Orion Compliance

Rainman

Its all good.
Orion is just as messed up on rural routes as it is on any other route. Our center goes from downtown routes with 30-40 miles a day to routes app. 300 miles a day.

Like anything else here, it isn't a totally bad idea. If it was implemented in a way that we could follow it when it makes sense and ignore it when it didn't, it would be a decent tool. Like most good ideas, it's the crappy implementation that kills it. As far as turning it off, that's just asking for discipline.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
....For those in rural areas, ORION err's will not affect you in the same way as a metro center. You may not even feel the mistakes.

TOS.

Trust me, ORION is just as bad on a rural route as it is on an urban one...i have saved up to 30 miles by turning it off.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

That's the problem, Orion puts us in a no win situation unless you "cooperate" ....

I prefer to think of it as a "no LOSE" situation.

If the company gives me two seperate sets of instructions that directly conflict with one another, they cannot then discipline me for failing to follow both of them at the same time. In other words...I am pretty much free to decide which instruction I will follow, which for me means ignoring ORION and making service on my deliveries and pickups in an efficient and timely manner. If they want to write me a warning letter for doing a good job they are certainly free to do so. Its not like I have to care.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

ORION thinks that this is a public road that I should use to gain access to the other road that intersects it.

Its not a public road; its a tractor path thru a farmers alfalfa field. I'm more than welcome to use it if I have a delivery for the farmer, but not otherwise. And if I even tried going out there in the winter I would be stuck in mud up to my axles.

All roads look flat and paved and accessible on Google Earth. Unfortunately for the ORION dimwits, I run my route on the REAL earth.

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1395690889.727180.jpg

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I think it's more of a no win situation. If I don't follow Orion I am not working as instructed....lose. If I follow Orion I spend more time at risk and away from my family....lose. It puts mgt in the posistion that they can either punch you in the nose or kick you in the ass, either way you lose.

Indecisi0n

I think it's more of a no win situation. If I don't follow Orion I am not working as instructed....lose. If I follow Orion I spend more time at risk and away from my family....lose. It puts mgt in the posistion that they can either punch you in the nose or kick you in the ass, either way you lose.
Just to clarify I would prefer to be hit on my bottom.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
NO manager wants to be the first to jump on the grenade that will be a grievance for not following ORION. In an arbitration, the manager would have to admit that the program fails at 100% to perform the job in the best interests of the company. This is required by contract. All employees must "act in the best interests of the business". Article 37 clearly grants this obligation upon the employees.

Now, in an arbitration, the company wants to discipline a driver for failure to follow ORION. The employee counters that in his/her experience, ORION does not work in the best interest of the route, customers or the business, and in the drivers analysis using ORION would hurt the business.

The company would then have to demonstrate that ORION does in fact work better than the driver can perform the route on his own.

Of course, we all now know that ORION fails and the company reduced its expectations to 85% compliance. This in itself is an admission that it doesnt work.

Those drivers who have experienced ORION so far, can tell you that following ORION only puts you way behind, has you doubling back on streets you would have finished on one pass, has you leaving streets incomplete to cross town a couple of miles and at the end of the day, increases miles and does not save miles.

An Arbitor can look at payroll/WOR just as easy as a manager can, and he can tell the difference between production and going in the hole. An arb can look at "TRACE" or planned day and it can be established that a route is clusterblasted from the jump in the morning.

Any two bit business agent could demonstrate that stops are being missed causing delays using all the companys tools.

An arb would easily rule that ORION does not allow the driver to comply with article 37 "acting in the best interests of the company".

TOS.

NW.Hunter

Not sure how this will work with my route since most of the time due to bulk rear door and floor stops and can't even access most of shelves 5-6-7-8 until a little after lunch

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Not sure how this will work with my route since most of the time due to bulk rear door and floor stops and can't even access most of shelves 5-6-7-8 until a little after lunch

Here's how that works, you will be expected to climb over or under it to get to the rear shelves. There is no calculation ORION can make to accomodate bulk. ORION cannot determine what sizes the pkgs are. It can only determine what shelf they are suppose to be on, regardless if its a sleep number bed set clogging up your isle, ORION "thinks" its on the shelf.

We all have bulk issues to deal with, and ORION makes the process that much more complicated when you have to work around it.

As I did, I unloaded my bulk onto the street to get to an ORION planned stop off shelf 8 in the morning and then reloaded it. One stop took close to 15 minutes for 1 ground stop.

Do that a few times and the engineer will just tell you to turn it off.

TOS.

soberups

It probably WONT work.

Thats why you need to be willing to just turn it off, get the work done, and (maybe) listen to your supervisor whine about "compliance" the next day.

Let him whine. You work in the real world, he doesnt.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JL 0513

If Orion wants me to select a buried package early in the day and there's no way to get to it, I just do a "not find". I write that stop down so I don't forget it and deliver later when I'm back in the area. No way in hell I'm killing myself and digging that package out.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If Orion wants me to select a buried package early in the day and there's no way to get to it, I just do a "not find". I write that stop down so I don't forget it and deliver later when I'm back in the area. No way in hell I'm killing myself and digging that package out.
Wow u play along just like they want huh.

giggity

NO manager wants to be the first to jump on the grenade that will be a grievance for not following ORION. In an arbitration, the manager would have to admit that the program fails at 100% to perform the job in the best interests of the company. This is required by contract. All employees must "act in the best interests of the business". Article 37 clearly grants this obligation upon the employees.

Now, in an arbitration, the company wants to discipline a driver for failure to follow ORION. The employee counters that in his/her experience, ORION does not work in the best interest of the route, customers or the business, and in the drivers analysis using ORION would hurt the business.

The company would then have to demonstrate that ORION does in fact work better than the driver can perform the route on his own.

Of course, we all now know that ORION fails and the company reduced its expectations to 85% compliance. This in itself is an admission that it doesnt work.

Those drivers who have experienced ORION so far, can tell you that following ORION only puts you way behind, has you doubling back on streets you would have finished on one pass, has you leaving streets incomplete to cross town a couple of miles and at the end of the day, increases miles and does not save miles.

An Arbitor can look at payroll/WOR just as easy as a manager can, and he can tell the difference between production and going in the hole. An arb can look at "TRACE" or planned day and it can be established that a route is clusterblasted from the jump in the morning.

kind of along that same line, has anyone yet filed grievances AGAINST orion or is anyone's local trying t fight it?? mine was looking into it, but haven't heard anything lately ..

Any two bit business agent could demonstrate that stops are being missed causing delays using all the companys tools.

An arb would easily rule that ORION does not allow the driver to comply with article 37 "acting in the best interests of the company".

TOS.

giggity

don't know what happened to my reply/question, but I'm curious if anyone has actually filed against orion or is anyone's local tryinto fight it??

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
we are scheduled to get it in either April or May and my group are planning on being 1
You want me to unload half the truck onto the street?
yep. We arent paid to manage the route,be efficient, satisfy customers etc. any longer .

This is the NEW UPS and we are paid to work safely,by the methods,and to follow the operations plans drawn up from a Cube Rat who has never seen the inside a package car. <shrug> the old days are long gone,aint coming back and ya'll might as well wave by to them in the rearview mirror
Much like there is no longer Music on MTV,or History on the History Channel ,Service will no longer really be a part of UPS in the coming years