ORION and the upcoming peak...

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
8F62957A-21A0-4156-B8CB-FED46C53B902.gif

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Did your paycheck bounce Friday? Do you think that it will bounce this Friday? You're still coming in on Saturday right?
Man it's Christmas, just come in and do the route Orion style. Consider every Friday a triumph. You're making good money. After peak Orion will still be in effect. If you really want to succeed just keep on doing it everyday until YOU are ready to call it quits on your terms. That's winning.

542thruNthru

For the most part, I have a route that can run ODO and I actually prefer to run it that way if the conditions are right. However, I'd say more than half of the time--probably more, if I'm being honest, they're not. Orion is set up so that:

1) The car is in stop-for-stop order.

2) Preload will be wrapped up before start time.

3) There will be no traffic delays.

4) Delivery conditions will be perfect. e.g. I won't have to take the time to bag 5 large packages for a resi because it's raining.

5) No add/cuts or late NDA.

In other words, "Dear ORION, you're living on Fantasy Island."

One thing I don't see mentioned here much regarding ORION is the discrepancy in when I actually get to my first stop of the day vs. when ORION says I should be there. ORION makes no adjustments for when we leave the building late so just about every day of the week I am behind.

Let's say I don't have any air I have to break off for on a day I leave the building late: My day won't be affected, most likely except that I'll punch out later, obviously. However, if I leave the building late and have extended air?: Fifteen minutes behind? Not too much of a big deal. 30 minutes behind? ORION will be more difficult to follow. An hour behind? My day is going to be a pull-over-and-scroll-fest.

On my last route, which was country, I would almost always get extended next day air every day. So, if I'm leaving the building an hour behind, ORION is going to think I'm on time (snorts) and thinks I can deliver the ground in that area and not have to come back to it in the afternoon. Or maybe I'm on time and I have ground that ORION is telling me to deliver when I'm doing the air. (It's ALWAYS a 5500, 6500, 7500 or 8500 number. You know, the stuff you can't get to or find because the car is too stuffed to get to that area of the shelf?) Either scenario, I'm not going to have time to dig through the shelf to try and find the ground because of air commits; it will be a smalls that the preloader loaded with 10 other smalls buried behind packages that I can't get to, or it will be an oversized that I also can't get to without unloading half my car. (That's if I can see the labels on my floor packages. Snorts again. Yeah, right.)

So when all this happens ORION just won't work. Does it make sense to drive back out 10 miles where I was earlier to deliver the ground I couldn't find and then drive 10 miles back to stay on trace?

What's your solution, I.E.? Would you like to come out with me and show me how to run it the way you want me to while being safe and successful?

I once asked my supervisor on a safety ride if management wants us to run ODO, then why isn't the car loaded in ODO order and he said that will never happen.

How do I run my route now? Mostly ODO, but ALWAYS with the idea that I'm going to run it the most efficient way possible. I like making overtime wages, but I also try to work smart, not hard and if ORION is wanting me to work hard or unsafe I'm going to say "forget that" and run it my way.

Management can talk to me all they want about why on a particular day I did not run ODO in compliance, but I'm always going to have a legitimate answer as to why I didn't. I'm not a time waster. I want to do my job and go home with the least amount of fuss.

I'm not mentioning anything new here. I think by now we're all perfectly aware of ORION's shortfalls. I've been around long enough to know things won't change. Learn to accept and do the best you can. I just wanted to rant. By the way, buckle up. This won't be my last rant.

-end of rant-

TLDR

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
For the most part, I have a route that can run ODO and I actually prefer to run it that way if the conditions are right. However, I'd say more than half of the time--probably more, if I'm being honest, they're not. Orion is set up so that:

1) The car is in stop-for-stop order.

2) Preload will be wrapped up before start time.

3) There will be no traffic delays.

4) Delivery conditions will be perfect. e.g. I won't have to take the time to bag 5 large packages for a resi because it's raining.

5) No add/cuts or late NDA.

In other words, "Dear ORION, you're living on Fantasy Island."

One thing I don't see mentioned here much regarding ORION is the discrepancy in when I actually get to my first stop of the day vs. when ORION says I should be there. ORION makes no adjustments for when we leave the building late so just about every day of the week I am behind.

Let's say I don't have any air I have to break off for on a day I leave the building late: My day won't be affected, most likely except that I'll punch out later, obviously. However, if I leave the building late and have extended air?: Fifteen minutes behind? Not too much of a big deal. 30 minutes behind? ORION will be more difficult to follow. An hour behind? My day is going to be a pull-over-and-scroll-fest.

On my last route, which was country, I would almost always get extended next day air every day. So, if I'm leaving the building an hour behind, ORION is going to think I'm on time (snorts) and thinks I can deliver the ground in that area and not have to come back to it in the afternoon. Or maybe I'm on time and I have ground that ORION is telling me to deliver when I'm doing the air. (It's ALWAYS a 5500, 6500, 7500 or 8500 number. You know, the stuff you can't get to or find because the car is too stuffed to get to that area of the shelf?) Either scenario, I'm not going to have time to dig through the shelf to try and find the ground because of air commits; it will be a smalls that the preloader loaded with 10 other smalls buried behind packages that I can't get to, or it will be an oversized that I also can't get to without unloading half my car. (That's if I can see the labels on my floor packages. Snorts again. Yeah, right.)

So when all this happens ORION just won't work. Does it make sense to drive back out 10 miles where I was earlier to deliver the ground I couldn't find and then drive 10 miles back to stay on trace?

What's your solution, I.E.? Would you like to come out with me and show me how to run it the way you want me to while being safe and successful?

I once asked my supervisor on a safety ride if management wants us to run ODO, then why isn't the car loaded in ODO order and he said that will never happen.

How do I run my route now? Mostly ODO, but ALWAYS with the idea that I'm going to run it the most efficient way possible. I like making overtime wages, but I also try to work smart, not hard and if ORION is wanting me to work hard or unsafe I'm going to say "forget that" and run it my way.

Management can talk to me all they want about why on a particular day I did not run ODO in compliance, but I'm always going to have a legitimate answer as to why I didn't. I'm not a time waster. I want to do my job and go home with the least amount of fuss.

I'm not mentioning anything new here. I think by now we're all perfectly aware of ORION's shortfalls. I've been around long enough to know things won't change. Learn to accept and do the best you can. I just wanted to rant. By the way, buckle up. This won't be my last rant.

-end of rant-
154DABC3-4C70-46D0-A590-B25542A12026.gif

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
I clocked off at 8:30 tonight. Had to do my last 40 stops with a helper phone because my DIAD battery died.
The only reason I made it in by 8:30...was because I turned off ODO in the office this morning and used RDO and common sense to chop 29 miles off of ORION’s so-called “solution”.
The MapNav garbage is killing us. Everyone on my center is struggling with dying DIAD batteries due to MapNav. Even if I wanted to use it...it shuts itself off around 3 or 4 everyday to conserve battery power. But by then it is too late, the battery is down to 30% and it wont survive the night.

This is getting effing ridiculous....
Do you get paid more when you beat ORION?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Thanks for enabling inept Management!
“Enabling” would be if I tore my hair out in frustration and by some miracle found a way to make service on the all packages while still allowing them generating the 85% compliance metric they need in order to make believe that ORION actually works.
Thats not what I am doing. I am turning ODO off and using RDO plus common sense to get the work done in less miles.

Last edited:

onewithedd

Orion puts the pickups in the trace. It will split two pickups I have in the same plaza that are scheduled two minutes apart, and put 3 or 4 delivery stops and an a couple more pickups a 1/2 mile away between those 2 pickups and on top of that according to Orion all my letter box pick ups would be done way before the scheduled pickup times.

So to the Orion developers who read this and can give all the excuses as to why this happens, face it, ORION IS A FAILURE!!! It has cost UPS hundreds of million dollars it will never recoup. More airplanes would have been a better investment

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
“Enabling” would be if I tore my hair out in frustration and by some miracle found a way to make service on the all packages while still allowing them generating the 85% compliance metric they need in order to make believe that ORION actually works.
Thats not what I am doing. I am turning ODO off and using RDO plus common sense to get the work done in less miles.
Do you get paid more for all that extra effort?