.
I guess Market watch and Car and Driver made it up too. Just because a battery can technically work after 200,000 means nothing if it has degraded to the point of needing recharged every 50 miles. All the evidence I need of Lithium degradation can be found in my cordless power tools.