Over 70 trouble

H

hot one

They hand out what at PCMs?!? You should print out the below and also hand out...

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-teamsters-national-master-agreement.335360/

ARTICLE 44. OVER 70 POUND SERVICE PACKAGE HANDLING
The parties agree that the health and safety of the employees are of the utmost importance. The Employer agrees that UPS management will not insist that any unsafe action be undertaken and the Union agrees to encourage its members to cooperate in effectuating the handling, pick-up and delivery of parcels without exposing themselves to safety hazards.

Section 1. On Area Package Handling

No employee shall be required to handle any over 70 pound packages alone if it is the employee's good faith belief that such handling would be a safety hazard to herself or himself. In such cases, the Employer shall provide whichever of the following is requested in good faith by the employee in handling over 70 pound packages:

1. Another bargaining unit employee for assistance, or

2. Appropriate lifting/handling devices, or

3. Another bargaining unit employee and an appropriate lifting/handling device for handling, pick-up or delivery circumstances that require both bargaining unit help and an appropriate lifting/handling device.

In all such instances involving package car drivers, where assistance from another bargaining unit employee has been requested in good faith, both employees will be full-time employees of the bargaining unit except that air drivers or helpers, where permitted by the applicable Supplement, may be used to assist the full-time driver in the delivery and/or pickup of such overweight packages. On Saturdays, air drivers may be assisted by another air driver in the delivery and/or pickup of overweight packages. A helper may be used to assist a driver in the handling of overweight packages when a helper is already on the package car in accordance with the terms of the Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

No employee will be required to solicit or accept customer assistance if it is the employee's good faith belief that the customer is not qualified to help or that such assistance would be a safety hazard to themselves or the customer.

All new and existing employees who handle packages shall be provided with periodic training in the recognition and proper handling of over 70 pound packages.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
You could always, kick said over 70 to the rear door, wind out reverse across the customers lawn and slam on brakes just short of the front porch. No assistance needed!

hoser

Industrial Slob
We heard, through the building grapevine, that a driver in a nearby center is being sued by a customer. The customer was asked by the driver, per current instructions from mgm't, to help with an over 70 package. Surprise!, the customer hurt himself and is now suing the driver and UPS. We were told UPS is claiming they have no liability since the driver was never told to specifically ask a customer to help him with this package, so the driver is the only one liable.

My question is does anyone know anything about this, and how would this affect over 70 response from mgm't.

In our center the driver assist code was removed from the boards and we are told that there is no longer any credit given to a driver when told to help another driver with a package beyond the to and from miles. We have also been given a PCM this week that the proper method in handling over 70's is to go to the stop first, see if a male is available to assist you, then, and only then, message the building that you need help.
first off, find out if it's true. like, find out if its a fact, not hearsay. if it is true, work to rule; it's in your contract after all. i don't know how such a stupid lawsuit could stand up in court, both subjects were acting in good faith and the injured knew of the risk. i forgot the latin term for known risk.

having it say in the collective agreement that drivers must diad for driver assist, however, won't help.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You could always, kick said over 70 to the rear door, wind out reverse across the customers lawn and slam on brakes just short of the front porch. No assistance needed!

I don't do that exactly. I just back up to the garage or carport and slide the thing out the back door. I have never had any help on an 0/70.:tongue_sm