Orion-My management team against theirs. Guess who's in the middle?

upsmaninmi

That's how I feel. Orion team that's here tells me to meet the miles. I say impossible. My management team tells me to meet the 85% trace and they can "defend" me against the Orion team. I say impossible because it's so stupid. Stress levels are through the roof, like they weren't bad enough already. This sucks.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Inform both groups of management that you are going to do the job safely and provide good service to customers who pay their wages, and that if they continue giving you conflicting instructions you will be filing an ART 37 over-supervision grievance against ALL of them. Their inability to cooperate is not your problem.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Just do your best.

ORION came in and screwed up my route and didn't fix it correctly, now they are gone and I run the route the way I did before.
It is/was a colossal waste of money and time and EVERY route that is on it runs over the miles it was going to save. EVERY
yt.gif

soberups

If you absolutely have to pick a side, then do what your supervisor says and tell the ORION guy to go pound sand. You have a route to run and customers to service, whereas the ORION guy could care less if the route fails as long as he can show less miles on some report. He will be gone in a few weeks anyway so treat him as a temporary annoyance and carry on with your job as best you can.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If you absolutely have to pick a side, then do what your supervisor says and tell the ORION guy to go pound sand. You have a route to run and customers to service, whereas the ORION guy could care less if the route fails as long as he can show less miles on some report. He will be gone in a few weeks anyway so treat him as a temporary annoyance and carry on with your job as best you can.
Do you ever feel like its groundhog day, LOL

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That's how I feel. Orion team that's here tells me to meet the miles. I say impossible. My management team tells me to meet the 85% trace and they can "defend" me against the Orion team. I say impossible because it's so stupid. Stress levels are through the roof, like they weren't bad enough already. This sucks.

Sent using BrownCafe App
There are numerous threads on this subject. You can find good advice in this and others. Just search on Orion in titles, upper right hand corner http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/thursday-orion-delusions.357057/

soberups

Bear in mind that by giving you contradictory and conflicting instructions, the company is negating any disciplinary case it might try to make against you for failing to follow them. Since they are going to bitch and whine and tell you that you are wrong regardless of what you do, there is no point in even trying to cooperate with them. Just do the route as best you can and when they complain about numbers on some report just nod your head and say..."I'll work on that."

undies

One of the Orion people in my center actually told me this, "It really is unnecessary, but I really need the job! Please follow it."

I was dumbfounded that they would actually admit this to a driver. Since then, I refuse to take Orion seriously.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I strive to run as close to 100% in traceas I can. I send messages to the center informing them if I need to break trace in order to not have missed pieces. I ride up and down the streets several times, but I get paid by the hour and I dont give a rats arse if it "makes sense" or not. I'm paid to work safely,by the methods and if they decree a 90% Trace Compliance who am I to question such geniuses? 'service" dosent matter any longer,rather meeting a percentile on a Metric is how success is achieved now

I have the least stress I have ever had in my life doing the job this way,and laugh every morning at the Operation Supes pulling their hair out and frustrated to the point of tears . As Bojangles said in an Earlier Post: I like to get paid to ride around

ViewAskew

Orion has been a mixed bag for me. My area has had it for going on two years now. Our dispatch team and the Orion team actually listened to most (I stress most) of the bid drivers and cover drivers with good area knowledge when routing the loops. I've covered a couple of routes blind that Orion actually made/makes sense on. I feel that because my dispatch team listens to us it has been somewhat of a success, but only because they are willing to do the work and make the changes we (as drivers) need them to. I can only imagine how bad some of the half hearted efforts have screwed up some centers...

Sent using BrownCafe App

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
One day last week, I looked at the report they post including Orion % and +/- miles. I was at 89.7, and 6 miles under. Next day got a Diad message.
"You need to be at 90% or better. " Ridiculous.
I still keep it in RDO.

slantnosechevy

Orion has been a mixed bag for me. My area has had it for going on two years now. Our dispatch team and the Orion team actually listened to most (I stress most) of the bid drivers and cover drivers with good area knowledge when routing the loops. I've covered a couple of routes blind that Orion actually made/makes sense on. I feel that because my dispatch team listens to us it has been somewhat of a success, but only because they are willing to do the work and make the changes we (as drivers) need them to. I can only imagine how bad some of the half hearted efforts have screwed up some centers...

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mixed bag exactly.... The rural routes came out pretty good. It's some of the in town routes that are screwed. If you had a bad plan or bad standards...or both, Orian magnifies it. If management took the time to set the routes up properly when Pass/Edd was implemented you come out pretty good.
Orian wasn't supposed to be implemented until 2016 so as usual UPS has the cart before the horse. Don't waste time trying to out-think the system because upgrades will be coming often in the next couple years.
It's fun watching the short-timer Orian teams try to force the short-timer Center teams into running things their way and vice versa. Production vs. Orian. Production vs. Safety. Production vs. Service.
Like 728ups said," I have the least stress I've ever had in my life......" A person could do this job until he's 65 if they had to. Run it as close to 100% and you'll never hear a word no matter if you're over allowed or over on miles.

brostalss

What's ORION? The ORION Team came and went. I don't use it and haven't change a thing how I do my route.

Total waste of the money this system is.

710 steward

Mixed bag exactly.... The rural routes came out pretty good. It's some of the in town routes that are screwed. If you had a bad plan or bad standards...or both, Orian magnifies it. If management took the time to set the routes up properly when Pass/Edd was implemented you come out pretty good.
Orian wasn't supposed to be implemented until 2016 so as usual UPS has the cart before the horse. Don't waste time trying to out-think the system because upgrades will be coming often in the next couple years.
It's fun watching the short-timer Orian teams try to force the short-timer Center teams into running things their way and vice versa. Production vs. Orian. Production vs. Safety. Production vs. Service.
Like 728ups said," I have the least stress I've ever had in my life......" A person could do this job until he's 65 if they had to. Run it as close to 100% and you'll never hear a word no matter if you're over allowed or over on miles.

Slant

You have no idea what you are talking about. He said less stress and that's it. I don't know one person who drive a package car until they were 60 let alone 65. The reason some people can't ever use Orion is because the amount of bulk they have daily never goes away. It's pretty difficult to get that package out of the 7000 section if the back of your truck is packed side to side and top to bottom.

As far as over allowed, people get questioned every day. Even the 100% trace Orion guys. You have no idea what no pakage car drivers go through working in the feeder department. I'm sure most people can work til they are 65 if they aren't delivering 140 stops a day plus pickups. Just concentrate on Pat's defense fund good buddy.