ORION and the upcoming peak...

GenericUsername

Wow, who's balls you tickle for that bid.

It's what was assigned to me for peak. There's 3 or 4 spots that are pretty heavy for resis during peak. I know a lot of area in the cities we cover here and the one I had last peak was centered between a few other routes and communities we had golf cart routes in.

barnyard

KTM rider
Last year we had RDO. The direction we've been given in regards to Orion is that if it's in a position in the car that makes no sense for us to grab it, ignore Orion and work with what makes business sense.

That is what I have been told too. I have many days where I deliver 3 stops, skip 8-12 and just do them later when it makes sense. I deliver many sections in reverse Orion order so that I am delivering them in EDD order. I am finding that the tighter the area, the more likely Orion will be running very close to EDD order. I would expect that my area will be 260ish stops and should be able to run 80% orion at peak.

35years

Gravy route
Orion can be programmed to follow RDO in what ever % your Center management team thinks will work out best. The ODO A.M stops can even be programmed to follow RDO at 10-90% and the P.M. stops at a different %.

We were one of the first centers with ORION. We have not had RDO displayed in the DIAD for a long time. Our management team has ODO mirror RDO at 90%+ during peak. If your management team lets ORION run wild this peak they are crazy.

We also have had the 70 hour rule imposed on us the last two years. Rolling thousands of stops every day from late November till January.
I worked 9:30 A.M. to 11:00 P.M. on a daily basis, bringing back stops every day (sometimes classified as emer cond, sometimes missed).
One of our drivers was disciplined for not helping out after 10 P.M.
At that point even the most dedicated drivers realize there is no "getting it done" anymore, and so no one even tries to finish them all.

The 70 hours in 8 days rule was a joke. You reset Saturday night+Sunday and only need 34 hours off to reset the clock. So I was forced to work 83+ hours in 8 days continuously NOV-Jan. And I am a 35+ year UPSer. I laughed every time UPS told the press none of our drivers worked over 70 in 8 days, our entire hub did!

The economy is even stronger this year. There will be more competition for seasonal workers and internet sales will continue to grow.
Our Center's situation will be coming to many centers this year.

Until all hours after 60 are voluntary, I will vote no every time.

GenericUsername

Yeah, I won't work more than 50 hours due to safety. I don't care the location of where someone works, anything more than 5 10 hour days is going to wear out your body too quickly and cause extreme physical or emotional stress at some point. I'm not willing to put my well being or the public's well being in jeopardy to deliver QVC to some old lady who has nothing better to do.

And before people start posting "good luck with that, enjoy your next job" bs, it's already been done ever since I made it into the Union. Getting a note from a doctor does amazing things.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
So, the company gave you a medical accommodation.... ?
They should in my building due to a local "light duty" agreement.
Garunteed hours are waived however. Backwards logic but the company does not seem to abuse it too harshly: I got 4 hours every day on a weight restriction for 2 weeks by preparing empty bags for the smalls sort tilt table.

keeb86

They will turn Orion off, and they’ve already done it a couple times already in my center when everyone was screwed harder than they normally are(late air + heavier stop counts).

Blackadder 2

I told my center manager the other day to look at my Orion trace, yes he knows it is awful, and I asked him how this is going to go when I have twice as many stops and packages.

He just walked away, he knows we are screwed and he is helpless to stop it.

Basically just go with the up coming failure that is peak 2018, there is nothing any of us can do other than cash the paychecks.

Heffalump

They will turn Orion off, and they’ve already done it a couple times already in my center when everyone was screwed harder than they normally are(late air + heavier stop counts).
When they " turn off Orion" does that mean you can just wander around? Just curious lol