ORION-Will It Effect Over/Under??

Box Ox

if your dispatcher is good your ORION will be good

if your dispatcher is bad, your ORION will be bad

it only puts out what they put into it

How good can a good dispatcher be if IE is shoving route cuts down his or her throat? Can a good dispatcher produce a good ORION solution if you guys are handing them a big fat turd to work with in the first place?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
How good can a good dispatcher be if IE is shoving route cuts down his or her throat? Can a good dispatcher produce a good ORION solution if you guys are handing them a big fat turd to work with in the first place?
you're confusing quantity with quality here

whether we over dispatch him or not has nothing to do with the quality of the plans he puts out

I know what you're trying to say here and I agree with your idea but strictly speaking what you said isn't accurate

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Had my sup ask me today to follow ORION 100% to lower my over allowed....I dont think this will help...will it??

Depending on how the route was set up and what they add or cut to the car, you will start by having late air(except non commit areas), run stupid stops in between your business, piss off customers because they get their stuff late, miss business, miss pickups, get done way later than usual and usually with more miles. I say do it. I was told to do it that way when it first came in one time. I followed it to the T. I communicated with the center the whole day to cover my butt. I used my phone to take pics of messages on the DIAD. I made a lot of money that day and only did 3/4 of the route. The next day my center manager asked me to go back and do it my way and please try to do my first stop as defined in the board.

Dhydratd

I can see where Orion could work if the time allowances were accurate. Trouble is, the time allowances on most routes are not even remotely accurate! If you complain enough then they do a "virtual time study" using Google Maps or equivalent. From these maps, they can supposedly tell how many steps it is from the truck to the front door. However, I'm pretty sure they just draw a straight line through the customer's yard which I have been taught is not a safe path. And they don't give any time allowance for climbing the stairs to the 3rd or 4th floor of an apartment building. And, from what I've gathered from experience, Orion doesn't figure in traffic or stop lights at all. Every day it expects me to have made about 10 more stops before I get to my last air stop, so by 10:30am (according to Orion) I'm already about 30 minutes behind.

JackStraw

Is it very difficult for him/her to even out the loads? I frequently get 80 pieces in my 6000 and 20 in my 7000. Makes it very hard to find a pkg hin # 6520 at 945 am.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Is it very difficult for him/her to even out the loads? I frequently get 80 pieces in my 6000 and 20 in my 7000. Makes it very hard to find a pkg hin # 6520 at 945 am.
that's like dispatcher 101 not being done, you're supposed to balance the load between shelves before the preload even starts

failing that, the preloader should be snaking the load between shelves and leaving notes on the load diagram for you so you aren't surprised by it

there's really no excuse for the dispatcher bit, though i've only seen a few preloads with loaders good enough to do the second

35years

Gravy route

You do realize the center manager can mess with pojected speed limits, projected start times etc etc that do not reflect reality.

I have beaten ORION by 60 miles by not following it. I have also followed ORION 98% and been 60 miles over the ORION projection. I E has no idea all the ways a center team manipulates the numbers.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have found that the closer to 100% I am, the more over-allowed I will be. It is unavoidable. Think about what is fast: delivering sections 1-4 and then setting up 4-8 and running them in a smarter order or delivering a couple form section 8, couple from section 7, all of section 6, then section 2.

Plus, the fewer miles you have the less your allowance.

The only time I scratch anymore is when Orion is running section 1-8 in order with very, very little jumping around.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
You do realize the center manager can mess with pojected speed limits, projected start times etc etc that do not reflect reality.

I have beaten ORION by 60 miles by not following it. I have also followed ORION 98% and been 60 miles over the ORION projection. I E has no idea all the ways a center team manipulates the numbers.
i've talked about that before but yeah you are proving my point

if they put in whatever stats they want, you get :censored2:ty solutions

gman042

Been around the block a few times

Let me understand this....
You are saying that the dispatcher can and should be able to put together a route that when optimized would be considered a "good" orion solution?

What if the DOL is crap. The basis from which all routes are constructed from. The dispatcher did not write that. That is not on the dispatcher. Pretty sure that the IE person that looped our center was a kindergartner. There is nothing our dispatcher can do with what he was provided by IE.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Let me understand this....
You are saying that the dispatcher can and should be able to put together a route that when optimized would be considered a "good" orion solution?

What if the DOL is crap. The basis from which all routes are constructed from. The dispatcher did not write that. That is not on the dispatcher. Pretty sure that the IE person that looped our center was a kindergartner. There is nothing our dispatcher can do with what he was provided by IE.
you know the dispatcher can change the DOL to whatever he wants right?
:censored2: any FT sup in your building has the access to do it