Over Dispatches and 9 hour days.

Ipopsheep

Management says the dispatch I received should have me back at the center and punched out with our lunch included at 18:35. I got back at 19:20. Management says it was feasible and I should have been able to do it. I say I had 200 t-shirt boxes to deliver to 10 different business. I can only fit 6 t-shirt boxes on my cart at a time and its heavy. Not only that I am dragging these stupid boxes in a winter storm. Long story short. my question is:

How do we defend ourselves from over-dispatching and rogue managers in regards to everyone being on the 9-5 list after new contract? I put in a hard days work and don't fart around yet I cant make these impossible time tables. I need to be able to defend myself against this.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Union does not recognize production numbers simple as that, do your best and stand your ground. What is he going to do when your union steward is in the office having him tell your steward how you should have been in at 1835.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Just like BigBrown said...The companies numbers mean jack :censored2: to the Union so as long as you are giving an honest days work then don't worry. Most drivers in my center are 2 hours over everyday, not because we all slack off, but because their time studies are a joke. When the center manager admits that certain routes are impossible to scratch, then you know for sure how accurate their "numbers" are.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Management says the dispatch I received should have me back at the center and punched out with our lunch included at 18:35. I got back at 19:20. Management says it was feasible and I should have been able to do it. I say I had 200 t-shirt boxes to deliver to 10 different business. I can only fit 6 t-shirt boxes on my cart at a time and its heavy. Not only that I am dragging these stupid boxes in a winter storm. Long story short. my question is:

How do we defend ourselves from over-dispatching and rogue managers in regards to everyone being on the 9-5 list after new contract? I put in a hard days work and don't fart around yet I cant make these impossible time tables. I need to be able to defend myself against this.

Look up and read article 37 of the master. If they try to hassle you about numbers to the point that you feel harassed, file a harassment grievance.

JL 0513

I had 200 t-shirt boxes to deliver to 10 different business.

Time allowance is 22 minutes for that.

Just like BigBrown said...The companies numbers mean jack :censored2: to the Union so as long as you are giving an honest days work then don't worry. Most drivers in my center are 2 hours over everyday, not because we all slack off, but because their time studies are a joke. When the center manager admits that certain routes are impossible to scratch, then you know for sure how accurate their "numbers" are.

I love how they even admit the bad time studies but won't do a new study. My center manager admitted the same thing last week at a PCM.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

“I’am doing the best I can”

542thruNthru

1st everyone is not on the 9.5 list. Even when the new contract goes into effect. You will be able to opt in or out.

This 9.5 initiative is the companies thing and like others have said we don't recognize their numbers.

Defend yourself by doing your job and not cutting corners. When they ask you what happen. Tell them you were over dispatched and if they don't like your numbers tell them to demonstrate how to do your route and you'll be happy to ride along. ;)

In a nut shell you don't need to explain yourself. No matter what you do, you will never be fast enough on some routes.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
fyi there is no such thing as time studies anymore

each unit area has characteristics assigned to it that give it X amount of hours/piece, hours/stop, and hours/mile

542thruNthru

each unit area has characteristics assigned to it that give it X amount of hours/piece, hours/stop, and hours/mile

FYI

Don't care, your numbers mean :censored2: to me. ;)

tumblr_mw48r54hpH1sp4nfqo6_250.gif

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

I've been trying to figure out how the numbers are derived since I started driving, even though I understand they aren't recognized by the union. I like a good puzzle, and time allowances are like trying to put one together with only a piece or two at a time. I had come to the conclusion that you just confirmed. I am assuming that there is no differentiation between commercial, residential, and perhaps even pick ups as far as time per stop, probably even more so since CIR.

I also assume they establish an average speed on each route to derive a time for number of miles driven. If this is the case, this is where I believe many of the routes depart from reality. And if there are any delays there's no catching up without running or skipping breaks.

Sometimes I wonder if the numbers are so unrealistic to motivate the drivers, or to minimize supervisor's bonuses.

Indecisi0n

Try using two handcarts at the same time.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Hand your boss the key fob and tell him to go out on your route and show you how to get done by 6pm....sometimes you have to stand up for yourself man and this is one of those times....do not go out there now and try to “crush it” or “kill it” like some of these other fool drivers do... they will NEVER make it 30 years doing that day in and day out.. guaranteed

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I've been trying to figure out how the numbers are derived since I started driving, even though I understand they aren't recognized by the union. I like a good puzzle, and time allowances are like trying to put one together with only a piece or two at a time. I had come to the conclusion that you just confirmed. I am assuming that there is no differentiation between commercial, residential, and perhaps even pick ups as far as time per stop, probably even more so since CIR.

I also assume they establish an average speed on each route to derive a time for number of miles driven. If this is the case, this is where I believe many of the routes depart from reality. And if there are any delays there's no catching up without running or skipping breaks.

Sometimes I wonder if the numbers are so unrealistic to motivate the drivers, or to minimize supervisor's bonuses.
You are putting too much thought into all of this... it’s a tool that a corporation uses to deal with a union workforce... it was never meant to be fair but to squeeze people into working off the clock and skipping lunch and breaks like some of these fool drivers do.... you do realize that there are drivers out there who put their breaks and lunch down at the same time they are onroad driving back to the building... total scammers... I have known many over the years who have manipulated the system to get bonus or run scratch and a few have been let go once ups found what happen... don’t fall into this trap

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I can't remember the last time, I heard of IE doing a "physical" time study.

Maybe 2009 or 2010 ? Now, it's just the virtual time study.

I doubt there is anyone in IE, that would even know how to do a physical

time study.

Hand your boss the key fob and tell him to go out on your route and show you how to get done by 6pm.

Yep.

"Brown up.... Or, shut up."

"I'm doing the best I can.... in the safest manner possible."

End of story.

-Bug-

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You are putting too much thought into all of this... it’s a tool that a corporation uses to deal with a union workforce... it was never meant to be fair but to squeeze people into working off the clock and skipping lunch and breaks like some of these fool drivers do.... you do realize that there are drivers out there who put their breaks and lunch down at the same time they are onroad driving back to the building... total scammers... I have known many over the years who have manipulated the system to get bonus or run scratch and a few have been let go once ups found what happen... don’t fall into this trap

I understand and agree. I'm still interested in how they come up with the numbers they do. I believe their numbers are wrong, but I don't think they are random.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I understand and agree. I'm still interested in how they come up with the numbers they do. I believe their numbers are wrong, but I don't think they are random.
You can ask 10 on roads something about time studies and get 10 different answers..... years ago the union went to a top college to get them to figure out if ups production numbers were correct and if we were being given a decent time allowance to do things ... the school said they would have to have the actual metrics that ups uses so they could figure out a sample day per those metrics. Ups said they are confidential information that are not public info....maybe @BigUnionGuy has more information on this... so they want you to run certain numbers but they won’t let you know how these numbers are calculated... it’s basically smoke and mirrors because if we all were in the know then their numbers could be debunked ....

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I am assuming that there is no differentiation between commercial, residential, and perhaps even pick ups as far as time per stop, probably even more so since CIR.

1. there is a difference between commercial, resi, and pickups

the problem is they rely 100% on driver data averages to compile this, and they need months of it

so if you have a runner who doesn’t follow methods, it can really :censored2: up the average

2. travel is the biggest issue, here ORWM will play games and punish centers for having drivers that speed through areas

again months of data averages, but if they ignore good data and select runner data, it :censored2:s things up

3. neither, on road sups hate the whole time allowance thing, and have almost zero education in it

Dragon

Package Center Manager
1st everyone is not on the 9.5 list. Even when the new contract goes into effect. You will be able to opt in or out.

This 9.5 initiative is the companies thing and like others have said we don't recognize their numbers.

Defend yourself by doing your job and not cutting corners. When they ask you what happen. Tell them you were over dispatched and if they don't like your numbers tell them to demonstrate how to do your route and you'll be happy to ride along. ;)

In a nut shell you don't need to explain yourself. No matter what you do, you will never be fast enough on some routes.

Kind of like the coach tells the Quarterback in the NFL to do it a certain way, do you think the Quarterback tells the coach come show me how to do it?

Just a thought.....