Over allowed

jugbutt2

Hey Guys - new to the board. I was on both sides of the issue at one time or another. Out of the company after 29 years - 20 with a tie on. Reading your posts here it looks like a lot of the same old same old - still trying to do too much with too little! Mgmt fighting with IE to get enough people to get the job done, and not able to get the people. Someone needs to knock IE back a notch or two. The folks at the local ctrs could do a better job without them. Good luck, and take care of my stock!!

browniehound

Tie, come on man, just because we make more money dosen't mean we can be more productive on that fact alone(give me another reason why we should do more work in the same amount of time and I'll bite). I have an anology for you. 4 years ago your car got 35 MPG. You can't expect it to get 39 MPG just because the price of gas doubled in that time. In fact, you would expect the car to be less efficient because its older. At the same time, you would expect a driver to as efficient because he knows the route cold, but he is now 44 and not 40 and may have "lost a step"

Bill

I have been running the same route for 6 years, the route was time studied 5 years ago. 6 years ago i used to have 120 stops 225 pakages, now the route has changed over years now its 120 stops 400 pakages. Gained about 20 new bussiness stops, mngtm is constantly threating me and harassing me cause i am 120 overallowed over everyday, they make comments that they are going to fire me etc. They say i am the worst driver in district.

They rode with me for 3 days about a year ago, could not find any faults. They say that they cant do time study , because its too expensive.
Does anyone else relate to my post? Routes change, but management seems to never change.
Very simple solution. Go to the supervisor and ask him to do your route for one day while you watch him. If he can run scratch for one day, then you will do it everyday, but there will be no skipping lunch break. I guarantee he doesn't step foot in your package car.

tieguy

Banned
correction DICtator its four bucks effective Aug 1 it will be five bucks!:cool:

thanks for the correction loserPUSer . You guys all act like you just started with this company yesterday. You guys all act like you all of a sudden think you work for a company that will ask you to do less in august then you did 5 years ago. So everytime someone makes a post where they cry because they just discovered that UPS now expects him to do more then he did 5 years ago you curmudgeons do the old ups can't hold you accountable for production numbers song and dance. So this guy now thinks his UPS is doing something unusual. So he'll go back and have a miserable time at work getting his but kicked for being a lazy slug because he based on what you guys told him now thinks his boss is asking something unusual. You'd do him a hell of a lot more good if you reminded him that he works for UPS and that we only expect more not less.

HazMatMan

Suck it up. You make 5 bucks an hour more then you did six years ago. You should expect that you would be asked to do more.

I don't think UPS ever "asks" us to do more, it just gets shoved down our throats...:lol: I love playing chess with UPS....

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have been running the same route for 6 years, the route was time studied 5 years ago. 6 years ago i used to have 120 stops 225 pakages, now the route has changed over years now its 120 stops 400 pakages. Gained about 20 new bussiness stops, mngtm is constantly threating me and harassing me cause i am 120 overallowed over everyday, they make comments that they are going to fire me etc. They say i am the worst driver in district.

They rode with me for 3 days about a year ago, could not find any faults. They say that they cant do time study , because its too expensive.
Does anyone else relate to my post? Routes change, but management seems to never change.
Come to north illinois you would be a great driver with those numbers. Im over 2 everyday and get double time for over 9.5, Brian keep up the good work and remember your only as good as your management team!

705red

Browncafe Steward
thanks for the correction loserPUSer . You guys all act like you just started with this company yesterday. You guys all act like you all of a sudden think you work for a company that will ask you to do less in august then you did 5 years ago. So everytime someone makes a post where they cry because they just discovered that UPS now expects him to do more then he did 5 years ago you curmudgeons do the old ups can't hold you accountable for production numbers song and dance. So this guy now thinks his UPS is doing something unusual. So he'll go back and have a miserable time at work getting his but kicked for being a lazy slug because he based on what you guys told him now thinks his boss is asking something unusual. You'd do him a hell of a lot more good if you reminded him that he works for UPS and that we only expect more not less.
Tie, tie, tie you have been a little moody lately! Whats the matter not making those numbers? Too many over allowed? Does brian work for you?

For a while there you could be objective in your discussions but as of lately its the old tie guy back. The one that bleeds brown, the one that hates the rank n file back bone of this company. Tie i think you need a vacation!

outta hours

You'd do him a hell of a lot more good if you reminded him that he works for UPS and that we only expect more not less.

We as drivers should expect more also. No misloads, better load conditions, a decent dispatch. But we very seldom get these things. Does that mean our management team has failed? I know mine makes more money than they did five years ago so based on the logic presented in this thread I should expect more from them. But the things I mention have never been produced much less improved upon the last 5 years. Soon maybe someone will step up and see PAS for what it is. A failure just like the team management concept,deferring pkgs.,etc. The emperor is not wearing any clothes can someone have the courage to say so.

Brownnblue

Classic!!! It's happened every time in my twenty one years as a driver. I want the equation for my livelihood explained and I get insulted and demeaned. Yes, I would like to see how and why my production numbers are calculated and applied; and because of this I am called ill tempered and stubborn.

Hiding something???? Brianbrown just wanted to know about his numbers as they apply to his route. Is this too much to ask???

And how is it you can spell curmudgeon right and but wrong???

dammor

Get a grip tie. I'm guessing you got your butt chewed from above today.
Probably because you didn't whip your people enough to make the numbers.
I do know you have inspierd me though. I run under most days, but apparently not enough. Monday I will go out and break a hip because of your rant. I'm sure I can do better if I just stop following the proper methods and drive like a maniac. Thanks for the motivational post........

DorkHead

I realize UPS expects more. That`s why in my previous post I offered advice on the proper and professional way to find a solution to his problem. Tie, you should be offering positive advise along with your comments. All you`re doing is bringing out people`s "anti Company" feelings with your posts on this thread.

tieguy

Banned
I realize UPS expects more. That`s why in my previous post I offered advice on the proper and professional way to find a solution to his problem. Tie, you should be offering positive advise along with your comments. All you`re doing is bringing out people`s "anti Company" feelings with your posts on this thread.

I'm sorry dorkhead I didn't realize the poster wanted to have his ass kissed. Reality is the guy is going to be expected to do more then what he did 5 years ago. I'm sorry I was the bad guy that was honest in revealing that point to him. Brian how can I sugercoat that information so you enjoy it better?:thumbup1:

brazenbrown

How does one gain 20 new stops and still have 120?

If they saw you were perfect when they rode with you how does one put up with being threatened and harassed without filing a grievance? Even if they did not ride with you they still are not allowed to threaten you.

Either you're a 12 year driver that can't find a shop steward or you enjoy being talked to that way or just maybe you're stretching it a bit..

My take is this is one of your first posts on this site and you're full of you know what, trying to get the people here all worked up over your little made up story.

Otherwise, I find it hard to believe that a 12 year employee would put up with this kind of crap and then come on a message board to get advice before even getting his steward involved...and this has been happening how long??

Sorry, but something missing as far as I can tell. Prove me wrong!!:wink:

End of story!!

tieguy

Banned
Classic!!! It's happened every time in my twenty one years as a driver. I want the equation for my livelihood explained and I get insulted and demeaned.

Eh brown I don't want to take anything away from your management hate trip but I didn't respond to your post. I responded to loserupsers posts who insulted me first.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, tie, tie you have been a little moody lately! Whats the matter not making those numbers? Too many over allowed? Does brian work for you?

For a while there you could be objective in your discussions but as of lately its the old tie guy back. The one that bleeds brown, the one that hates the rank n file back bone of this company. Tie i think you need a vacation!

Being objective does not make me stupid and does not make me a pushover. You told someone on another thread to file a grievance on a supervisor working when the poster clearly stated the reason the sup worked was because the employees were absent no call no show. Perhaps you need a lesson on objectivity or perhaps you could use a vacation?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Im a fifteen yr driver and I used to get beat up over my over allowed every day.

Ive told the story as many others have ad nauseum.
I went from being scratch or better to 170 or more late every day, and overnight. I went from 65-85 for 8hrs to 100, to now sometimes 120 is not called 8 hrs. It doesnt matter if I have 12 sporh, or 16. It doesnt matter if I have 60 mi or 80, it doesnt matter if I have 200 del pcs or 360, I work til im done and its sometimes 10 hrs, and before the "new and improved #s I would have been a star. Now Im "least best" Which is very hard on a person with a good work ethic. And where Im from, they say, as stated before, they cant do a thing to you about overallow. I guess its a trade off with the union, you dont tell us to fix our numbers, and we will just beat your people to death to try to meet them. I guess contractually no they wont or cant do anything about it., but as far as a sense of pride, you have it, you know you are doing everything the same, safely and by the book, and you are the worst. While in theory everything gets better with time. I know every address, where Im going to leave it, I can remember how to skirt over to one out of the way and make the most of my time, and I still suck. On the OR.
After my last 3 day where I did 13.8 to 14.2 I was just told, and I quote " I cant find where you are losing time but the boss wants 15", and I just said well it sucks to be him, since it isnt possible. You cant tell me how to do it, just tell me I gotta do it. If I do commercial 7 hrs, @ 12 ph with 15 pick ups which start at 4, then I can do 15, but I only have 1 1/2 hrs to do it with 20 min back to building, and its all in one area, I might make 14.5, but I can rarely make 15, and since its usually 40 stops in 3 areas, it is rarely tight enough to get the quota. So now they tell me they know the numbers are wrong but I still look bad, and thats one helluva career, to look like you just got by on seniority or gender, when none of its true. So I understand the dismay, and FYI the union does not help. They are in the same bed, they need UPS. JMHO

And I show up every day, because its my job. Maybe they wish I would just go away, so they could hire a young stud. But you know they call on the veterans when something needs done, and it gets done, when you gotta pull to pick up someones NDA, it cuts down your sporh, big time, or when you get 8 oms msgs about one loser pkg, when you have 300 to worry about. Not like you had a beating heart in a cooler that had to be there, early. Its usually a phone, pc, or clothing they just have to have for the weekend, and you dont get to correctly record your time for the reattempt as it is a dup stop. Venting again I know, but where else does anyone listen?

Im a fifteen yr driver and I used to get beat up over my over allowed every day.

Ive told the story as many others have ad nauseum.
I went from being scratch or better to 170 or more late every day, and overnight. I went from 65-85 for 8hrs to 100, to now sometimes 120 is not called 8 hrs. It doesnt matter if I have 12 sporh, or 16. It doesnt matter if I have 60 mi or 80, it doesnt matter if I have 200 del pcs or 360, I work til im done and its sometimes 10 hrs, and before the "new and improved #s I would have been a star. Now Im "least best" Which is very hard on a person with a good work ethic. And where Im from, they say, as stated before, they cant do a thing to you about overallow. I guess its a trade off with the union, you dont tell us to fix our numbers, and we will just beat your people to death to try to meet them. I guess contractually no they wont or cant do anything about it., but as far as a sense of pride, you have it, you know you are doing everything the same, safely and by the book, and you are the worst. While in theory everything gets better with time. I know every address, where Im going to leave it, I can remember how to skirt over to one out of the way and make the most of my time, and I still suck. On the OR.
After my last 3 day where I did 13.8 to 14.2 I was just told, and I quote " I cant find where you are losing time but the boss wants 15", and I just said well it sucks to be him, since it isnt possible. You cant tell me how to do it, just tell me I gotta do it. If I do commercial 7 hrs, @ 12 ph with 15 pick ups which start at 4, then I can do 15, but I only have 1 1/2 hrs to do it with 20 min back to building, and its all in one area, I might make 14.5, but I can rarely make 15, and since its usually 40 stops in 3 areas, it is rarely tight enough to get the quota. So now they tell me they know the numbers are wrong but I still look bad, and thats one helluva career, to look like you just got by on seniority or gender, when none of its true. So I understand the dismay, and FYI the union does not help. They are in the same bed, they need UPS. JMHO

What do the cover drivers usually do on that route? If their numbers are simular, who cares?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Boss ran it with another driver, 3 hrs late with 85. and 2 people.
Runner ran it .50 late and hes always 200hrs early. He ranted and raved, that he didnt even have time to pee, much less take a break or lunch. So it took the heat off, but the fact remains, they make me look bad on paper. and that to me is detrimental to moral. And happy employees are better employees.