ORION & peak...

S

selfcancelsignal

I recall last year seeing posts about drivers being instructed to turn off ODO & run RDO during peak. Must've went out the window now that the whole country is on ORION? There is no way I'm gonna run ODO in a bricked out PC! Why would anyone run ODO out of a rental? Is this part of why some centers & hubs are behind?

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the book that shows our center's ODO miles & trace last night when I got in, & saw it is still being updated daily during peak. LMAO. WTF? At least management isn't talking to me about it yet, until the week after peak when the flavor(s) of the month will once again rear its ugly head. [emoji107][emoji34]

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't know of any centers running Orion during peak. It's a waste this time of year.

Although our package cars don't look drastically different the rest of the year.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is our first Peak on ORION and my Center Manager still wants us to run it! I have to break off twice to get my Helper and twice again to take care of my Golf Cart Helper so saving miles is totally out the window since that allowance isn't figured in. Besides the obvious inability to find packages in a blown out package car.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The genius that was in charge of the Orion Team when it was implemented has been attached to our center for peak and gets really pissed off when we show him our bricked out cars and ask how we are expected to make compliance. It's always good for a laugh.
We dont bother with it

oldngray

nowhere special
The genius that was in charge of the Orion Team when it was implemented has been attached to our center for peak and gets really :censored2: off when we show him our bricked out cars and ask how we are expected to make compliance. It's always good for a laugh.
We dont bother with it

Which just demonstrates the designers never looked at real world situations. Hey! It looked great on the computer screen!

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
Which just demonstrates the designers never looked at real world situations. Hey! It looked great on the computer screen!
That's how UPS makes all of their decisions,if it looks good on a computer screen and Wall Street will love us then we'll do it. The Orion fiasco looked great on paper,save miles,save money....Wall Street loves it.

If UPS really wanted to implement something,seek input from drivers.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My golf cart route is set up on Orion too, unfortunately, our dispatcher thinks it starts from where I enter that subdivision instead of the clubhouse in the middle of everything.

clean hairy

Just imagine if UPS bought out Santa Claus and made him an employee having to run Orion!
The media doing their Santa tracking updates would be really baffled how much he has changed his delivery route!

clean hairy

You suppose to save time, they would have him utilize access points to save on his stop count?
Imagine some 8 yr kid having to go into a Liquor store to pick up their present from Santa!
Good thing he does not have Sig Req, imagine seeing a delivery notice on the door "Sorry we missed you, will try again Dec 24th 2016!"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You suppose to save time, they would have him utilize access points to save on his stop count?
Imagine some 8 yr kid having to go into a Liquor store to pick up their present from Santa!
Good thing he does not have Sig Req, imagine seeing a delivery notice on the door "Sorry we missed you, will try again Dec 24th 2016!"

It would actually be Dec. 23rd-----2016 is a leap year and Christmas is on a Sunday.

Have you seen the calendar yet? The 26th, which is a Monday, is a regular workday, which is contrary to company policy of giving us the following day off if a holiday falls on a Sunday.

barnyard

KTM rider
We are still using it. My supe said there are sliders they can adjust that forces Orion to run closer to EDD trace. I generally start my day in section 1 and work my way through the sections kind of close to in order. Once I am past section 4, it does not matter, as I have everything lip loaded and the floor stops are in HIN order.

I have ditched it 2 days so far and that was because I could not reach any stops while I was doing air. As soon as I was done with sections 1 and 2, I turned it on again.

So far, it is working out well. There is one neighborhood that I ALWAY run in reverse order, but the miles are the same because I am doing it exactly as orion says, but in reverse.

I have no idea where I am at compliance or mileage wise, as those numbers are not being posted.

I pick up my helper on the way to my 1st stop and drop her off on my way to my last neighborhood, might add 200 yards onto my trace and very little onto my time for the day.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I turn orion off before I leave the building. Its impossible to be even a little efficient when your first stop is on the 6,7,or 8000 shelf. Not only can you not get the packages, but even if you can you have to dig through the entire shelf to find it IF its even on your car because the peak hires get 20+ misloads a day!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1449949638.422508.jpg

SCV good to go sir.

Tried using it the first week, let's just say (very mildly I might add) that ended horribly, management was upset with me, and explicitly told me not to run Orion during peak.

I love this :censored2:ing place.