overworked grievance

Box Ox

Sorry if this has already been answered here but i looked it up and couldn't find anything. So this whole week I've been loading around 1,100- 1,200 packages during my preload shift(not counting sure post bags, if i did it would be around 1,500), am I able to grieve about this? If so what is the limit for the amount of packages to load during a shift?

Nope. That was a typical day for me as a preloader. Can do it or not.

35years

Gravy route
220 per hour?

Decades ago the "mar" for unloaders was 1,000-1,200 per hour.
5,000 in a shift.

I know unloading is a different job, but preload is far easier on your body.

Unloaders would give their left nut to only move 220 pph.

220 per hour?

5,000 in a shift.

Those unloaders should go to the preload then.

542thruNthru

220 per hour?

5,000 in a shift.

I only have to maintain a 15sporh. So what's your point?

F

Frankie's Friend

220 per hour?

5,000 in a shift.

"Decades ago" the pkgs werent ov 70 lbs and there wasnt the torrent of irregs (sofas, recliners, concrete chutes, etc) to "work in the load". Look at yhe size of the average truck in our line up now dad. And the mar was actually 1600/hr on unload here 25 yrs ago.

F

Frankie's Friend

Sorry if this has already been answered here but i looked it up and couldn't find anything. So this whole week I've been loading around 1,100- 1,200 packages during my preload shift(not counting sure post bags, if i did it would be around 1,500), am I able to grieve about this? If so what is the limit for the amount of packages to load during a shift?
Dude, work more safely and file for double time for supes working. Two rights will fix two wrongs.

john chesney

I need to know the limit of how many packages I'm obligated to load, so i can not have to load more than the average guy. Management said if i don't want to load the cars then i have to leave, which means no money, which equals no rent. So homelessness is the caliber of gun they are holding to my head if you wanna make that analogy..
As many packages as they can get you to right up to the point of death. Then you get to do it all over again tomorrow.Then in 30 years you might get to retire.

Don't work less, don't work less safely and don't worry about everybody else. Do your friction job to the best of your ability. Firing a preloaded for not loading PPH is next to impossible. If you don't believe me next time they are speaking to you about it respectfully ask them that question, not warning letters, but when was the last discharge for PPH, NOT. NOT NOT

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
So your'e saying that loading 1,100 plus packages in 5 hours at $11.50 an hour is a fair days pay for a fair days work? I would have to disagree.
As a driver, do you know what I do when I have more packages than what it usually takes me for 9 1/2 hours worth of work? I simply work later. Do you understand? And I still can’t understand if you want less packages or you want to get out of work earlier.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
So you have the hardest pull in the building and you want to work less, but you're also worrying that you'll be reprimanded and lose your job and your home. Your manager says if you don't want to load the cars, then leave. Personally, I'd expect that response. Don't want to work, leave.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
There is no time differential. And safety would be a reason for working slower.
strictly 5 hour shifts, always, never more, never less.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I don't get the driver responses sometimes with preload. I see it sometimes when people bid routes too.
Having a harder assignment does not equal working harder. 1200 pieces is 6 hours of work. Did not get 6 hours? then the drivers get to see 1 hour's of work not be done when they walk in. Simple. Not our fault.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
If I worked longer than 5 hours I get kicked off the clock
literally a supervisor will walk down the belt. last 50 packages sitting out
"clock out"
Ok bro.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Those unloaders should go to the preload then.
I unloaded a couple times during peak
First thing I noticed was that the 1000 was almost always doable.
But then some load from the southeast with piss poor loading would come in and you would struggle to get heavy crap off of a pile of light crap.

The wear and tear is a bit more but I found I could mitigate it by moving the extendo forward constantly. Stand on a load platform. and dump everything on the belt, using my feet to position the labels up.

Which is at least 1/3 less work than what you do to load from a boxline.

So your'e saying that loading 1,100 plus packages in 5 hours at $11.50 an hour is a fair days pay for a fair days work? I would have to disagree.
As a driver, do you know what I do when I have more packages than what it usually takes me for 9 1/2 hours worth of work? I simply work later. Do you understand? And I still can’t understand if you want less packages or you want to get out of work earlier.

:censored2: yeah dude give me more hours, peak season I would go to a different building even after my shift and work 12 hours a day. I load belt to car so when they push all these :censored2:ing packages out in 5 hours I can’t just leave them on a slide they get stacked out in and in front of the car so I can’t even get in, missing a package that goes by the belt is like a cardinal sin and management will try to write you up and tempers flare. This :censored2: is downright immoral, and dude yeah if I was getting paid 30+ dollars an hour I wouldn’t care how much work I had either so don’t try to compare it. I do more labor than you and I can’t even pay my rent at the end of the month. So have fun rolling around in your truck sipping your big gulp making bank.

Dritalin

:censored2: yeah dude give me more hours, peak season I would go to a different building even after my shift and work 12 hours a day. I load belt to car so when they push all these :censored2:ing packages out in 5 hours I can’t just leave them on a slide they get stacked out in and in front of the car so I can’t even get in, missing a package that goes by the belt is like a cardinal sin and management will try to write you up and tempers flare. This :censored2: is downright immoral, and dude yeah if I was getting paid 30+ dollars an hour I wouldn’t care how much work I had either so don’t try to compare it. I do more labor than you and I can’t even pay my rent at the end of the month. So have fun rolling around in your truck sipping your big gulp making bank.

Managing the volume coming down the belt is not your job. You keep thinking that you're a supervisor. Your job is to load packages as fast as you can in a reasonable and safe way. Period. Full stop.

I have been a part timer for three years now and I always try to push myself because I like the exercise. Develop a backbone and utterly refuse to work harder than you can safely. If you don't have clear egress, if there is a "mountain" of packages then tell your supervisor you are going to file a safety grievance if he/she doesn't take care of it. Move fast and earn your money, but when you are no longer able to move a package in good form, or using the 8 keys to lifting/lowering, then you've met your obligation. If you are feeling significant muscle fatigue then you need to slow down and pace yourself better.

Take a deep breath, the mountain can pile up all day long until it shuts the belt off. That is not your fault. That's not your responsibility. Be polite, be professional and work hard and I've never seen a supervisor that won't get you the help you need if you stand up for yourself. They might try to write you up for other things, but just work as directed, talk to your steward and the union will have your back.

clean hairy

What we do not know is if OP has been consistant with the pph for the past 2 yrs, and just now management has a problem with the production.....

F

Frankie's Friend

Managing the volume coming down the belt is not your job. You keep thinking that you're a supervisor. Your job is to load packages as fast as you can in a reasonable and safe way. Period. Full stop.

I have been a part timer for three years now and I always try to push myself because I like the exercise. Develop a backbone and utterly refuse to work harder than you can safely. If you don't have clear egress, if there is a "mountain" of packages then tell your supervisor you are going to file a safety grievance if he/she doesn't take care of it. Move fast and earn your money, but when you are no longer able to move a package in good form, or using the 8 keys to lifting/lowering, then you've met your obligation. If you are feeling significant muscle fatigue then you need to slow down and pace yourself better.

Take a deep breath, the mountain can pile up all day long until it shuts the belt off. That is not your fault. That's not your responsibility. Be polite, be professional and work hard and I've never seen a supervisor that won't get you the help you need if you stand up for yourself. They might try to write you up for other things, but just work as directed, talk to your steward and the union will have your back.
Mostly true. Not every local "has your back". Some will go behind it and youll feel the pain.
I say take your phone and shoot pics of the egress violations, write a signed letter to osha, and send the pics with it. Things will get better alot faster than filing a grievance and either load positions will be added or the original problem you posted about will be balanced out. I go with an osha report for the win.