Onroad Supe seems to resent the union

Tony Q

I have been working for 3 years with a young onroad supe (who never drove). I have never had any problem with him, although he has made a few remarks showing that he doesn't have much respect for the union.

So here's the story. After working as a car washer for a year, I went back to driving because I need the money. I asked for long days (including going in early for EAMs) because I am trying to save up for something. I did one rural route for five weeks and had zero problems (i.e. nobody complained about my efficiency).

I got a new (more residential) route and was given very long days (like I requested) the first few days I did the route. I hadn't done the route in 20 years so I ran overallowed about an hour. While in the office looking at my planned day for the second day I did the new route, I saw that the planned was about 11.9 hours. I said "Wow, that is a really big planned day!" The supe said something to the effect of "Well, that's what happens when you run up the miles". I was beside myself, and I said "No, I wouldn't be running up the miles when I was struggling to get everything delivered that day". I still have no idea why he would accuse me of running up the miles, but I felt that this was a ridiculous accusation.

The next day, I brought it up that I would be running low on hours on Friday because I was working about 13.75 paid M-Th. He said that I would no longer be allowed to do EAMs because of this. I said, "No, I have the seniority. I will do EAMs." He said "No. You will have to file a grievance if you want to keep doing EAMs." When I argued with him, he kept insisting that I file a grievance for the EAM work. I later called the BA and talked to the Center Manager and they immediately said that, of course, I could still do EAMs due to the seniority issue.

The young supe also said "You aren't doing the job that we are paying you to do." I shot back that I was doing the job, and he said "Well, you're not doing the job efficiently." He was basing this on running over 1.15 hours with an 11.9 planned one day and running over 0.75 with a 12.1 planned on the second and third day that I did this new route.

I guess that we are expected to run scratch on a new route with a 12 hour planned day. He followed up by saying that if I couldn't run scratch, then something would have to change such as (1) not do EAMs, (2) not do my new bid route or (3) have a 3 day production ride.

The funny thing is that this exact same situation occurred three years ago on a different route. The same supe making the same complaints. He did go out with me for a three day production ride, but they aborted the production ride after the second day because we were going slower than when I was alone. He tried to trick me several times (trying to help find packages in the load, trying to convince me to spend a lot of my break time driving to the next stop) during the production ride, but I didn't fall for it.

So I was going to ask you guys and gals if you think that I should file a harassment grievance for his out of line comments. The Center Manager and BA said that I could do EAMs and not to worry about anything, to just keep doing my job.
No offense, but don't be so sensitive. You've been around a long time according to you post above. Set yourself free and don't worry about what this supervisor or any supervisor says. you are like an orange. they will squeeze it for as much juice as you will provide. Keep your orange full of juice, you will be a loot happier if you don't worry about the small stuff.

over9five

Staff member
Call him "kid", call him "son", tell him he looks like this girl you banged 25 years ago "Might have been your mom, kid".
Respect (or lack thereof) goes both ways.

Thanks for all of the very helpful comments!

I still think it is weird that, after he said that he would take away my EAM work, he kept insisting that I file a grievance. He must have said "File a grievance" three times in 60 seconds. I can't imagine why it would benefit him if I filed such a slam dunk of a grievance. Again, when I talked to the center manager and BA about the EAM work, they immediately said "of course you can do the EAMs because of seniority". This shows me that this supe doesn't respect seniority which gets us back to the title of this thread.

I know that I could ignore him or shake it off, but at what point do you call someone out for their harassment? If this guy is going to be a supe at UPS for the next 30 years, it might benefit everybody to get him to respect the contract (that his company signed!) and seniority.

You know he will now be scouring my records and telematics for exceptions. He won't find very much.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

I still think it is weird that, after he said that he would take away my EAM work, he kept insisting that I file a grievance. He must have said "File a grievance" three times in 60 seconds. I can't imagine why it would benefit him if I filed such a slam dunk of a grievance. Again, when I talked to the center manager and BA about the EAM work, they immediately said "of course you can do the EAMs because of seniority". This shows me that this supe doesn't respect seniority which gets us back to the title of this thread.

I know that I could ignore him or shake it off, but at what point do you call someone out for their harassment? If this guy is going to be a supe at UPS for the next 30 years, it might benefit everybody to get him to respect the contract (that his company signed!) and seniority.

You know he will now be scouring my records and telematics for exceptions. He won't find very much.

From what some people have posted here, getting harassment grievences actually helps managers get promoted.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

with all due respect you sound a little naive.

expecting managers to respect the contract? any manager that i ever known that shown just a little respect for the contract was transferred, fired , or had a nervous breakdown.

thanks for the saturday morning laugh.

Tony Q

Believe it or not sometimes management needs a grievance filed in order to justify a need to their superiors over their shoulders.

MrBates

Believe it or not sometimes management needs a grievance filed in order to justify a need to their superiors over their shoulders.

I agree. I think he really wants you to file the grievance so it will get upper management off his back. * flows down...and the ORS is at the bottom of the sewer pipes along with the part time supes.

I remember when I was in the hub working with some other senior Teamsters. They kept understaffing our area, so we stuck it to them and worked as safe as possible which really didnt help the numbers for our part time floor supe. Well his manager rode him so hard, the poor guy pulled us aside and asked us to file a grievance on him for loading one of the trailers. He said "he didnt want to touch another box because of his bad back." Shortly after we filed low and behold they hire a new loader to help in our area.

As long as your doing the job correctly don't ever worry about what they say. Just play the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

You should have to do at least 50 routes before going into mgmt.
Did you mean to say drive for 50 minutes on a route? The most unsafe part of my Safety Ride is when the supe has to drive. How to these people get promoted to ORS when they cant drive a pc?

Did you mean to say drive for 50 minutes on a route? The most unsafe part of my Safety Ride is when the supe has to drive. How to these people get promoted to ORS when they cant drive a pc?
No, do 50 routes total. At least 40 blind/cold.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I have told him to pull over before he wrecked. No joke. Sumbeech was all over the road with his foot to the floor trying to decrease the overallowed on the "safety" ride.

I have cooled off a lot since the young supe said what he did 3-4 days ago. I want to say that our center manager and other onroad supes are actually respectful of the workers and union. That may be difficult to believe, but they have worked for UPS a long time, including driving. They are a mature, seasoned group.

I actually have a lot of confidence in our current center manager (he has been around our center for 25 years). I think that he will talk to the young supe and get him straightened out. If not, the BA said to call the union if the young supe ever talked to anybody like that again.

I will keep you guys and gals posted about what happens. Hopefully the center manager gets him to be respectful. If it happens again, I will file a grievance.

I wish that he would just act like the other onroad supes. I obviously pushed him too far when I was running out of hours for Friday.

cachmeifucan

Call corporate u can call anonymous 18002204126. It used to be posted in my building but we called so many times it's called ups help line not a joke. But be careful not to lie they write down everything if u leave your name hr in your building will come talk to u to try to help maybe he gets scared and it starts a paper trail.

Heavy Package

Thread: Onroad Sup seems to resent the union

Response:
No

sick.jpg

Sherlock

BrownStains

If you dont have enough hours for your route on friday then probably should drop the eams. And why do the eams at all if your maxed on hours anyway?? Your asking for more hours then your maxed on hours so they gotta cover you on friday. Your numbers are over so they probably think you're taking advantage and just milking it for the hours. I can see why they are not happy with you.