OT Change in Administering

Karma...

The OT procedure is to start at the top of the senioriy list each day so the high seniority people have first choice. I recall that in the past and to enable everyone to have a chance the OT would start on a monday and once enough people got it the next day the list started where the previous days ended....That way lower seniority people got a chance at OT.....This was a teamster idea and worked quite well and highlighted the concept of the brotherhood....Somehow this view changed to .hooray for me and not you....It would be great to see some fair thinking and revert back to the roots.

OrionIsDaddy

Seniority is the fairest way. Go by seniority so there is 'no' chance at favoritism.

Seniority gives you the right to extra work on your regularly scheduled workdays.

You'll be at the top someday

542thruNthru

The OT procedure is to start at the top of the senioriy list each day so the high seniority people have first choice. I recall that in the past and to enable everyone to have a chance the OT would start on a monday and once enough people got it the next day the list started where the previous days ended....That way lower seniority people got a chance at OT.....This was a teamster idea and worked quite well and highlighted the concept of the brotherhood....Somehow this view changed to .hooray for me and not you....It would be great to see some fair thinking and revert back to the roots.
Then your local was doing it wrong.

Seniority rules. End of story.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
No worries shorty stick around you’ll have some seniority someday

Integrity

Binge Poster
Either way is seniority. My Father’s Trade Union used the rotational list method. All overtime went through the list by Seniority when the list was completed it went back to the top. This clearly is offering OT In Seniority order.

My experience in UPS is that the Senior guy gets offered all the overtime each day and then whatever he doesn’t want it then goes to the next senior member, and so on if needed.

If there is overtime available the next day the Senior guy is again offered it and whatever he doesn’t want it again goes to the next Senior guy and so on.

I enjoy the benefits of the second method being most Senior man for quite some time however IMO the first method is a more true respecter of seniority rights.

Oh well.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The company tried offering RTO’s on a rotating seniority method. I stopped it day 1, article 3 section 11 in our NorCal supplement states all that is necessary in regards to seniority. “The company recognizes that the principles of seniority will be given prime consideration in the everyday operation of the business”.

Peoples hurt feelings is just a consequence but by no means is a valid reason to operate outside the contract.

542thruNthru

The company tried offering RTO’s on a rotating seniority method. I stopped it day 1, article 3 section 11 in our NorCal supplement states all that is necessary in regards to seniority. “The company recognizes that the principles of seniority will be given prime consideration in the everyday operation of the business”.

Peoples hurt feelings is just a consequence but by no means is a valid reason to operate outside the contract.
Same language here. I filed the same thing last year. They were trying to send the people that don't know routes home.

Not on my watch!! ;)

Integrity

Binge Poster

My problem with this interpretation is that it appears to give me, the most senior guy in my area, all the rights each day. Don’t get me wrong it gives me a great advantage over my entire work group, even those with only a little less time than me.

It is my opinion that each member has seniority rights in accordance with time and offering OT using a rotational method honors everyone’s precious seniority not just the top guys.

Oh well.

My problem with this interpretation is that it appears to give me, the most senior guy in my area, all the rights each day. Don’t get me wrong it gives me a great advantage over my entire work group, even those with only a little less time than me.

It is my opinion that each member has seniority rights in accordance with time and offering OT using a rotational method honors everyone’s precious seniority not just the top guys.

Oh well.
That's why it's called seniority, we all had to go through it. Just like picking vacations. Everyone has to put their time in.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!

Oh well.
It’s not so much what we may or may not think or believe individually, but what the contract states.

I don’t agree with everything in the contract but I still argue for its acknowledgement and Implementation everyday.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work. Lol.

OT is a different issue than "extra work". Extra work is offered on seniority basis. OT is assigned on an @Operational needs basis, but if a higher seniority person who wants OT and is not getting as much as a lower seniority person, I think they have a basis to grieve being passed up for OT.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It’s not so much what we may or may not think or believe individually, but what the contract states.

I don’t agree with everything in the contract but I still argue for its acknowledgement and Implementation everyday.
True so true. I benefit greatly from it and I will grieve it if my seniority is violated even if it were my decision I would handle seniority differently.

It is not up to me so I certainly live with it,

Inthegame

Same language here. I filed the same thing last year. They were trying to send the people that don't know routes home.

Not on my watch!! ;)
I had a new division manager with a brainstorm.

Frustrated by Feeder drivers not having available hours for weekend work, he thought up a brilliant scheme of taking away scheduled pickups from bid feeder work, then sending a few dozen drivers home while giving the work to unassigned drivers.

Apparently he didn't read our rider.

After telling him his plan had flaws, I then spoke to every other division manager in the building trying to stop the evil madness.

Anyway after filing about 20 grievances the next day, the new guy came to his senses, and followed the contract.

The Labor Manager paid every lost hour grievance without a word of protest., all the while shaking his head.