Onroad Supe seems to resent the union

A 13.75 average paid day over 4 days is starting with EAMs at 7:45 AM and working straight through until about 9:30 PM.

I only had 5 1/2 hours available for Friday so I stayed home (Layoff with Sick Pay) and I will work Saturday for the 5 1/2 hours remaining.

The weirdest thing about this whole situation is that all was fine (for years!) between management and myself (at least, as far as I know) until I started to run out of hours available for Friday. That seemed to put this supe in a bad situation, and he took to the verbal attack. This blindsided me because I am very conscientious about doing my job well. I would have already filed a grievance for this, but that might make the center manager's job tougher and he didn't do anything. I think he might talk to the supe. The center manager and I are in our early 50s and this supe is in his early 30s, so there is a generation cap there.

No, I don't regret leaving car wash. The lack of OT for a year completely slayed my finances.

How do you work a 13.75 paid day? That should literally be impossible.
Also, if he speaks to you disrespectfully, tell him you do not appreciate being spoken to that way. If it continues you tell him the conversation is over until he can be respectful. If it still continues, grieve it.
We have been told UPS can work us up to 14 hours a day. A lot of Art 22.3 and PT air drivers have been working close to that for a while. No 9.5 protection.

At this point, I am wanting the max of 60 hours/week because I am buying expensive tools. When you start knocking on that 60 hour ceiling, it gets you on the radar. If we work over 12 hours, we really should have an unpaid lunch in there. I had to take it right up to 14 hours paid 2 of the 4 days in order to get everything delivered.

Once I get to know the route, I'm sure that it won't take me too long to do the route. I had to look up over 50% of the streets, and I didn't know where any of the houses and businesses were.

Why didn't the supe comprehend that being new to the route might cause it to take longer to do the work?

I probably won't grieve it because the center manager didn't do anything here. I hope that he will tell the young supe to assert his position in a less insulting manner.

I do take everything seriously, including the business, my job and what people say. I learned a long time ago to always work in such a manner as if management is watching. I never do anything (on or off the clock) that might cause me to get fired. I had assumed that this supe knew that I was serious like this.

He may have said what he did in order to intimidate me into working on my own time in order to try and run scratch (spend my break time sorting or driving, punch out and keep working for a bit). Ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
At this point, I am wanting the max of 60 hours/week because I am buying expensive tools. When you start knocking on that 60 hour ceiling, it gets you on the radar. If we work over 12, we really should go have an unpaid lunch in there. I had to take it right up to 14 hours paid 2 of the 4 days in order to get everything delivered.

Once I get to know the route, I'm sure that it won't take me too long to do the route. I had to look up over 50% of the streets, and I didn't know where any of the houses and businesses were. Why didn't the supe comprehend that being new to the route might cause it to take longer to do the work?
You are working Saturday right? If your wanting more hours you should be working Saturdays

F

Frankie's Friend

At this point, I am wanting the max of 60 hours/week because I am buying expensive tools. When you start knocking on that 60 hour ceiling, it gets you on the radar. If we work over 12, we really should have an unpaid lunch in there. I had to take it right up to 14 hours paid 2 of the 4 days in order to get everything delivered.

Once I get to know the route, I'm sure that it won't take me too long to do the route. I had to look up over 50% of the streets, and I didn't know where any of the houses and businesses were. Why didn't the supe comprehend that being new to the route might cause it to take longer to do the work?
Why do you care? That's the why question.
Dude
grow some spine and blow it off. You care too much. When you dont give a crap what they say they'll quit saying it.

Why do you care? That's the why question.
Dude
grow some spine and blow it off. You care too much. When you dont give a crap what they say they'll quit saying it.

That is great advice. It is my nature to be serious about everything and very high strung, but I can shift my focus and energy to something non-UPS related.

Both the young supe and I don't have the best people skills, so it is not surprising that this problem came up. I think that things would have gone very well if he had just left me alone to master the route and do the work.

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

That is great advice. It is my nature to be serious about everything and very high strung, but I can shift my focus to something else (e.g. hobbies).
When you really get fed up with their mouth tell them youre filing a harassment/hostile work environment grievance for repetitive harassment and then file it the next day. Hear what they say but only respond to what is necessary. Take your steward into the "talk withs" with you. Do not feed into the supes goading. It will then go away. Be smart. Hold your cards tight. Stare at him but only respond to the bare minimum.

MrBates

So I was going to ask you guys and gals if you think that I should file a harassment grievance for his out of line comments. The Center Manager and BA said that I could do EAMs and not to worry about anything, to just keep doing my job.

Seems to me like you are stressing way too much over this. I think you need a Teamster adjustment to your balls. They might not be screwed on tight enough. Brush that dirt off your shoulder and keep doing what you are doing. If he starts talking about performance call the shop steward over and that should be the end of it. Eventually he will either give up or you'll have another supe replace him soon.

CanOSup

One of them
I'm not sure if you are ready for that.
Funnyasianscream.gif