Oregon Stations : FXExpress

GorkyPark

So I assume that you're talking about transferring into the HIOA station. It's probably a better choice than the other two Portland area stations but they are all pretty dysfunctional. Bad management, lazy couriers and a general lack of giving a :censored2: all add up to some rough days. Also the price to own or a rent a home in the area is skyrocketing. If you want to avoid the downtown routes stay out of PDXA OR MRIA. Good luck.

SmithBarney

What is known to be the best state to work in for Express as a courier? I guess there's no one right answer to this, but from those who have worked in different parts of the country, what states were the best? - Try not get to specific - Don't list any station names.

I'd Say midwest/rockies try to find a station that is 1.5hrs from the ramp, generally means later starts, and earlier pulls. Of course if you are looking for $$ go elsewhere because you'll be bottom market level, but on the flip side the cost of living in rural america is generally nice and FedEx wages actually work in these areas.(most of the time)

l22

I'd Say midwest/rockies try to find a station that is 1.5hrs from the ramp, generally means later starts, and earlier pulls. Of course if you are looking for $$ go elsewhere because you'll be bottom market level, but on the flip side the cost of living in rural america is generally nice and FedEx wages actually work in these areas.(most of the time)

Later starts would be ideal. But if I could become an P/T AM shuttle driver who drives from a station to the ramp back and forth and the station is 1.5 hours from the ramp, I'd take that in an instant haha. I thought even if you are on the top market level but live in a place that has a very high cost of living (like NYC for example), you don't end up making more when you actually consider your living expenses, as well as state income tax (if any). Florida has no state income tax, which sounds nice. As a courier, working in a rural area seems a lot better than working in a city.

l22

If I can't fully leave Express, I hope I can just become a AM shuttle driver, PM seems to much like a courier to me because of the pickups.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Later starts would be ideal. But if I could become an P/T AM shuttle driver who drives from a station to the ramp back and forth and the station is 1.5 hours from the ramp, I'd take that in an instant haha. I thought even if you are on the top market level but live in a place that has a very high cost of living (like NYC for example), you don't end up making more when you actually consider your living expenses, as well as state income tax (if any). Florida has no state income tax, which sounds nice. As a courier, working in a rural area seems a lot better than working in a city.

In a lot of places in Florida, PTers get weekly guarantee pay every week.

l22

In a lot of places in Florida, PTers get weekly guarantee pay every week.

If there is not a lot of work to do that sounds ideal. The charm of the shuttle driver position (at certain stations) is the long commute between the station and the ramp. Where I am it is only 30 min.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If there is not a lot of work to do that sounds ideal. The charm of the shuttle driver position (at certain stations) is the long commute between the station and the ramp. Where I am it is only 30 min.

Depends on the area. Beach areas have "in season", where it's busy. Out of season, volume drops considerably. I had four PT jobs, including FedEx, when I lived there.

whenIgetthere

My station is 90 minutes from the ramp, we have NO shuttle drivers. Everything arrives on the CTV's, docs, DG, FO included.

The management is not terrible at all, the people are all pretty nice also. This is of course from a P.M. perspective, I can not comment on the A.M.
So, what are the approx times of a PM shift in the Pacific NW? Since I'm moving out there, I've been curious about the shift times considering that OR is further away from Memphis/Indy than I am in N Texas.

Just to give you a heads up, if you're from California, be prepared to get an earful from any Oregonian you tell. Many people here think that the reason why Portland cost so much to live in now is because people from California are selling their homes for big bucks and buying cheap real estate relative to them.
I'm not from California...so, no worries there. In my visits to Oregon, I've noticed some contempt for Californians
But, I live in N Texas....where they hate everybody equally

My first choice would be Salem...but, I rarely see positions open there
Second option is Springfield

SmithBarney

So, what are the approx times of a PM shift in the Pacific NW? Since I'm moving out there, I've been curious about the shift times considering that OR is further away from Memphis/Indy than I am in N Texas.

Since probably a majority of your freight will come from Oakland(CA I think) your start won't be delayed too much, but what usually happens is you have early pulls out there, of course it depends on location...

Nolimitz

PNW gets freight from both Oakland and MEM. Our MEM flight goes thru/stops in Casper Wy. The black hole that eats airplanes for breakfast. Early pulls here are not that common unless weather really sucks but do happen. OB freight has an RTB of 17:15 to 17:30 here