Onroad Supe seems to resent the union

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
anytime this happened to me I would just tell him to ride along with me and show how it should be done.

every single ride along I had ALWAYS took longer than my average day because I did everything by the book.

john chesney

I have been working for 3 years with a young onroad supe (who never drove). I have never had any problem with him, although he has made a few remarks showing that he doesn't have much respect for the union.

So here's the story. After working as a car washer for a year, I went back to driving because I need the money. I asked for long days (including going in early for EAMs) because I am trying to save up for something. I did one rural route for five weeks and had zero problems (i.e. nobody complained about my efficiency).

I got a new (more residential) route and was given very long days (like I requested) the first few days I did the route. I hadn't done the route in 20 years so I ran overallowed about an hour. While in the office looking at my planned day for the second day I did the new route, I saw that the planned was about 11.9 hours. I said "Wow, that is a really big planned day!" The supe said something to the effect of "Well, that's what happens when you run up the miles". I was beside myself, and I said "No, I wouldn't be running up the miles when I was struggling to get everything delivered that day". I still have no idea why he would accuse me of running up the miles, but I felt that this was a ridiculous accusation.

The next day, I brought it up that I would be running low on hours on Friday because I was working about 13.75 paid M-Th. He said that I would no longer be allowed to do EAMs because of this. I said, "No, I have the seniority. I will do EAMs." He said "No. You will have to file a grievance if you want to keep doing EAMs." When I argued with him, he kept insisting that I file a grievance for the EAM work. I later called the BA and talked to the Center Manager and they immediately said that, of course, I could still do EAMs due to the seniority issue.

The young supe also said "You aren't doing the job that we are paying you to do." I shot back that I was doing the job, and he said "Well, you're not doing the job efficiently." He was basing this on running over 1.15 hours with an 11.9 planned one day and running over 0.75 with a 12.1 planned on the second and third day that I did this new route.

I guess that we are expected to run scratch on a new route with a 12 hour planned day. He followed up by saying that if I couldn't run scratch, then something would have to change such as (1) not do EAMs, (2) not do my new bid route or (3) have a 3 day production ride.

The funny thing is that this exact same situation occurred three years ago on a different route. The same supe making the same complaints. He did go out with me for a three day production ride, but they aborted the production ride after the second day because we were going slower than when I was alone. He tried to trick me several times (trying to help find packages in the load, trying to convince me to spend a lot of my break time driving to the next stop) during the production ride, but I didn't fall for it.

So I was going to ask you guys and gals if you think that I should file a harassment grievance for his out of line comments. The Center Manager and BA said that I could do EAMs and not to worry about anything, to just keep doing my job.
You been at this job for that long and you’re this easy. No wonder the supervisor is messing with you. Try this next time laugh and file about 5 grievances.

bumped

How do you have the same sup for 3 years. They don't last much more than a year here before they are shuffled around.

Don't talk to the sup. Come in, don't make eye contact, and if he wants to talk to you let him know when you punch in. I always tell them I start at 8:45, and I'll find them after my PCM. The sups usually say never mind.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
A lot more.
This is what people are sick and tired of... some scrub goes into mgt and since the culture allows it they can just go at someone without any respect or recourse... this is what I’m talking about... this is what is happening all over the place...

This is what people are sick and tired of... some scrub goes into mgt and since the culture allows it they can just go at someone without any respect or recourse... this is what I’m talking about... this is what is happening all over the place...
You should have to be a driver for a certain period of time before you go to the dark side

Not some 30 day wonder

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I wanted to add that when he accused me of running up the miles as well as not doing the job that they're paying me for, there was half a dozen people overhearing this each time.

Like the BA, the two stewards also both said that I wasn't doing anything wrong and not to worry about it. They emphasized that the union doesn't recognize the time study. This supe constantly relies on the time studies, as if they are scientific facts.

I don't want to tick off the Center Manager, but I would be willing to file a grievance (if appropriate) so that this young supe doesn't do this to the hourlies for the next 30 years.

Regarding my pace, I am neither fast nor slow. I just have a steady pace. I do get a lot of customers telling me to drive more slowly. I certainly am not one to talk to people.

Anyway, it is very insulting for this supe to tell me that I am running up the miles and not doing the job they're paying me for efficiently when I have been working my butt off at UPS since he was about 9 years old. I have never been injured and I just got an 8 year safe driving award.

The center manager and other supes are very reasonable. The center manager recommended that I just keep doing what I am doing. The BA and stewards said that if I filed a harassment grievance that nothing would come of it, even though the supe was just blowing smoke and showing his lack of real world experience.

Forget the grievance

Keep doing what you’re doing

Grow some thicker skin

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Sad when we have more years of service than they have years alive and they feel free to talk to us like a red headed stepchild. Smh

Well until it says RonBurgandy UPS, you are still exactly in charge of squat. I am not saying they need some training, but in the end they are in charge and you are not. You are always welcome to come to the dark side and show us how you would do it!
You would be like the 90% of the people we promote, this is the only job you have ever had and you think that you had "a couple of good sups" and that is the way you would do it or you got a great education and took some leadership classes and now you are going to try use it, then you run into "old school management" from above and hourlies from below who believe they are entitled, your true leadership "skills" would bubble right to the top. After about a year in, you are looking for new employment because you have no clue how lead.

If you think I am wrong, how many supervisors have come and gone (no longer with UPS) since you have worked for UPS.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Well until it says RonBurgandy UPS, you are still exactly in charge of squat. I am not saying they need some training, but in the end they are in charge and you are not. You are always welcome to come to the dark side and show us how you would do it!
You would be like the 90% of the people we promote, this is the only job you have ever had and you think that you had "a couple of good sups" and that is the way you would do it or you got a great education and took some leadership classes and now you are going to try use it, then you run into "old school management" from above and hourlies from below who believe they are entitled, your true leadership "skills" would bubble right to the top. After about a year in, you are looking for new employment because you have no clue how lead.

If you think I am wrong, how many supervisors have come and gone (no longer with UPS) since you have worked for UPS.

So, if it’s not working which obviously it’s not

Why keep doing the same thing over and over?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

Never said I “wanted to lead “ because I don’t. I make more money clocking in and clocking out , not taking the job home with me , with full benefits and a pension. Your not wrong. Have seen many good people turned bad over the years. And countless that have “came and gone”.

Indecisi0n

I have been working for 3 years with a young onroad supe (who never drove). I have never had any problem with him, although he has made a few remarks showing that he doesn't have much respect for the union.

So here's the story. After working as a car washer for a year, I went back to driving because I need the money. I asked for long days (including going in early for EAMs) because I am trying to save up for something. I did one rural route for five weeks and had zero problems (i.e. nobody complained about my efficiency).

I got a new (more residential) route and was given very long days (like I requested) the first few days I did the route. I hadn't done the route in 20 years so I ran overallowed about an hour. While in the office looking at my planned day for the second day I did the new route, I saw that the planned was about 11.9 hours. I said "Wow, that is a really big planned day!" The supe said something to the effect of "Well, that's what happens when you run up the miles". I was beside myself, and I said "No, I wouldn't be running up the miles when I was struggling to get everything delivered that day". I still have no idea why he would accuse me of running up the miles, but I felt that this was a ridiculous accusation.

The next day, I brought it up that I would be running low on hours on Friday because I was working about 13.75 paid M-Th. He said that I would no longer be allowed to do EAMs because of this. I said, "No, I have the seniority. I will do EAMs." He said "No. You will have to file a grievance if you want to keep doing EAMs." When I argued with him, he kept insisting that I file a grievance for the EAM work. I later called the BA and talked to the Center Manager and they immediately said that, of course, I could still do EAMs due to the seniority issue.

The young supe also said "You aren't doing the job that we are paying you to do." I shot back that I was doing the job, and he said "Well, you're not doing the job efficiently." He was basing this on running over 1.15 hours with an 11.9 planned one day and running over 0.75 with a 12.1 planned on the second and third day that I did this new route.

I guess that we are expected to run scratch on a new route with a 12 hour planned day. He followed up by saying that if I couldn't run scratch, then something would have to change such as (1) not do EAMs, (2) not do my new bid route or (3) have a 3 day production ride.

The funny thing is that this exact same situation occurred three years ago on a different route. The same supe making the same complaints. He did go out with me for a three day production ride, but they aborted the production ride after the second day because we were going slower than when I was alone. He tried to trick me several times (trying to help find packages in the load, trying to convince me to spend a lot of my break time driving to the next stop) during the production ride, but I didn't fall for it.

So I was going to ask you guys and gals if you think that I should file a harassment grievance for his out of line comments. The Center Manager and BA said that I could do EAMs and not to worry about anything, to just keep doing my job.
Regret leaving car wash yet?

F

Frankie's Friend

You must have trained the OP becuz you babble as much as he does:

I wanted to add that when he accused me of running up the miles as well as not doing the job that they're paying me for, there was half a dozen people overhearing this each time.

Like the BA, the two stewards also both said that I wasn't doing anything wrong and not to worry about it. They emphasized that the union doesn't recognize the time study. This supe constantly relies on the time studies, as if they are scientific facts.

I don't want to tick off the Center Manager, but I would be willing to file a grievance (if appropriate) so that this young supe doesn't do this to the hourlies for the next 30 years.

Regarding my pace, I am neither fast nor slow. I just have a steady pace. I do get a lot of customers telling me to drive more slowly. I certainly am not one to talk to people.

Anyway, it is very insulting for this supe to tell me that I am running up the miles and not doing the job they're paying me for efficiently when I have been working my butt off at UPS since he was about 9 years old. I have never been injured and I just got an 8 year safe driving award.

The center manager and other supes are very reasonable. The center manager recommended that I just keep doing what I am doing. The BA and stewards said that if I filed a harassment grievance that nothing would come of it, even though the supe was just blowing smoke and showing his lack of real world experience.

I won't even tell a story if I have to leave out important details. I just reread it and it took me about 60 seconds to read the first two posts.

If it is the case that he were jealous of the wages and benefits, this would explain his behavior.

After 23 years, I definitely know to just do my job and not worry about it, but these egregious comments may warrant a grievance. Or maybe not. I was just putting out there for a consensus opinion. I am on the fence about it.

I was hot to file a grievance, but the center manager gave me back the EAMs immediately and the BA and stewards said that there is nothing to be gained with a grievance. What would I be asking for, some sort of censure?

He should have been a driver. He would have run scratch on every route, even with 12 hour planned days!

I know they don't get a pension. A full time onroad supe makes about $72K/year plus the ghost MIP, I would guess?

I would do any hourly job at UPS, but none of the non-hourly jobs (part and full-time supe, OMS).

It is just weird that I would have no problems with the guy for three years, and then have a huge problem all at once. Running out of hours on a Friday really seemed to get his goat.

Like I said, all of our other supes are completely reasonable, and the one I am posting about was fine up until a few days ago.

I also remembered that he said "Oh, so you want a 6 hour planned day and take 12 hours to do it?"

He is definitely okay with my inside (clerk, etc.) work. He only gets mad when I am going to run out of hours on a Friday and then he attacks my SPOR and overallowed.

He seemed to be insinuating that I was being a slug, although he did not use that word.

That is exactly what the second steward said.

I just can't get over how he keeps going back to the time study. The union says that we don't recognize the time study, but the supe brings it up again and again. The route is so new to me; I have no idea if the time study is close to reality or not.

If he came out with me, it would be a smaller package car shelf loaded and packed with bulk. We are instructed to follow Orion, so it is more digging than delivering. I wonder what he would say when faced with the Orion debacle. Fantasy meets reality!

In an effort to eliminate his ability to accuse me of running up miles, I decided to follow Orion religiously since our EDD list will be gone very soon anyway.

I gave Orion a good shot, but I was faced with searching for certain packages in a crowded mess of a load. Needless to say, my overallowed skyrocketed due to all of the digging and searching. I'm sure the supe would be happy to go back to me just running an hour overallowed with a 12 hour planned day.

The Orion reduced the miles by less than 10% and added at least 60 minutes of digging and searching.

I have used Orion on a Saturday (50 pieces), and it's a hero. In a package car stuffed full of packages, Orion seems like an attempt at sabotage. How clueless do you have to be to keep this program alive? Don't these people who make these decisions ever go out on a route and try to use Orion in the stuffed package cars with the loads we get? I seriously wonder if these people aren't shorting the UPS stock.

Regarding the time study, I have to think that the time study was not made on a 12 hour planned day. Having 50% more pieces jammed in there makes it so much harder to find the packages.

So you work your butt off, trying as hard as you can and get accused of inflating the miles and not earning your money. Not appreciated.

So do you think I should grieve it or ignore it? I know to ignore a troll, but I like to call people out if they are out of line. Everybody I talked to at the center thought that the supe was out of control. That's why I was inclined to file a harassment grievance.

What would you say or do if an onroad supe accused you of inflating your miles and not doing the job you are being paid to do?
Good lord.
Dude! Why do you look at the driver recap report and why in the heck do you talk to this supe (who is playing you becuz youre easy) about them?
The mansgement's motto is "Say nothing". Learn it and live.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The next day, I brought it up that I would be running low on hours on Friday because I was working about 13.75 paid M-Th.

How do you work a 13.75 paid day? That should literally be impossible.
Also, if he speaks to you disrespectfully, tell him you do not appreciate being spoken to that way. If it continues you tell him the conversation is over until he can be respectful. If it still continues, grieve it.

F

Frankie's Friend

Evidently the (smart) ones that bailed out of the cult arent wasting their life posting in the union forum of BC.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
So, if it’s not working which obviously it’s not

Why keep doing the same thing over and over?

Depends what is not working? It's not working because you don't want to do it, or it's not working because it is the wrong plan/execution. That goes for both sides.