ORION and the upcoming peak...

Boulevard859710

I have yet to encounter a single driver...at my building, at a union meeting, on Brown Cafe, or on the UPS Teamsters FB page...that believes that ORION is anything other that pure garbage.
Even the on car supervisors know that it is crap, but they will only admit it in hushed tones and after looking around nervously to make sure no one is listening.
The only people who are still drinking the ORION Kool Aid....are people who will never actually have to use ORION on a delivery route themselves.
ORION is a great concept...from behind a desk.
It looks like an amazing solution...on a computer monitor.
But it fails miserably in the real world where the packages actually get delivered.
Including this driver.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
IE was right.... Orion does work.

46975887_2250472258297288_4805130520805507072_n.jpg

542thruNthru

Then, when a ft sup or center manager is within earshot, say "I'm gonna make a whole lotta money today!"

Oh I like to say with in ear shot "I can't wait to see the look on their faces when I bring back 50 stops. It's going to be pricless."

I also like when they say "do your best out there."

I sometimes like to say back. "To bad for you I don't feel my best today."

Rubber Puckies

There is more to ORION than simply turning a route onto ODO. It requires proper ordering of the Delivery Order Listing within every route and the territory they have dispatched to them so that ORION has a baseline to work from. This all has to be done properly prior to a DPS plan being published into DMS (where the PAL information generates from).

But after this plan is set and published, any unforecasted air stops and add/cuts can really mess up the trace. So my guess is many of these drivers that have botched up routes are probably in hubs where the PDS actually has to publish the plan way in advance so that when the preload starts processing packages and filling up the boxlines even though the evening sorts haven't even finished. Now they are stuck making add/cuts because certain routes blew up 50 stops heavier, or came up 50 light because the historical data used wasn't accurate, thus destroying whatever "plan" they initially had and the end result being a driver setup for failure.

In my center ORION works, because 99% of the year, I can publish my plan after the hub sorts are finished so I don't have any need to use historical data.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
There is more to ORION than simply turning a route onto ODO. It requires proper ordering of the Delivery Order Listing within every route and the territory they have dispatched to them so that ORION has a baseline to work from. This all has to be done properly prior to a DPS plan being published into DMS (where the PAL information generates from).

But after this plan is set and published, any unforecasted air stops and add/cuts can really mess up the trace. So my guess is many of these drivers that have botched up routes are probably in hubs where the PDS actually has to publish the plan way in advance so that when the preload starts processing packages and filling up the boxlines even though the evening sorts haven't even finished. Now they are stuck making add/cuts because certain routes blew up 50 stops heavier, or came up 50 light because the historical data used wasn't accurate, thus destroying whatever "plan" they initially had and the end result being a driver setup for failure.

In my center ORION works, because 99% of the year, I can publish my plan after the hub sorts are finished so I don't have any need to use historical data.

Cool story bro

How ya gonna fix it

35years

Gravy route

My center manager and dispatch supervisor think that Orion works on my route.
That is only because we are too many years removed from the performance I was able to maintain pre-ORION.
I do 15% less stops than before ORION, in the same amount of time, with more miles.

I fought ORION when they rolled it out, sometimes beating it by 40-60 miles. I saved the daily report from the day I beat it by more than 60 miles.
Then they threatened discipline for poor ORION trace.
I said OK, it's your company, and your dime. Never looked back even when they begged me later to stop running ORION trace.

I just smile now when they say how well ORION works on my route.

The only problem is when a certain long-time utility driver who knows my route, decides to burn it up. Then he runs 40 miles under the ORION plan and gets in under 8 hours.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That is only because we are too many years removed from the performance I was able to maintain pre-ORION.
I do 15% less stops than before ORION, in the same amount of time, with more miles.

I fought ORION when they rolled it out, sometimes beating it by 40-60 miles. I saved the daily report from the day I beat it by more than 60 miles.
I said OK, it's your company, and your dime. Never looked back even when they begged me later to stop running ORION trace.

The only problem is when a certain long-time utility driver who knows my route, decides to burn it up. Then he runs 40 miles under the ORION plan and gets in under 8 hours.

If they ever bring it up, ask how closely said utility driver followed orion trace.

35years

Gravy route
How would ORION handle businesses with hours that are different Tuesday and Thursday?
-Scattered business spread over 100 square miles?
-Business that is closed between 12-1 or 1-2pm?
-CODs for a business where the customer is consistently at lunch at delivery time and the driver knows where he eats?
-Businesses that close during inclement weather such as golf courses, when there is an alt delivery point on those days?
-A business that closes early on Friday?

The best is a business that is 20 miles away from the start of the route, but the owner's house 15 miles closer. ORION has no clue so it has me deliver 15 stops on the way out there, when i don't have to make the run at all. Then we leave the bldg late and I only get 7 of the extra stops done, and the rest are now out of the way on the way back.

ORION is not flexible, and does not adjust to changing circumstances. It is not just a mater of fixing the DOL.

When push comes to shove and the stops actually have to get done during peak, ORION trace is set to RDO 100%. That tells you something, dosn't it?

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Your center manager and dispatch sup dont care whether ORION actually works or not.
They only care that you are generating the compliance metric that their superiors want to see on a report.
Blind obedience gets you promoted at UPS. Common sense doesn’t.

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
For the most part, I have a route that can run ODO and I actually prefer to run it that way if the conditions are right. However, I'd say more than half of the time--probably more, if I'm being honest, they're not. Orion is set up so that:

1) The car is in stop-for-stop order.

2) Preload will be wrapped up before start time.

3) There will be no traffic delays.

4) Delivery conditions will be perfect. e.g. I won't have to take the time to bag 5 large packages for a resi because it's raining.

5) No add/cuts or late NDA.

In other words, "Dear ORION, you're living on Fantasy Island."

One thing I don't see mentioned here much regarding ORION is the discrepancy in when I actually get to my first stop of the day vs. when ORION says I should be there. ORION makes no adjustments for when we leave the building late so just about every day of the week I am behind.

Let's say I don't have any air I have to break off for on a day I leave the building late: My day won't be affected, most likely except that I'll punch out later, obviously. However, if I leave the building late and have extended air?: Fifteen minutes behind? Not too much of a big deal. 30 minutes behind? ORION will be more difficult to follow. An hour behind? My day is going to be a pull-over-and-scroll-fest.

On my last route, which was country, I would almost always get extended next day air every day. So, if I'm leaving the building an hour behind, ORION is going to think I'm on time (snorts) and thinks I can deliver the ground in that area and not have to come back to it in the afternoon. Or maybe I'm on time and I have ground that ORION is telling me to deliver when I'm doing the air. (It's ALWAYS a 5500, 6500, 7500 or 8500 number. You know, the stuff you can't get to or find because the car is too stuffed to get to that area of the shelf?) Either scenario, I'm not going to have time to dig through the shelf to try and find the ground because of air commits; it will be a smalls that the preloader loaded with 10 other smalls buried behind packages that I can't get to, or it will be an oversized that I also can't get to without unloading half my car. (That's if I can see the labels on my floor packages. Snorts again. Yeah, right.)

So when all this happens ORION just won't work. Does it make sense to drive back out 10 miles where I was earlier to deliver the ground I couldn't find and then drive 10 miles back to stay on trace?

What's your solution, I.E.? Would you like to come out with me and show me how to run it the way you want me to while being safe and successful?

I once asked my supervisor on a safety ride if management wants us to run ODO, then why isn't the car loaded in ODO order and he said that will never happen.

How do I run my route now? Mostly ODO, but ALWAYS with the idea that I'm going to run it the most efficient way possible. I like making overtime wages, but I also try to work smart, not hard and if ORION is wanting me to work hard or unsafe I'm going to say "forget that" and run it my way.

Management can talk to me all they want about why on a particular day I did not run ODO in compliance, but I'm always going to have a legitimate answer as to why I didn't. I'm not a time waster. I want to do my job and go home with the least amount of fuss.

I'm not mentioning anything new here. I think by now we're all perfectly aware of ORION's shortfalls. I've been around long enough to know things won't change. Learn to accept and do the best you can. I just wanted to rant. By the way, buckle up. This won't be my last rant.

-end of rant-