Orion Compliance

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
There is no doubt that ORION has been a catastrophic failure since its launch. In my center, we had a pcm where our manager boasted about saving 360 miles a month now that we have been on ORION for 2 months. We all LAUGHED out loud as the daily recap posted everyday shows that we average a plus 172 miles a day on orion.

How did the manager come up with these savings numbers??

Easy, he took out 6 cars.

If you subtract the "TO AND FROM" mileage from each car taken out (20 miles each way/40 total miles) you get 240 miles per day. Multiply that by 5 and you get 1200 miles, multiply that by 4 and you get 4800 miles cut off the road.

Now, if you take the 172 over miles and multiply that by 30 you get 5160 miles over. Subtract 4800(cut miles) from 5160 (over miles) and you get a whopping 360 OVER MILES for the month.

NO SAVINGS at all.

Of course, the managers numbers are all baloney, but it works in the realm of UPS management thinking. We as drivers are suppose to be the stupid ones.

Now, factor in that with 6 cars cut, overtime has gone through the roof with the majority of the center now working 12 hours a day. We are missing pickups, delivering late air, service failing packages and angering customers with late deliveries because they disolved business routes and added them to other business routes making the delivery time after 1pm instead of morning time.

ORION itself is the largest contributor of over miles. With a ride along and doing ORION 100%, I can run as much as 17 miles over everyday vs. not using it at all. With ORION I have an 11 hour paid day. Without ORION i run a 9.5 day and reduce miles.

The second contributor to overmiles, is the off area misload problem that preload cant fix. Meet points, cross town windshield time to deliver an off area and such continue to EAT miles.

Whoever sold this idea to UPS made a ton of money. Whoever sold UPS all the equiptment for this program made a ton of money. All the computer screens at the center, the software, the main computer and such provided a ton of money for some provider.

And when you factor in the extra OVERTIME ORION is generating, how does this save the company money in the long run?

ORION is a bust. There is nothing they can do to fix it other than tell us to "turn it off" or dont load it into the diad in the morning.

Another ginormous technology failure for the company.

TOS.

Rico

The plan is to make sure it 'works' well enough so that the management team responsible gets to keep their jobs and their bonuses.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Well I cut their miles by 3, I was 91% in trace, so they called it a 7.42 day, and I was 1.79 late.
I was told this morning that my customers would have to learn to live with their delivery times, its all about miles, and I know several have called. I said well pretty soon we will have 0 miles coz we will have no customers. Then it will work real good wont it.

I said where do I start again after pick ups when I had those 20 in my board, that I didnt get done. He says well you were 20 behind, you need to pick up the pace. LOL. If I had those done, I would be at 18 sporh, and Dude that dont happen, ever, with anyone on my route. I said thats funny. He said funny how. I said well now that I run less miles, of course I can do more per hour, and am, but ya all never got it when I run more miles, that I would do less per hour, Its math......

So just for :censored2:z and giggles, we went to the pc screen to review my day......I said this system is so awesome, I will bet it figures in weather, so that when we have snow up to our earballs, we will have so many less stops. Aw No it dont do that.

With all this technology, how clicks make an eternity of difference, idling time is measured, seat belt time, everything is a science, but no one built a weather element into this, stunning. Simply stunning.

Oh yea, I forgot, all the big shots were there today, and I was told, "we are all done talking about this, and the big guys are here, and bitching about YOU" and we are not going to talk about this any more. You need to get your miles down. So I did for a day. It was just luck, all the stars were aligned, all lights were green, there was always a place to turn around, no streets were blocked. It was pouring all day, no one was out. Tomorrow is the 1st of the month, we will see how that goes.

Last edited:

30yearstolife

My personal records...

46 actual miles over ORION projected (while following ORION trace 95%)
60 actual miles under ORION projected (I did not follow ORION that day since I had to be done for my kid's game)

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Well I cut their miles by 3, I was 91% in trace, so they called it a 7.42 day, and I was 1.79 late.
I was told this morning that my customers would have to learn to live with their delivery times, its all about miles, and I know several have called. I said well pretty soon we will have 0 miles coz we will have no customers. Then it will work real good wont it.

I said where do I start again after pick ups when I had those 20 in my board, that I didnt get done. He says well you were 20 behind, you need to pick up the pace. LOL. If I had those done, I would be at 18 sporh, and Dude that dont happen, ever, with anyone on my route. I said thats funny. He said funny how. I said well now that I run less miles, of course I can do more per hour, and am, but ya all never got it when I run more miles, that I would do less per hour, Its math......

So just for :censored2:z and giggles, we went to the pc screen to review my day......I said this system is so awesome, I will bet it figures in weather, so that when we have snow up to our earballs, we will have so many less stops. Aw No it dont do that.

With all this technology, how clicks make an eternity of difference, idling time is measured, seat belt time, everything is a science, but no one built a weather element into this, stunning. Simply stunning.

Oh yea, I forgot, all the big shots were there today, and I was told, "we are all done talking about this, and the big guys are here, and bitching about YOU" and we are not going to talk about this any more. You need to get your miles down. So I did for a day. It was just luck, all the stars were aligned, all lights were green, there was always a place to turn around, no streets were blocked. It was pouring all day, no one was out. Tomorrow is the 1st of the month, we will see how that goes.
I got 4 words for ya, FILE GRIEVANCE FOR HARASSMENT. Over their make believe numbers of course.

redrooster

WOOF WOOF

You are way too eager to please these people.

30yearstolife

Over a year now on ORION.
They have given up, and now program (force) ORION to follow Regular Delivery Order almost stop for stop on my route. No more digging for stops.
Why did they give up?.......Because I followed ORION order, and let it fail, for months.

-ORION schedules too many stops before 10:30, I would follow it strictly until I had to break off for NDA...adding miles.
-ORION tries to put you in the area of your pickups at pickup time...But it can't anticipate my day that well, So break off at pickup time.
-ORION implementers don't like to input business that close early or are in resi areas, so you have to break off to avoid missed.
-ORION puts you on businesses between Noon and 1PM, so break off later and go back.

In short... Follow ORION order, let it fail over and over again. Don't back into driveways to turn on a dime. Don't race around to get 2 more stops off by 10:30. Eventually they will tweak your ORION order so you can stay above 85% on trace without breaking off, by forcing ORION to mirror your old Regular Delivery Order and not scheduling too many stops before 10:30 A.M.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...Oh yea, I forgot, all the big shots were there today, and I was told, "we are all done talking about this, and the big guys are here, and bitching about YOU" and we are not going to talk about this any more. You need to get your miles down. So I did for a day. It was just luck, all the stars were aligned, all lights were green, there was always a place to turn around, no streets were blocked. It was pouring all day, no one was out. Tomorrow is the 1st of the month, we will see how that goes.

Don't worry. In the very near future, all those "big shots" will move on and find a new center to screw everything up at. ORION compliance will no longer be the flavor of the week and you will be able to revert back to doing the job properly and taking care of the customers the way you always have. We went through all the same crap you are going through last summer but it didnt take long before the buzz from the ORION kool-aid wore off and my management team was able to regain its senses and start living in the real world once again. Our center doesn't even bother printing out compliance reports anymore, and it has been several months since my lack of compliance or my excess miles have even been mentioned to me. Just hang in there and try not to get discouraged.

giggity

Lots of empty threats and hot air, but no actual discipline in my building. The bottom line is that they cant discipline us for failing to follow conflicting instructions.
I have had the WORST orion compliance in our center [usually around 65%] since it was implemented in august. but i'm am usually beating the miles [sometimes badly] and once the orion idiots left, no one has said a word. we've heard whispers and vague threats during the pcm's but no discipline yet ...

30yearstolife

The vague threats are idiotic and happen in my center also. In over 30 years I have never seen a driver legitimately accused of padding miles. They have "investigated" many though. It makes them loose any respect the drivers may have had for their authority. It should NEVER even be implied or intimated that a driver is being dishonest in this way, unless there is credible PROOF, not just fantasy miles projections that don't come true.

kingOFchester

Spoke with my BA about Orion.

He has a stack of grievances for harassment tied to Orion. Not for low trace numbers but rather for following Orion at 95%-100%.
You couldn't write this stuff.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Orion sounds like its the perfect management tool. Don't follow it and you're screwed. Follow it to the letter and you're screwed. Fits in perfectly with the philosophy that the driver is always wrong.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Over a year now on ORION.
They have given up, and now program (force) ORION to follow Regular Delivery Order almost stop for stop on my route. No more digging for stops.
Why did they give up?.......Because I followed ORION order, and let it fail, for months.

-ORION schedules too many stops before 10:30, I would follow it strictly until I had to break off for NDA...adding miles.
-ORION tries to put you in the area of your pickups at pickup time...But it can't anticipate my day that well, So break off at pickup time.
-ORION implementers don't like to input business that close early or are in resi areas, so you have to break off to avoid missed.
-ORION puts you on businesses between Noon and 1PM, so break off later and go back.

In short... Follow ORION order, let it fail over and over again. Don't back into driveways to turn on a dime. Don't race around to get 2 more stops off by 10:30. Eventually they will tweak your ORION order so you can stay above 85% on trace without breaking off, by forcing ORION to mirror your old Regular Delivery Order and not scheduling too many stops before 10:30 A.M.

Good points !

* Your before 10:30 order gets screwed up big time if you leave the building late and have to waste time finding packages in a crap load

* Miles are so huge per car, that misloads are just sheeted missed now. No meets. No delivering off your area. The amount of service failures I've seen this past month are staggering, ALL FOR ADDING A FEW EXTRA MILES

* I find myself in some bad positions when I find a package of mine loaded in the wrong place. Do I drive all the way back there, Do I sheet it as missed to keep my miles down, or Do something unethical.

* You have all this technology in Orion and it just assumes that all your On-Call airs will be picked up on-route. Outside of an alert at 10am, THAT JUST NEVER HAPPENS

* That someone actually convinced Atlanta that stops, miles, and routes in are more important than service is just atrocious

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
First stop after air....an envelope on the 4000 shelf..good job Orion!
Photo3907.jpg

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Mine is always on the 8000, same thing.....Answer....get a tote box, carry them to the front.............Well Ok that makes so much sense.......what if there is no room, put it in the cab? No pkgs in cab,,,,,,,:bsbullf::fightings::hamwheelsmilf:
So unload the back half of the truck to get to the smalls on the 8000 shelf...lol. Sure, you guys have nothing better to do...