overworked grievance

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by part time 4 lyfe, Mar 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. part time 4 lyfe

part time 4 lyfe New Member

Sorry if this has already been answered here but i looked it up and couldn't find anything. So this whole week I've been loading around 1,100- 1,200 packages during my preload shift(not counting sure post bags, if i did it would be around 1,500), am I able to grieve about this? If so what is the limit for the amount of packages to load during a shift?

2. wide load

wide load Starting wage is a waste of time.

So let me understand this, you want to grieve the fact that you choose to work harder than the average guy? What caliber is the gun that they are holding to your head?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. part time 4 lyfe

I need to know the limit of how many packages I'm obligated to load, so i can not have to load more than the average guy. Management said if i don't want to load the cars then i have to leave, which means no money, which equals no rent. So homelessness is the caliber of gun they are holding to my head if you wanna make that analogy..

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  4. wide load

How long have you worked there?

5. part time 4 lyfe

almost 2 years, it wasn't as bad before but since peak season this year they have been understaffing the belt I assume to look good in the first quarter.

6. wide load

If you have a contract, Look at the very first sentence of the article 37.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. AlliSeeisBrown

AlliSeeisBrown Active Member

So you have the hardest pull in the building and you want to work less, but you're also worrying that you'll be reprimanded and lose your job and your home. Your manager says if you don't want to load the cars, then leave. Personally, I'd expect that response. Don't want to work, leave.

8. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

Why do you think you are entitled to load less than other people?

9. part time 4 lyfe

So your'e saying that loading 1,100 plus packages in 5 hours at $11.50 an hour is a fair days pay for a fair days work? I would have to disagree.

10. part time 4 lyfe

No right now I am loading more than other people, I would like it to be even. But also I think everyone is loading too much because the belt is understaffed which is why supervisors work the whole day.

11. upschuck

Someone has to be top loader. There is more than just numbers that dictate the hardness of a pull. If you are doing it by the methods, then you just gotta suck up the perceived persecution you are enduring.

12. upschuck

Only happen in a perfect world.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  13. AlliSeeisBrown

AlliSeeisBrown Active Member

To be blunt... That's only 220pph (packages per hour) which is a metric that UPS uses to measure your productivity. Your opinion might matter to you and some others, but it doesn't matter to UPS. If you're unhappy with your workload and pay rate, then my opinion would be to look elsewhere for employment.

Go ahead and file for supervisors working though. It might help with your current problem by forcing them to staff more workers.

14. burrheadd

burrheadd Esquire

193E80C6-7833-4F3A-8EEC-03A28B1B2A13.gif

15. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. wide load

So why not just simply load less?

17. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

18. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Use the PPH metric. You load 1100 pcs in 5 hours. It’s 220 pph.

Do you want to work only 4 hours? Ask to be moved to cars with only 875 pcs.

19. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

...or load what you can and not worry about what anybody else is doing?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. Heffalump

Heffalump Member

I got the same issue bud. I hate seeing the whole pen, light as rain yet my drop is a :censored2:ing moutain. Today I had 1300 packages with about half off those packages being OVER 50lbs spread across 5 trucks. Hardly any envelopes and several bulk stops EACH...but you really have to suck it up or look forward to transferring to sort or unload or smethin because if you've had it for over 2 years they're either better off letting you go than bringing you supposed "help" every day. File away though..