Overboard Termination looking for advice

Overpaid Union Thug

Hi I've been working at a ups hub for 7 years with 0 incidents as a loader last Friday I was a bit stressed from the work week, and I saw that the volume was picking up and the high picks were rushing around. We were all tired from the weeks workload so I thought I could help out by letting them get through that flow by getting on my belt without telling them to shut it off, the jam was small and I walked about 2 feet to break it, I grabbed the safety rail once it was broken and all was good 5mins later my full time sup calls me down and there's this guy I've never met shaking my hand asking me how long have I worked here I told him 7 years I heard him mumble something I blew it off and went back to my truck to finish loading, again my full time sup called me out to go to an office this guy was sitting there I sat down to see what was going on and he started talking about how I surfed the belt apparently, then added about a 0 tolerance safety infraction which was news to me and terminated me on the spot I filed a grievance but I've been gone for a week now the union guys haven't called me back like they said, and I want to get back to work has this ever happened to you guys?
You should not have been terminated for that unless you have a recent history of crossing moving belts that includes warning letters and suspensions. A good steward/BA would have had you back to work the next day with a warning letter instead of termination.

oldngray

nowhere special
In my building, each pull has about 30 of those cages to pull out of.

When I worked preload there were 25 cages of each color (5 colors) so 125 cages total. Plus each cage has top, middle, and bottom. 15 preloaders each loading 3 or 4 trucks (but sometimes more). Extra routes could be added with rollers but that was slow and inefficient. That is for each boxline. There were 2 boxlines but some buildings have more.

Last edited:

upschuck

When I worked preload there were 25 cages of each color (5 colors) so 125 cages total. Plus each cage has top, middle, and bottom. 15 preloaders each loading 3 or 4 trucks (but sometimes more). Extra routes could be added with rollers but that was slow and inefficient.
I thinking we had six colors @30 a piece per line and two boxlines, with not enough room for the bigger trucks to get out efficiently.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You should not have been terminated for that unless you have a recent history of crossing moving belts that includes warning letters and suspensions. A good steward/BA would have had you back to work the next day with a warning letter instead of termination.

Not necessarily.

When UPS terminates employees for issues such as this, they know that they have no liability.

UPS knows that there is no chance of backpay, so they can keep him off as long as they care to.

UPS is going to make a point that they take safety very serious.

He will get at least a week off with no backpay. I know it has been more than a week, but a discharge needs to be heard within 5 days.

While I said that UPS takes safety seriously, we all know that they really don't care. But they need to fool OSHA into believing to keep them off their backs. And this is what they will do with this guy.

If OSHA investigates this, do you know how big the fine will be?

UPS's defense would be that they fired the guy.

He does have an "out" though. UPS witnessed this "serious" safety violation but did not take him out of service immediately.

Here is where a good Steward or BA should get him back with full back pay.

Overpaid Union Thug

Not necessarily.

When UPS terminates employees for issues such as this, they know that they have no liability.

UPS knows that there is no chance of backpay, so they can keep him off as long as they care to.

UPS is going to make a point that they take safety very serious.

He will get at least a week off with no backpay. I know it has been more than a week, but a discharge needs to be heard within 5 days.

While I said that UPS takes safety seriously, we all know that they really don't care. But they need to fool OSHA into believing to keep them off their backs. And this is what they will do with this guy.

If OSHA investigates this, do you know how big the fine will be?

UPS's defense would be that they fired the guy.

He does have an "out" though. UPS witnessed this "serious" safety violation but did not take him out of service immediately.

Here is where a good Steward or BA should get him back with full back pay.
He did not commit a cardinal sin. Therefore progressive discipline would come into play. They skipped that part. Unless, of course, the OP didn't tell us the whole story. So, for that reason, along with (or singularly) the fact that he was permitted to return to work after being so dangerous a good steward/BA would have had him back to work with back pay in a speedy fashion.

Overpaid Union Thug

Progressive discipline, for walking on moving belts ?

You must not be familiar with the ADA case, out of California.

Guy got his arm ripped off....

-Bug-

If we let UPS ignore certain language because of an emotional knee jerk reaction based on other people getting their arms ripped off then they will start ignoring even more language. The OP should have gotten a warning letter or suspended if they have a recent history of safety violations. Not terminated on the spot. But UPS treated him like he committed a cardinal sin when he did not. A good steward or BA would be all over that, along with the fact that he was permitted to continue to work, first before citing cases where people have had their arms ripped off. The stupidity of him walking on a moving belt should have definitely been addressed but that stupidity shouldn't negate contract language.

If we let UPS ignore certain language because of an emotional knee jerk reaction based on other people getting their arms ripped off then they will start ignoring even more language. The OP should have gotten a warning letter or suspended if they have a recent history of safety violations. Not terminated on the spot. But UPS treated him like he committed a cardinal sin when he did not. A good steward or BA would be all over that, along with the fact that he was permitted to continue to work, first before citing cases where people have had their arms ripped off. The stupidity of him walking on a moving belt should have definitely been addressed but that stupidity shouldn't negate contract language.
Well said. I agree 100%

govols019

You smell that?
When I was a preloader our center manager at the time would walk down the moving belt hollering for us to get the cars closed out....He also did this while smoking a cigarette......Old times.

When I was a preloader our center manager at the time would walk down the moving belt hollering for us to get the cars closed out....He also did this while smoking a cigarette......Old times.
You used to be able to smoke inside the building, just not in the office. Not lime that stopped the supervisors from doing it.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm glad our chain smoking sups are restricted to the "break areas" outside nowadays. Smoking is a bad nasty habit that others shouldn't have to put with.