ORION + Hybrid Driver = Autonomous Vehicles

F

Frankie's Friend

Do you anticipate self dispatching technology? No need for human dispatch? Why not just make the whole company robots
Already have self automated dispatching with Orion. The only dispatch catch is the hand written shipping books and ASDs and SDG...for address corrections.

F

Frankie's Friend

I have no idea how far this will go. I assume that there will need to be human dispatch, at the very least. Extremely fascinating to think about. As long as there are human customers, there will need to be humans somehow responsible for the success/failure of the technology.
Less and less.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Ups implimenred cir aka commercial inside release to get rid of the whole customer interaction. Nobody cares any more. People just want their 17mm torx Bit or dog food.
Try telling that to the desperate housewives who call and complain when we back into their driveways. Or when we mark their savers as resi and they get the pkg later than they were promised. Who's gonna listen to them and retain their business? Alpha 5 from Power Rangers?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They got rid of it to save time.
Nope,

.... instead it's designed to desensitize the consignee to the notion that somebody need to be present at the (exact) time of delivery

....but while precedence is set....the Company will use the driver as an insurance policy (if you don't cya).

....so Yes

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Yeah all that....plus it saves time. It's beneficial for the company to make stops as quick as possible. Dead time waiting for signatures=less money. Depending on how valuable you believe customer service/interaction to be (not very, I take it).

Faceplanted

Nope,

.... instead it's designed to desensitize the consignee to the notion that somebody need to be present at the (exact) time of delivery

....but while precedence is set....the Company will use the driver as an insurance policy (if you don't cya).

....so Yes
Mah nigaa

Somebody gets it.

Bubblehead, you one of the few people on here with a brain. You put me onto the the whole 50% vote thing and many other ideas. Much respect brother.

F

Frankie's Friend

Mah nigaa

Somebody gets it.

Bubblehead, you one of the few people on here with a brain. You put me onto the the whole 50% vote thing and many other ideas. Much respect brother.
You're the judge of who has a brain by self proclamation?
We bow down to your IQ qualificaton.
Yeah all that....plus it saves time. It's beneficial for the company to make stops as quick as possible. Dead time waiting for signatures=less money. Depending on how valuable you believe customer service/interaction to be (not very, I take it).
At the pcm they said it was for 1 reason they were doing this (also setting themselves up for the possibility of loss, even tho they can "blame" the driver, and there are security cameras almost everywhere) and the reason was saving 15 seconds...on average...at each commercial stop.
The same thing applies to DR at residential stops.

I bet there's tons more claims with residential loss (denial of receipt) than commercial will ever be.

Faceplanted

You're the judge of who has a brain by self proclamation?
We bow down to your IQ qualificaton.

At the pcm they said it was for 1 reason they were doing this (also setting themselves up for the possibility of loss, even tho they can "blame" the driver, and there are security cameras almost everywhere) and the reason was saving 15 seconds...on average...at each commercial stop.
The same thing applies to DR at residential stops.

I bet there's tons more claims with residential loss (denial of receipt) than commercial will ever be.
I have triple digit iq. My dude. Verified through online iq tests. Get at me.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Honestly what are you talking about? Waymo, Uber and other companies are testing on urban areas to gain data

Trucking and logastical companies are going for the easier solution. That highway feeder route from la to San Francisco.

I honestly am not seeing your guys argument. If ups can have 1k Tesla trucks running fully semi-autonomous routes they can very easially make anothe pay scale of feeder drivers. It’s coming. Give it another 20 or so years and package cars will be able to run a whole route with simply a jumper running the packages to the door, at a lesser pay rate.

Please explain what I’m saying that you don’t agree with.
Wouldn't the "baby sitter" still need a cdl. Wouldn't the "baby sitter" still be putting in long hours. Wouldn't the "baby sitter" still have to do all of the technical driving. Wouldn't current and future "baby sitters" have to vote on their own pay reduction because the truck can drive itself down the freeway.

Not gonna happen. Until the human is fully replaceable AND the regulations allow there to be no human behind the wheel. this tech is pointless.

The government is a business. Their job is to collect tax money. The loss of that many trucking and trucking related jobs. Not to mention economic turmoil from millions being jobless and homes getting foreclosed on. Doesnt sound very business savvy.

Also if this tech is about public safety. Then the government needs to leave those regulations in place. Kinda like pilots.

This tech is going to be slowly implemented over the course of decades.

Faceplanted

Wouldn't the "baby sitter" still need a cdl. Wouldn't the "baby sitter" still be putting in long hours. Wouldn't the "baby sitter" still have to do all of the technical driving. Wouldn't current and future "baby sitters" have to vote on their own pay reduction because the truck can drive itself down the freeway.

Not gonna happen. Until the human is fully replaceable AND the regulations allow there to be no human behind the wheel. this tech is pointless.

The government is a business. Their job is to collect tax money. The loss of that many trucking and trucking related jobs. Not to mention economic turmoil from millions being jobless and homes getting foreclosed on. Doesnt sound very business savvy.

Also if this tech is about public safety. Then the government needs to leave those regulations in place. Kinda like pilots.

This tech is going to be slowly implemented over the course of decades.
Wouldn’t the 22.4 still need a drivers license? Wouldn’t the 22.4 driver still work long hours? Yet they get paid less. Think about that for a second.

Ups will use any excuse to make a lower paying new classifacafion.

Automation is going to replace jobs and has been for the past 20 years. Nothing we can do about it. Your deluded if you think the government cares about jobs for us. If they did they would have never made nafta or any of these trade deals.