Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

rickyb

I understand you are so invested in electric you have to deny any of the disadvantages.
GAS is definitely not a solution. the fact were still on it should be a major clue something is wrong; were living in the future

electric probably not a solution either. its too inefficient to have 1000s of pounds moving just one person.

wilberforce15

I guess Market watch and Car and Driver made it up too. Just because a battery can technically work after 200,000 means nothing if it has degraded to the point of needing recharged every 50 miles. All the evidence I need of Lithium degradation can be found in my cordless power tools.
Your cordless power tools are garbage, and Car and Driver gets entire budget from people who make and use gas cars. Yes, they are making it up. They are desperate to stay in business.

New Teslas will give you 2 million miles with less than 10% degradation. The body will eventually rust out, and you'll use it for grid storage for your grandkids. You're just going to have to deal with it.

quad decade guy

GAS is definitely not a solution. the fact were still on it should be a major clue something is wrong; were living in the future

electric probably not a solution either. its too inefficient to have 1000s of pounds moving just one person.
Ok. What are we going to do? OMG. Then what?

Even teleportation will take energy......

Even a horse weighs a 1000lbs........

rickyb

US and north america is a corrupt :censored2: hole country.

you have pathetic levels of high speed trains. your public transit is a joke. electrification is probably pretty low. theres obviously little planning. all the signs point to my first statement.

rickyb

Your cordless power tools are garbage, and Car and Driver gets entire budget from people who make and use gas cars. Yes, they are making it up. They are desperate to stay in business.

New Teslas will give you 2 million miles with less than 10% degradation. The body will eventually rust out, and you'll use it for grid storage for your grandkids. You're just going to have to deal with it.
elon musk is a false prophet.

his cars are unsafe.

the giant touch screen only is a hassle. look at the new steering wheel too.

where is the new transit system he promised? america is a corrupt :censored2: hole.

look how much high speed trains china built. they will be able to out compete usa because their cost of transport is much lower.

quad decade guy

"Only 1%
"Only 3%"
"Only 5%"
"Only 10%"
"Onlu 25%"
"Only 50%"

Sorry, I'm filling in your thread titles for the next few years.

All the objections just betray ignorance. The range on many electrics is identical to gas already. They're more convenient to charge than to fill up with gas, and cost-parity is imminent.
Where is this universe? Certainly not here. You must be from Manhattan or some other blue nightmare.....

We have space here. Lot's of freedom and space......I couldn't tell you where a EV station is.....

Nobody I know has an electric car.....they don't have any utility. There aren't any charging stations here. My commute takes 2 hours round trip......I'd have to have everything charged....how would I zip in and get a couple gallons to get me by.....

Why would I spend an extra $10k to have something that doesn't work?

You spout talking point platitudes.......WE live in a real world....on Earth.

quad decade guy

his cars are unsafe.

where is the new transit system he promised? america is a corrupt :censored2: hole.

look how much high speed trains china built. they will be able to out compete usa because their cost of transport is much lower.
Thanks MAO.

Communist China......

JEEZus

wilberforce15

his cars are unsafe.

The only car manufacturer with perfect 5-star crash ratings on every vehicle they make, including the first ever 5-star crash rating for an SUV.

Brownsocks

Just a dog

Electrek would like a word.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why? Lack of range, time to recharge and cost. All of those problems have been all along. With no real solutions in sight.
I recently purchased a 2021 Hyundai Kona EV with a sticker price of about $44K. NY has a Drive Clean POS rebate of up to $2K, which brought the sticker down to $42K. The dealer took another $1K off and gave me $1K more than what I owed on my trade bringing the total sticker down to about $40K. There is a federal EV non-refundable credit of up to $7,500, based on the model and the number of vehicles sold. GM and Tesla have both reached their vehicles sold limits. The Build Better Back bill, which will be signed once Joe Manchin gets his head out of his butt, proposes to add up to $5K to that rebate, and to make it fully refundable, if the car is build in a union facility. Fully refundable means that you would get the balance of the rebate once your Federal tax liability has been satisfied. For example, if you owe $5K, you would receive a refund of up to $7,500.

I love this vehicle. I have not had to buy gas since 5/28/21. I have 3 years of complimentary maintenance which is basically a top off of all fluids (EV cars do not use oil) and a tire rotation. During the summer I can get up to 315 miles on a single charge----I have noticed that this is much lower (250 miles +/-) during the winter. The complex where I live installed two Level 2 chargers in front of the clubhouse which are free to all EV owners. I also had a Level 2 charging station installed in my garage. I used the free one when the weather is nicer and the one in my garage when it is not. Driving an EV vehicle is much like driving a very expensive bumper car---you primarily use only the gas pedal---braking is done when you let off of the gas. I was a bit surprised at the acceleration----I have no problem keeping up with highway traffic and can "punch it" when needed. Mine has three different levels of resistance which is how the batteries use the engine to recharge. It has most of the bells and whistles but surprisingly did not come with a CD player (Apple play) or GPS/nav (Apple maps). There are a number of gauges to show you how much of a charge you have left and how efficiently you are driving.

To your point-----I had the same concerns when I first went to look for a EV car. ONG makes an excellent point----they are primarily commuter cars not intended for long road trips. As stated above, during the summer I can get just over 300 miles on a single charge which on a Level 2 charger is roughly 6-8 hours, depending on how much of a charge is needed. The same would take upward of an hour on a Level 3 charger. I recently drove from Salem MA to Albany NY (roughly 200 miles) on a single charge. The Mass Pike has several rest areas that have Level 3 charging stations which, as Wilber stated, could be used to charge your car while you and the family are having lunch. I did notice at several of the rest areas that non-EV cars were parked in the EV charging only parking spots.

I do have to respectfully disagree with some of the claims Wilber is making. I find it hard to believe that he drove 1K miles with only adding about 3 hours to the trip. Range anxiety is a huge concern for owners of EV cars. I have 3 different apps on my phone which let me charge on 3 different networks. The number of available EV fast charging stations will increase as the demand for EV cars increases but I would still be hesitant to drive more than 200-250 miles without planning for at least a 2 hour break. I have noticed that my utility bill has gone up $50-100/month depending upon how many times I use my home charging station.

I never would have though about purchasing an EV car had I not relocated to the Albany (NY) area, due to the low number of public charging stations where I used to live. They are plentiful down here and I never have to worry about going below 50 miles of charge. My next door neighbor has an EV Mini Cooper----he is elderly and his memory is not the best, which is probably why I saw his car being towed home on a flatbed as he had let the charge go down too low. When this happens you can't just simply plug the car in and let it charge----you also have to get it jumped.

As with any other technological change, there will be a tremendous amount of resistance, along with growing pains, but IMO the smart money is on EV cars.

wilberforce15

Electrek would like a word.
Jun. 6th 2020

That's an eternity ago. The 4680 cell is new and in production.

And even that old battery had 10% reduction after 160k.

The new ones are less than 10% after 2 million miles.

Thanks for playing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With proper care the conservative lifespan of a battery is 100k, and horror stories of tesla cell death and replacement are becoming common place.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
The only car manufacturer with perfect 5-star crash ratings on every vehicle they make, including the first ever 5-star crash rating for an SUV.
Their quality is highly questionable

rickyb

and you are certainly going to need it when you are digging through a touch screen to change air vent position. when i look at the used car buying guide from 2020, tesla only made 3 vehicles at the time...so whatever.

the touch screen is a gimmick. i know bc i used to drive rental cars, and bc consumer reports says the same.

wilberforce15

So you're completely changing your argument?

Okay. if you care about panel fittings, then Tesla is not your game. Granted.

But did you give up on the entire rest of the argument?

wilberforce15

and you are certainly going to need it when you are digging through a touch screen to change air vent position. when i look at the used car buying guide from 2020, tesla only made 3 vehicles at the time...so whatever.

the touch screen is a gimmick. i know bc i used to drive rental cars, and bc consumer reports says the same.
Safest car on the road, both on crash rate and crash performance. You're just jealous.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hydrogen is the most efficient solution, both in the production of and use in vehicles as the only exhaust is water.

rickyb

yea im looking at the data their used car verdict is slightly below average, and they have problems with paint, noise and leaks, power equipment, body hardware, and in car electronics.