Orion Compliance

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You can run all the stops on the same street without it being a break. Use it to make your job easier, and save your breaks for when Orion acts like a total maroon. That way you can run sensibly and still keep management off your case. It's here to stay, so we might as well make the best of it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

This is the lamest thing ive heard about ORION. "USE IT TO MAKE YOUR JOB EASIER?"... WTF is this suppose to mean?

"SAVE YOUR BREAKS for when ORION acts like a maroon?".... Really?

SO what youre saying is that "we" need to "counter calculate" ORION during the day to correct the mis-calculations that it makes before we leave the building?

Why is that our responsibility?

Here's our responsibility with ORION, either run it the way it comes out of the board, or dont use it at all. It either works or it doesnt.

I (for one) will not allow ORION to put me behind the 8ball in the first couple of hours, then turn the crap off and attempt to make up the lost time doing it "my way" the rest of the day.

By doing it "your way off/on", you are giving the company a "false positive" that the system works. If by running ORION 100% regardless of the outcome, shows the company that it doesnt work, then maybe they will reconsider implementation.

Giving the company an out, by sort of using it, sort of turning it off and then sort of using it again, doesnt demonstrate to the company that it FAILS to function properly.

The company is only interested in numbers, not reality. Maybe when we service fail enough packages and stops by running ORION 100% will they take another look at wasting any more money on it.

We cannot manipulate the numbers enough, just to make 85% compliance just so some center manager doesnt have to take a phone call.

Screw that. Let him stay on the phone all day for all I care.

The reality of ORION is pretty simple. IT DOESNT WORK.

Maybe in some rural area, spread out for miles it may make some difference, but in a dense city or a metro area, it wastes time, miles, overtime and increases service failures.

I had it attempted three times on my route. IT FAILED all three times. I was told to "cooperate" by using it sometimes and shutting it off other times. I was told that I had to use my judgement, and I responded that in my judgement "I" wasnt going to use it at all.

If my judgement comes into play, I will not manipulate it to save anyones behind, in my judgement, my way still outperforms this P.O.S.

TOS.

Rainman

Its all good.
This is the lamest thing ive heard about ORION. "USE IT TO MAKE YOUR JOB EASIER?"... WTF is this suppose to mean?

"SAVE YOUR BREAKS for when ORION acts like a maroon?".... Really?

SO what youre saying is that "we" need to "counter calculate" ORION during the day to correct the mis-calculations that it makes before we leave the building?

Why is that our responsibility?

Here's our responsibility with ORION, either run it the way it comes out of the board, or dont use it at all. It either works or it doesnt.

I (for one) will not allow ORION to put me behind the 8ball in the first couple of hours, then turn the crap off and attempt to make up the lost time doing it "my way" the rest of the day.

By doing it "your way off/on", you are giving the company a "false positive" that the system works. If by running ORION 100% regardless of the outcome, shows the company that it doesnt work, then maybe they will reconsider implementation.

Giving the company an out, by sort of using it, sort of turning it off and then sort of using it again, doesnt demonstrate to the company that it FAILS to function properly.

The company is only interested in numbers, not reality. Maybe when we service fail enough packages and stops by running ORION 100% will they take another look at wasting any more money on it.

We cannot manipulate the numbers enough, just to make 85% compliance just so some center manager doesnt have to take a phone call.

Screw that. Let him stay on the phone all day for all I care.

The reality of ORION is pretty simple. IT DOESNT WORK.

Maybe in some rural area, spread out for miles it may make some difference, but in a dense city or a metro area, it wastes time, miles, overtime and increases service failures.

I had it attempted three times on my route. IT FAILED all three times. I was told to "cooperate" by using it sometimes and shutting it off other times. I was told that I had to use my judgement, and I responded that in my judgement "I" wasnt going to use it at all.

If my judgement comes into play, I will not manipulate it to save anyones behind, in my judgement, my way still outperforms this P.O.S.

TOS.
I never said to turn it on/ off. Reread my post. I never refer to use as a maroon, or use any other terms to degrade you. I debate your views, but I don't trash you personally, I talk about some of your ideas. You need to use better manners. We are adults here, not children.
Management already knows Orion is screwed up so not using it will get you discipline, which you will deserve for deliberately disobeying a direct order.
If you want to sling a fit over Orion, don't aim it at me. I put down what I found worked. Use it if you want or ignore it. But don't use me for your doormat because I don't take it from management and I won't take it from you.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I never said to turn it on/ off. Reread my post. I never refer to use as a maroon, or use any other terms to degrade you. I debate your views, but I don't trash you personally, I talk about some of your ideas. You need to use better manners. We are adults here, not children.
Management already knows Orion is screwed up so not using it will get you discipline, which you will deserve for deliberately disobeying a direct order.
If you want to sling a fit over Orion, don't aim it at me. I put down what I found worked. Use it if you want or ignore it. But don't use me for your doormat because I don't take it from management and I won't take it from you.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Somebody needs a :beerhat:

Pkgcar1988

I used to try for 100% everyday! Now I run my air and businesses the way I want (around 55-65 stops) and deliver my resi stop for stop following Orion (around 70-85 stops). Still making above 90% compliance and only around 6-8 miles over instead of 10-15 miles. I know I shouldn't give in but have found this way is much easier and keeps me safe while doing my busy work. I have been on Orion since November and had finally found a common ground where they don't say anything to me about it I and have a little bit of sanity left at the end of the day.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Sent using BrownCafe App

What are you talking about? I said your "CONCEPT" was L A M E, not YOU, but the idea is plausible.

We get that management knows ORION is screwed up, thats not our point. Maybe its YOU that needs to read a little more clearly.

The point is, that management is UNWILLING to report to the COMPANY that ORION doesnt work. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY wants to jump on that grenade at the management level.

Instead, they attempt to convince people to turn it on when it works, then shut it off when it puts you behind, then make up that time doing it in a way that you have already been doing it for years rendering the program useless.

Im not slinging a fit over ORION, rather, I dont use it. It failed, I pointed out it failed, I ran it their way until the failures came to the surface and I wasnt about to fix the mistakes of the program using the methods i have used on my route for over 23 years.

If at the end of the funnel it comes down to doing it "MY WAY", then guess what? Im doing it my way from the jump.

It was you that used the word maroon in your original post and i quoted you vs called you a maroon.

It is you that needs to read more carefully.

You suggested that "We" need to employ a tactic of turning off turning on to satisfy the company, and that my friend is an unacceptable proposition.

It isnt MY job to correct company mistakes. If some yahoo at corporate thought he re invented the wheel with ORION, then it is HE THAT FAILED. Not I.

I will run ORION to the letter the day its forced upon me, until then, Im back to running the route the way I always have since day one.

Me vs Orion ? I win.

TOS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is what happens when you put people in charge who spend their life looking at a computer screen. It looks great on a computer screen but in the real world its a horror show.

I would love to have the CEO in my car for a day and have him explain to me how this is a smart thing, and more important a safe thing.
I don't have Orion yet but from what I hear how does it even look good on paper? From what I understand you could look at how it has a day mapped out and instantly say wtf.

Pkgcar1988

He had to run it one day when I had the day off with a new guy , he came in at around 70% and something like 15 miles over. I asked him what happened and he said it makes no sense so he shut it off and ran it the way he wanted. I don't think the center manager was to happy with him but worked in my benefit as they are now going to retrace my route to see if they can get it to map it out correctly. Will see what happens.

Rainman

Its all good.
What are you talking about? I said your "CONCEPT" was L A M E, not YOU, but the idea is plausible.

We get that management knows ORION is screwed up, thats not our point. Maybe its YOU that needs to read a little more clearly.

The point is, that management is UNWILLING to report to the COMPANY that ORION doesnt work. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY wants to jump on that grenade at the management level.

Instead, they attempt to convince people to turn it on when it works, then shut it off when it puts you behind, then make up that time doing it in a way that you have already been doing it for years rendering the program useless.

Im not slinging a fit over ORION, rather, I dont use it. It failed, I pointed out it failed, I ran it their way until the failures came to the surface and I wasnt about to fix the mistakes of the program using the methods i have used on my route for over 23 years.

If at the end of the funnel it comes down to doing it "MY WAY", then guess what? Im doing it my way from the jump.

It was you that used the word maroon in your original post and i quoted you vs called you a maroon.

It is you that needs to read more carefully.

You suggested that "We" need to employ a tactic of turning off turning on to satisfy the company, and that my friend is an unacceptable proposition.

It isnt MY job to correct company mistakes. If some yahoo at corporate thought he re invented the wheel with ORION, then it is HE THAT FAILED. Not I.

I will run ORION to the letter the day its forced upon me, until then, Im back to running the route the way I always have since day one.

Me vs Orion ? I win.

TOS.
You are right. I was reading in too much of a hurry. I have seen you some of your other posts and assumed improperly. My mistake and I apologize. I have gotten too much crap from management over the years and I have learned that of I take it from them they will keep giving it. Sometimes I can be a little touchy. My bad.

Sent using BrownCafe App

JackStraw

I haven't gotten it yet, but I was wondering how the hell do you know if your 85%? To me, it seems it would work if the packages were loaded according to the PAS/EDD system where you can pick and pull the 4 digit number. We all know it would be next to impossible for a loader to do this with the volume and the bulk. Maybe if all the loads were like they art in the training videos, and all of the towns were like Clarkville.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I haven't gotten it yet, but I was wondering how the hell do you know if your 85%? To me, it seems it would work if the packages were loaded according to the PAS/EDD system where you can pick and pull the 4 digit number. We all know it would be next to impossible for a loader to do this with the volume and the bulk. Maybe if all the loads were like they art in the training videos, and all of the towns were like Clarkville.
Yeah there's a reason they tell us to turn it off during peak. They know there's no way it would work. Problem is we have peak loads 12 months a year now.

wayfair

swollen member
I was instructed to help a tcd before peak because he was dying... 75 deliveries left at 6 pm...

I don't know the entire route, but I know certain areas. (splits I get)

So I asked to see his board to see what he had left, I was like WTF??? he was following ORION and had stops left in EACH SECTION... I simply turned it off and told him I'd take the rest of section 8... 15 stops

Turtle17

How do u turn off "Orion"?!! We getting it next week. And would like to know how to do this. Been reading all the horror stories of this operation and sounds like ups is spending money in a wasted time of time!!'

Sent using BrownCafe App

thessalonian13

That's how I look at it. At first, I stubbornly ran it 100% to prove a point that it did stupid things. It resulted in some friend'd up days. Once I figured out the strategy and timing, I decided it's just best to work with it and use the breaks strategically.

It's true. Orion isn't going anywhere for a number of years, until the next big thing.
Stubborn drivers will just be shooting themselves in the foot if they go 100% blind. Unless you enjoy the excess overtime and resulting talks with management.
Resulting in talks with management???? If you follow their instructions 100% then they can't discipline you no matter how long it takes to do your route. Play their Orion game and let them choke on their numbers.

JL 0513

How do u turn off "Orion"?!! We getting it next week. And would like to know how to do this. Been reading all the horror stories of this operation and sounds like ups is spending money in a wasted time of time!!'

Sent using BrownCafe App

It's really a toggle button to go from ODO "Optimized Delivery Order" (ORION) to RDO "Regular Delivery Order" (EDD as usual). This button is at the bottom right of your screen. I believe that button was the "scheduled" button before. This replaces that.

JL 0513

Resulting in talks with management???? If you follow their instructions 100% then they can't discipline you no matter how long it takes to do your route. Play their Orion game and let them choke on their numbers.

That's the problem, Orion puts us in a no win situation unless you "cooperate" and use your 10-15% and "fix" Orion's mistakes each day. That's the only way to be productive.

If you run it 100%, they'll likely be after you asking WTF happened yesterday because you're 1.5 hours over and 10 miles over. If you feel to reach a decent %, they'll demand you follow it because those are the demands from the top.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Sent using BrownCafe App

The only GOOD thing about ORION is the ability to TURN it OFF. On your main screen, at the bottom right corner where you normally see the SCHED button for pickups, is the new VDO or RDO button. (pickups are gone from that location and you have to change screens to get to pickups..)

Before you even leave the hub, you can walk to the computer screens that the company over purchased and placed right outside your center. You can click on your route number and actually see how the route is mapped out for the day.

When you do see it, you will look at your first 5 stops and tell yourself friend-this. You wont even bother to look at the remaining stops for the day because they are all just that bad.

Then you start your day, and hit the button RDO button to toggle to your normally scheduled DOL order. You can toggle back to VDO to see what ORION wants you to do just for laughs, but then you know you have to get serious about your day and simply toggle it back and call a friend and tell him how stupid it is..

Now, one thing that the engineers are begining to do with ORION. Because of its failures to do its job as designed, the engineers are now starting to do what they call "SHADOW RIDES".

A "Shadow Ride" is simply the engineer tracing "your trace" and then manipulating ORION to Follow "your trace patterns".

This way, if they can get ORION to follow "your trace", you then get to do it "your way" and ORION will be in compliance once again giving the company a "FALSE POSITIVE".

But who cares up the food chain? They were stupid enough to buy into this hokus pokus so they wouldnt have the first clue how to look for such things.

A "shadow ride" can come close to "mirroring" your trace, but its not always possible in dense areas.

Anyone knows it wouldnt be long before the people doing the implementation would come up with a way to cheat the system and pretend the functionality is working properly.

Like I said, if you dont have it yet, dont expect a miracle cure for your day. They will only get longer, your miles increased, and your overtime increased.

It happens on everyones car.

For those in rural areas, ORION err's will not affect you in the same way as a metro center. You may not even feel the mistakes.

TOS.