ORION-Will It Effect Over/Under??

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I beat Orion every day on miles and time but somehow it still says I'm hours over...the system is setup for failure.
Mine is the same way. I've had some fun with that when the on road goes crying about overallowed. "I beat your time, I beat your miles, ran 100% trace and your bogus time allowances say I'm late. When you are on the truck with me, I'm 120 over. Stop talking."

upsgrunt

ok captain obvious but that doesn't change that it can be fixed and that if it's not it's a reflection of your dispatchers work ethic

Why should they HAVE to fix it?
Why wasn't it done right in the first place?
Seems IE comes in, implements crap as fast as they can, and leaves- never to be heard from again.
Why should the rest of the company have to fix their crap?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Seems IE comes in, implements crap as fast as they can, and leaves- never to be heard from again.
i get what you're saying, but life is an endless cycle of fixing or upgrading things that others have done

that's the job and the answer IS NOT to sit there like a baby and say "well this is broken but i'm not fixing it because i didn't break it first"

gman042

Been around the block a few times
ok captain obvious but that doesn't change that it can be fixed and that if it's not it's a reflection of your dispatchers work ethic

Okay...
You know what DPS said to me when I asked him to fix all that was wrong with my route?
He said it was above his pay grade.
You know what else? He is right.
It should have been done right the first time. That is what I.E. is paid to do. Just don't slap it all together for the sake of time.
Can I say it again? Do it right the first time and do it well.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Okay...
You know what DPS said to me when I asked him to fix all that was wrong with my route?
He said it was above his pay grade.
You know what else? He is right.
It should have been done right the first time. That is what I.E. is paid to do. Just don't slap it all together for the sake of time.
Can I say it again? Do it right the first time and do it well.
so if your toilet breaks because your turds are too big, are you going to sit there and let it overflow because "it should have been designed right in the first place"
that's incredibly stupid logic

besides it's literally in his job description to make corrections to it as needed or warranted

it's not acceptable to refuse to correct a known and easily fixed issue

your PDS is useless

gman042

so if your toilet breaks because your turds are too big, are you going to sit there and let it overflow because "it should have been designed right in the first place"
that's incredibly stupid logic

besides it's literally in his job description to make corrections to it as needed or warranted

it's not acceptable to refuse to correct a known and easily fixed issue

your PDS is useless

Faulty logic...
The only correlation that I can find between your example of a crapper and Orion is Orion should be flushed in the crapper.

Over 70

I was training on a route with the on car and we pretty much found every place like we should, I drive like a bat out of hell, fast walker, find the pkg almost immediately as it's a rural route with low piece count and we're .86 over as they go over the "numbers" with me. Idiots.

Ran it by myself the next day and was .20 over. Time got better without the dead weight. I'm a methods guy too, but I do go hard safely.

DOK

you're confusing quantity with quality here

whether we over dispatch him or not has nothing to do with the quality of the plans he puts out

I know what you're trying to say here and I agree with your idea but strictly speaking what you said isn't accurate
When routes are cut and extra work is added in your truck to say the 8000 section, Orion has a difficult time recognizing when you are closest to those stops during the day. It wants you to do those stops at the end of the day even though you were closer to them earlier in the day. If the dispatcher had the time he would place those stops in your car with the stops you already have that are close to the split you got, that's all also dependent on the skill of your dispatcher.

DOK

Should have set up correct in the beginning
We had them set up perfect. Ever dispatcher that comes in changes things to his liking, screwing up what we spent years fine tuning. Also, some like to change your lunch time to zero and or change your furdo or air cushion in a day to day basis in order to reduce the total miles for the center. Makes me wonder what the original vOrion rides were for, if the dispatcher is going to go in and change it day to day?

deliverthatbox

I work in a small extended center (11 routes minimum-up to 21 routes during peak)...we just had ORION and a preload implemented on the same day a couple months ago. All preloaders brand new off the street all at one time. The ORION "team" consisted of one cocky computer guy with his head up his... Welcome to crazy town. As far as I can tell the drivers who don't follow trace are bonusing. Those of us following it are an hour or hour and a half over. When the on car says something about being over...my reply is y'all evidently didn't like how I was running my route before so I'm just gonna keep doing it YOUR way. I see a lock in ride in my future.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
i get what you're saying, but life is an endless cycle of fixing or upgrading things that others have done

that's the job and the answer IS NOT to sit there like a baby and say "well this is broken but i'm not fixing it because i didn't break it first"
All your responses remind me of when Apple released a phone with terrible reception, then told people it's because they're actually holding the phone wrong.

Is blaming other people part of IE training?

Box Ox

Orion is a joke. I hate a thief. Not worth the bullet that should be put in their head!

e31.jpg

gman042

Hey...this Orion thing was the ace on the hole for UPS for this next contract.
They're gonna show the union they can plug any old Joe in the seat and get the job done.
We all know differently

Above10200

Orion is a joke in my center if you follow it you will miss business and be at least an hour over running normal, and alot of miles extra

Last edited: