Orion. Center Manager losing his mind.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Wait a minute. Did you say search and hope? Do you not realize that we are going back to search and hope per Orion? The major difference is that there is much more work on the truck now.
Some extra work but not that much more. My route is maybe 10 stops.

Have you ever worked the old way? If you did, you would hate it like no tomorrow.

Have you ever worked the old way? If you did, you would hate it like no tomorrow.
Wasn’t that tough. Don’t be such a drama-queen I know of routes with 80 or more stops than they had in 1998.

F

Frankie's Friend

Wasn’t that tough. Don’t be such a drama-queen I know of routes with 80 or more stops than they had in 1998.
My old metro route went up 50+ stops daily.
92 stops 16 pickups was a 9 hr day.
Now 145 stops and 29 pick ups is about a 9.5 hr day plan.

M

MenInBrown

Orion made my stop count go down. It has me in the bad traffic at times I would avoid before. 145-150 stops use to be a 9.5 day. Now 130-135 is 9.5+ day. Thanks Orion! Now you pay me 10.5-11hrs a day plus weekly 9.5 grievances.

Thegameisrigged

The old way and knowing how and where everything is can’t be that bad. I’m actually working “the old way” because they took our RDO. I can actually work my truck from 1000-8000 because I had dispatch set my route up in that order. I’m going as fat as saying my rdo trace is perfect. I run my route like I have no edd.

The old way and knowing how and where everything is can’t be that bad. I’m actually working “the old way” because they took our RDO. I can actually work my truck from 1000-8000 because I had dispatch set my route up in that order. I’m going as fat as saying my rdo trace is perfect. I run my route like I have no edd.
The only professional way to do it.

Knothead

Yep.
The "old way" with sequence numbers and a load chart was fine. I used to pull over under a tree and sort the whole car stop by stop and carry on. 15 or 20 minutes sorting saved hours of digging and backtracking.

Heavy Package

I’m actually working “the old way” because they took our RDO. I can actually work my truck from 1000-8000 because I had dispatch set my route up in that order.

Very true. With no RDO and a :censored2:ed up ORION - I just grab 1/2 a shelf, look at it, and deliver that area. Rinse and repeat. I'm at the point where I don't even care what the DIAD says anymore on routes that I know.

Also, funny thing this week with the new no RDO roll out... Not a word, not a peep, from management on ORION trace %. Really? Very telling of what people at the local level think about this.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

So the solution to Point 1 is to load the car in ODO, and point 2 is for ODO to be somewhat dynamic - upon stop complete it reruns the solution for remaining stops. The trick to this is, the solution in point 2 will have to be pretty close to the original one or the driver will STILL be searching for packages out of sequence order, or, the driver simply has to live with the original ODO.

The bottom line is the ability to run a route correctly needs to be socialized across the company and not solely in the head of one or two individuals. Also, as you add services and delivery customization, the routes will become more complex, change on a daily basis, and the routines good drivers use won't apply anyway.

The company will have to gamble that the money they spend in the transition will be worth everyone's time when (if) the solution works like it's supposed to and revenue continues to rise.

One thing we know we can't do, is just "leave everything alone" in RDO and be complacent. Other companies will eventually beat us at customization and win the business in that case.

The market is changing to where customers, right or wrong, will expect a motorcycle to come up next to an Uber they're riding in and hand their package through the open car window because they bought a Panic! at the Disco ticket and couldn't be home that day.
The data ive seen indicates your right on the money. From the article in logistics Management.com i posted in another thread, UPS plans on separating the routes into primarily business and primarily residential. In my loop 4 routes this could be done easily from UPS's standpoint and would raise stops per car from 160 ave to 200 per car. To do this would take in residential areas from adjacent loops thus the effect in out center would be a instant raise in SPC and assist in the implementation of the "On Time Network "

Coldworld

60 months and counting
My question is why don’t they just realize it doesn’t work as they planned it would? You’d think overallow went down as a result of forced Orion given the fact that that the higher ups swear by it, but overallow went way up.
It’s all a dog and pony show for the shareholders....nothing more nothing less

The Real Jack RyanMI6

Very true. With no RDO and a :censored2:ed up ORION - I just grab 1/2 a shelf, look at it, and deliver that area. Rinse and repeat. I'm at the point where I don't even care what the DIAD says anymore on routes that I know.

Also, funny thing this week with the new no RDO roll out... Not a word, not a peep, from management on ORION trace %. Really? Very telling of what people at the local level think about this.
My guess is wait till A contract is ratified this one or any

dudebro

We are worried about winning business?

The company doesnt care about businesses.

SMH

Sure it does, but it uses data to decide what businesses want. Give John Doe a dollar lower price on shipping and he may opt for being stop 108, even if the shipping guys grouse about it.

Same with airlines. People hate cramped seats but if Expedia has a seat to Florida for $188 and Travelocity has one for $187, guess what people do?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
UPS could have licensed many other products out there and saved literally hundreds of millions of dollars - all without the added headache of this massive boondoggle.

The cars needed to be loaded in ODO now so that delivery load matches more closely to delivery order. Basic concept. FYI I don't need the turn by turn directions until after both of these things happen first. And obviously drivers who know the route can at east turn that function off.

UPS thinks delivering packages is rocket science. It isn't. The post office has been doing it since Benjamin Franklin started it up.
Can you imagine how much better everything would be running if they had started all of this expansion a decade or more ago?

Maybe they thought internet shopping was a fad....