Organizing your package car.

oldngray

nowhere special
Sorting costs a little time but saves time overall. You just can't stand there staring at packages like you have a brain freeze. You have to do it quick and keep moving.

Foamer Pyle

Yes truck must be organized to the best of your ability .... after the morning crap storm they throw in there ......as you progress through your morning slowly put the load in a neat fashion... look around ( without moving(unless its in the way) what the larger resi boxes are etc and keep a mental note)... keep your hand cart either strapped or out of your way but secure it....it is your friend but it will bite you if your not careful ... be as neat as you possibly can without wasting alot of early time... once the crap storm has settled you can allow more time to put the puzzle in place.
Funny thing, you mention the hand cart. We had a driver, not too long ago lose a tooth from not having his handcart secure. His car was at at an angle in the car, and as he was sorting a box fell off the shelf and hit the base of the cart, knocking it into his face. Instant tooth extraction!

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And so does looking for a pkg that fell into the wrong area

The only way I can see you saying what you say is because of your load and your loader , not all of us a blessed with a 70 stop day and a good loader

140 stops, 400 pkgs, 28 pickups, 200 pkgs.

My loader was off this week for finals so I was stuck with one of the worst loaders in the bldg. Still did not sort---cursed him out several times on road---but still did not sort.

Sent using BrownCafe App

mdnj88

I sort after lunch (1230-1330) and I usually take 10 mins after the first stop after lunch. I put it in pal order. Even if the dol isn't correct or the way I run the route. It ls a lot faster to sort that way for me because I'll at least know where it is according to diad. As for the person who said they sort in morning. That would definitely not fly in my center.
They bum rush us out as fast as they can and if for any reason it takes longer than 10 minutes we code it off to preload. I think it's little s skilled something in other work which is preload they tell us.

mdnj88

140 stops, 400 pkgs, 28 pickups, 200 pkgs.

My loader was off this week for finals so I was stuck with one of the worst loaders in the bldg. Still did not sort---cursed him out several times on road---but still did not sort.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Exact sane thing for me. I cursed him
ALl week. I have similar numbers to you but 180+ stops

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I sort after lunch (1230-1330) and I usually take 10 mins after the first stop after lunch. I put it in pal order. Even if the dol isn't correct or the way I run the route. It ls a lot faster to sort that way for me because I'll at least know where it is according to diad. As for the person who said they sort in morning. That would definitely not fly in my center.
They bum rush us out as fast as they can and if for any reason it takes longer than 10 minutes we code it off to preload. I think it's little s skilled something in other work which is preload they tell us.
Never ever have used a pal label to sort out anything. Knowledge is king sir lol.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I sort to the extent I'm looking on the perticular shelf for the next parcel. If I can't find it I send in a message not found as per center policy and move on. If I find it later I'll go back and run it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I sort my first section before I leave the building in the morning. I am boxed in by other package cars and I can't move until about two thirds of the drivers move their cars. If the Preload is down, we are told to record ten minutes of AM time even if it is really twenty. I just work as directed, I make more money doing it their way. I do stop and sort several times during the day, I like everything lined up so I don't waste time searching for packages when I get to a stop. As sorry as our Preload is, its a good idea to make sure I actually have the correct package before I drive to the next stop. We get ORION next month, I'm sure it will work as well as PAS/EDD......
I'm an extremely organized person by nature, I always like to plan ahead.

brostalss

Do either of you realize how much of a waste of time it is to stop and sort the pkg car?

Sorry, but I don't see it as a waste of time. I'm organized, remaining stops pulled to forward shelves ready for pick ups, ALOT less stress, I know where everything is, It's stop for stop, I work alot smoother and safer, don't look like a maroon not being able to find that one more box, takes me only three seconds to grab that next box, scan it and be walking to deliver it rather than frantictly looking for it when it's 135 in the back, then fallling behind.........shall I continue?

It's called I take Pride in my job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry, but I don't see it as a waste of time. I'm organized, remaining stops pulled to forward shelves ready for pick ups, ALOT less stress, I know where everything is, It's stop for stop, I work alot smoother and safer, don't look like a maroon not being able to find that one more box, takes me only three seconds to grab that next box, scan it and be walking to deliver it rather than frantictly looking for it when it's 135 in the back, then fallling behind.........shall I continue?

It's called I take Pride in my job.

I am also an extremely organized person. Perhaps I am just lucky in that I have an excellent preloader but I spend little to no time sorting. He was off this week and I had Waldo loading the car but I still spent little to no time sorting.

mdnj88

Never ever have used a pal label to sort out anything. Knowledge is king sir lol.

Oh believe me I can sort it stop for stop by address. But ups did the hard part by putting a number on every box. It's a lot easier for me at least, to say hey this stop is on the 3115 shelf instead of trying to remember where I put 8 Beverly rd. when I'm down to about 30 stops everything gets moved to 2000 and put in the order that I'm going to do it. That's usually done at my last pickup while I'm waiting for them to bring the pickup pieces to the dock 3-5 minutes.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I run everything off the 2000 shelf as well to start my day and most of the day. The 1000 n 2000 shelves are reversed. the 2 top shelves are used for late afternoon residential storage. Its the biggest shelf and the most abundant as far as the the volume of space to store boxes. It helps keep a lot of stuff off the floor as far as residentials are concerned. Floor is always used for bulk stops and big boxes. All depends on route obviously. The dols are so jacked up on most routes anyway.