Operation Aerosmith (Amazon)

Faceplanted

UPS is overall a very smart company.
Smart but out of touch with reality. You have management with no operations experience at all running operations. Is that smart. They are attempting to make changes to our systems in place that anybody who actually does the job knows don't work, won't work, and will cost ups customers more in the long run. The past 10 years I have personally seen a huge change in the management type and it's not for the better of the company. We are spending dollars to save nickels. To top it off, there is no incentive for us employees to work hard any more or any type of pride as their used to be thanks to constant intimidation and impossible production standard.

Browndriver5

Smart but out of touch with reality. You have management with no operations experience at all running operations. Is that smart. They are attempting to make changes to our systems in place that anybody who actually does the job knows don't work, won't work, and will cost ups customers more in the long run. The past 10 years I have personally seen a huge change in the management type and it's not for the better of the company. We are spending dollars to save nickels. To top it off, there is no incentive for us employees to work hard any more or any type of pride as their used to be thanks to constant intimidation and impossible production standard.

Making $30 an hour with free insurance gives me an incentive to do a good job. I'm not 5 years old I don't need a pat on the back everyday I do my job

Ms.PacMan

You and Scuba Steve are preaching to the choir brother.....

Faceplanted

A family like system, pats on the back and respect make people work harder. Scientific fact my friend. Treat people like dirt and I'm just gonna do what I have to stay off the radar. No more above and beyond for them because I get burnt for it. Years ago it wasn't like that.

Browndriver5

A family like system, pats on the back and respect make people work harder. Scientific fact my friend. Treat people like dirt and I'm just gonna do what I have to stay off the radar. No more above and beyond for them because I get burnt for it. Years ago it wasn't like that.

It is what it is. I know I'm just a number at UPS. I also know I have benefits and pay that a lot of people would love to have. That is what makes me work hard, the thought that I can have a very successful life because of UPS

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Wow so much inaccurate statements in these posts, it makes one's head hurt.

Mr Scuba Steve
You apparently don't know much about the shipping industry to have UPS afford you to live on 4 contingents if you think "it'll be a whole new ball game when Fedex combines it's ground and air into a single operation ".

Let me break it down for you. Fedex will never combine those operations unless they are forced to by some government agency. They do it to avoid taxes and unionization which I should expect you to know if you're so involved high up in the industry. The teamsters would love for them to combine. Then they could organize locally instead of being forced to do it nationally only right now. They keep their services separate because it puts more money into Fred's hands. It also puts them at a service disadvantage. 3 different "companies" making the same delivery at multiple times doesn't always mean they're super efficient.

Of course fedex has to build ground hubs. They had a very small network acquired through RPS. Did you think they wouldn't? Every major company including ups invests in their networks through upgrading or building new. That isn't a shock.

As far as your claims about the USPS, their operating expenses far outweigh their revenue for packages. They use their monopoly on 1st class mail to fund offering cheap package rates and Amazon Sunday delivery. Sad thing is they're losing money on the segment every quarter even without their pension liabilities. Their guys are compensated close to what we are in pay/benefits. The only reason they aren't out of business is because they get government backed loans at 0% interest to offset their losses. They also don't pay taxes both local or federal. The USPS is 5 or so years behind in technology and infrastructure then us as well.

Ups made profits this quarter. All their segments were up and their numbers were positive. Do they have their issues? Absolutely. So do fedex and USPS. The one thing I will say about ups is they are a very conservative company with regards to their debt, investments and revenue. They're actually positioned quite well. If they were losing money or profit per pieces, then you'd have a point.

But they aren't and you don't. And how does a person who has travelled all over, come across as very little understanding or education? It usually is the opposite.

Faceplanted

I have had the pleasure of working for publix grocery while In college, lots of their money saving ideas actually come from employees who are on the front lines every day. They have a program set up just for that. Things like that end up saving tons of money, inspire new ideas and allow for it to be one of the fastest growing supermarket chains in the USA

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It also depends on the individual. Personal integrity and work ethic take into consideration.

Scuba Steve

Order something from USPS and wait 3 months to get it

I need to stop posting...

I said the other day, I received an Amazon delivery on Sunday from the post office. I blocked out the location and tracking number but two days flat not two business days..

Attachments

• usps.png
    usps.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

brett636

I'll have to echo ScubaSteve's sentiment on this topic. Everytime I see a Fedex ground or HD truck on the road I wonder how that could not have been our volume instead. Does nobody here believe that Fedex and the USPS ultimately want to eat our lunch when it comes to the volume that we do have? I understand that we are the major player on the block when it comes to package delivery, but with competition coming from all sides including our own customers such as Amazon how can nobody be worried that the party may be over sooner than we think? I am not trying to say the sky is falling because we are busier than ever at my building, but at what point do we get worried? When layoffs start to occur across the board? When UPS starts to discuss insolvency? I say the discussion should begin now while are are still king of the hill in package delivery. Fedex ground is a real threat to our future as a company, and this may not become a reality for another decade or two, but that still doesn't mean it isn't a possibility as they are growing at a faster pace than we are as a company. I certainly hope the hubris displayed here isn't present in our sales or other key departments because if so those of us who need this company to survive another 25-30 years minimum better start thinking of other places for an income if the currently unthinkable occurs.

Faceplanted

Most of our sales guy tell me after a customer switches to fedex "don't worry they'll be back after fed ex/usps screws up"

The thing is FedEx and usps are making huge strides in service, and are basically comparable to us now, with FedEx ground gaining on us in ground transport time.

These companies aren't coming back and the sales guys keep thinking this way while I see things happening another with my own eyes

Scuba Steve

Wow so much inaccurate statements in these posts, it makes one's head hurt.

Mr Scuba Steve
You apparently don't know much about the shipping industry to have UPS afford you to live on 4 contingents if you think "it'll be a whole new ball game when Fedex combines it's ground and air into a single operation ".

Let me break it down for you. Fedex will never combine those operations unless they are forced to by some government agency. They do it to avoid taxes and unionization which I should expect you to know if you're so involved high up in the industry. The teamsters would love for them to combine. Then they could organize locally instead of being forced to do it nationally only right now. They keep their services separate because it puts more money into Fred's hands. It also puts them at a service disadvantage. 3 different "companies" making the same delivery at multiple times doesn't always mean they're super efficient.

Of course fedex has to build ground hubs. They had a very small network acquired through RPS. Did you think they wouldn't? Every major company including ups invests in their networks through upgrading or building new. That isn't a shock.

As far as your claims about the USPS, their operating expenses far outweigh their revenue for packages. They use their monopoly on 1st class mail to fund offering cheap package rates and Amazon Sunday delivery. Sad thing is they're losing money on the segment every quarter even without their pension liabilities. Their guys are compensated close to what we are in pay/benefits. The only reason they aren't out of business is because they get government backed loans at 0% interest to offset their losses. They also don't pay taxes both local or federal. The USPS is 5 or so years behind in technology and infrastructure then us as well.

Ups made profits this quarter. All their segments were up and their numbers were positive. Do they have their issues? Absolutely. So do fedex and USPS. The one thing I will say about ups is they are a very conservative company with regards to their debt, investments and revenue. They're actually positioned quite well. If they were losing money or profit per pieces, then you'd have a point.

But they aren't and you don't. And how does a person who has travelled all over, come across as very little understanding or education? It usually is the opposite.

Fred Is 71... and wont be involved much longer. They avoid taxes by using subcontracted labor and vehicles right? The main thing is Fred's hatred of unions. When accountants end up running the company like they have with UPS, you will see that change. The contractors have proven that the teamsters efforts have failed. The Teamsters would have to attempt to Organize every sub contractor which is a small business owner. Good luck with that working out. So how is it the teamsters have not been able to organize Fed Ex EXPRESS since they have been in business since 1971? They have made gains in Freight. The pilot group is unionized... They have already started using the ground network for deferred air. BTW the profit per piece did drop. It is Continents not "contingents" Thanks for the education.

You all are right. UPS will never fall from the top spot.... Time for me to leave...

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Fred Is 71... and wont be involved much longer. They avoid taxes by using subcontracted labor and vehicles right? So how is it the teamsters have not been able to organize Fed Ex since they have been in business since 1971? The pilot group is unionized... They have already started using the ground network for deferred air. BTW the profit per piece did drop. BTW its Continents not "contingents" Thanks for the education.

Because Fred has people in high places that he paid off to make it extremely difficult for FedEx to unionize.

Browndriver5

"Executives said they expect full-year earnings to be at the higher end of its forecast of $5.05 to $5.30 per share, which would indicate an increase of between 6 percent and 12 percent over 2014."

I think we are doing just fine...

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Fred Is 71... and wont be involved much longer. They avoid taxes by using subcontracted labor and vehicles right? The main thing is Fred's hatred of unions. When accountants end up running the company like they have with UPS, you will see that change. The contractors have proven that the teamsters efforts have failed. So how is it the teamsters have not been able to organize Fed Ex EXPRESS since they have been in business since 1971? The pilot group is unionized... They have already started using the ground network for deferred air. BTW the profit per piece did drop. BTW its Continents not "contingents" Thanks for the education.

You all are right. UPS will never fall from the top spot.... Time for me to leave...
Contingents =autocorrect.

Well Mr Scuba Steve if you have been in this business like you claim, you would know why fedex express hasn't been organized by the teamsters because of this:

http://www.civilrights.org/publications/fedex-rla-loophole/introduction-the-fedex-loophole.html

Oh and they aren't running airs through their ground hubs. I'd love to see your proof on that. If it were true, express would lose their classification under the railway act.

I love how you took my information of how fedex avoids taxes through subcontracting and turned it into a question like you knew.

That right there shows you were never employed by either in the industry.

Oh and accountants run fedex just as well. They aren't immune to that.

What color is mom's basement ?

Returntosender

Amazon understands that the more aspects of your business you control, the better, and it's getting closer to becoming less dependent on shipping carriers. Two reports out this week provide a fascinating look at what the retail giant is doing to build out its own logistics infrastructure and how it could impact the USPS, UPS, DHL, and FedEx

Mark Solomon writes in DC VELOCITY, "Amazon.com Inc. has begun the process of assembling a high-level executive team to lead the company's push to develop its own transportation network, according to a person familiar with its strategy and planned execution."

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/pl/2015/10/1445531490.html