Opinions needed on a 20 yr mans firing...

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
It's our union .

I have said this over and over again, if every member would actively get involved as a member, attend meetings regularly, vote as a member, not only in your local union elections but in every election of public officials as well, we would all have a much stronger voice!!!

amndacatr

Couldn't agree more to gr, it is the members who should take the matter into their hands and do the needful. Their active participation would help have a better impact on the society. It is not only the talks that we should be doing, but actively taking part in the decision making would help you have the desired results in the long run.

UPSSOCKS

A co-worker of mine was fired. It went to panel & the company said no to his job, as did 2 of the union reps. His offense was a yard roll away that caused minor damage. The employee has no prior history & has been a good worker for nearly 20 yrs. First off, why would the union vote against him. Second, is there any other avenue he can pursue to get his job back? Many people in the past have had far worse roll aways and gotten their jobs back. Can he call the labor board, or his his only recourse a lawyer?

Another prime example of how the union does not care about any of you. Those two union reps probably got an extra personal day out of the deal in exchange for a no vote. Union reps and officials only care about themselves... Thanks for your union dues.

UPSSOCKS

I have said this over and over again, if every member would actively get involved as a member, attend meetings regularly, vote as a member, not only in your local union elections but in every election of public officials as well, we would all have a much stronger voice!!!

I bet you have to pay a cover charge to get into the meetings.... STRING THEM UP, THEY ARE ALL CROOKS.......

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Another prime example of how the union does not care about any of you. Those two union reps probably got an extra personal day out of the deal in exchange for a no vote. Union reps and officials only care about themselves... Thanks for your union dues.

And the company does care for you and I....ummm I dont think so. I have seen some supervisors go the extra mile for employees which is the exception. I have seen most employees go the extra mile for the company/customers which is the norm IMO, but that is what is EXPECTED regardless, no excuses. I have seen many SS or BA go above and beyond also....Some might feel the same way about govt, or being in the military.

tieguy

Banned
Sounds like he got screwed to me. I'd sue. UPS and the Union. Its been done here and the employee won. Ended up retiring from UPS many years later.

If what you say about his work history is true, then he got sold out. For whatever reason someone in management wanted him gone and they cut a deal at the panel to make sure it happened.

we can't make an objective analysis on this case without having all the facts that were pesented.

What the op is telling us is that we have a model employee who made one mistake that was minor in damage. We are then expected to believe the company cut a deal to get rid of the model employee and that the union agreed to dump the guy.

something does not add up. Perhaps the op can provide us with a copy of the arbitrators decision to read through? Your buddy should be able to get it. Get it and send it to red. he can tell us what he sees.

gorilla75jdw

@Tieguy , i will work on that copy,its water under the bridge now ,ive been with the company for 17yrs, , ive been a steward for 14yrs. this was a case that never should have escalated past a center level hearing .the ba and the company are in a war ,and this guy just got caught it the middle of it ,and it happens like that. point blank it was a cardinal sin "avoidable rollaway" , , it wouldnt be so bad if the other five employees who had avoidable rollaways in our same hub ,got off with time served suspensions. this guy was a no problem employee, at work everyday,did his job,made 1 mistakeand got crucified for it. never seen anything like it , regardless of a war . this is why society has breaking news on c.n.n. all the time . its messed up . im going to attempt to get that arbitrators desicion if the b.a. will provide it , and i would only think , he will not .

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
@Tieguy , i will work on that copy,its water under the bridge now ,ive been with the company for 17yrs, , ive been a steward for 14yrs. this was a case that never should have escalated past a center level hearing .the ba and the company are in a war ,and this guy just got caught it the middle of it ,and it happens like that. point blank it was a cardinal sin "avoidable rollaway" , , it wouldnt be so bad if the other five employees who had avoidable rollaways in our same hub ,got off with time served suspensions. this guy was a no problem employee, at work everyday,did his job,made 1 mistakeand got crucified for it. never seen anything like it , regardless of a war . this is why society has breaking news on c.n.n. all the time . its messed up . im going to attempt to get that arbitrators desicion if the b.a. will provide it , and i would only think , he will not .

I've seen a lot of roll aways in my time, but I've never seen a termination stick for a simple roll away on a driver with a clean record.

My recollection of the panel is that the union almost never goes against the employee unless the violation is dishonesty, drugs, illegal or very severe. The BA being in a war with the company should have no influence on the union at the panel. The union can show many, many cases of roll away reinstatements, therefore it would be pretty easy to demonstrate that the penalty is unjust and too severe for the violation.

There is likely more to the story. My guess is that he was terminated for an unreported accident/dishonesty.

upswrench

Probably went to company care for a piss test.. and did not study hard enough for it !!!!! this would be the only reason i would think he is not back