P/U times

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It's everywhere. All my accounts care about is that at the end of the day their stuff is gone. Someone thinks this is the most important thing this month.

DS

Fenderbender
I believe its universal.I think its only fair to the customer to expect a consistant pickup time every day.It pays off for the driver as well because 99% of the time the customer is ready
to click the end of day tab with no waiting if you show up at the same time each day.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
The pickup time within 15 minutes + -, has been around for a long time. We are allowed to move the times by simply telling the Preload Assist Sup or On Road Sup's. I know after the annual bid when drivers change routes and during the summer when customers hours change anything can happen. As long as the customer doesn't care neither does management.

30andout

I believe its universal.I think its only fair to the customer to expect a consistant pickup time every day.It pays off for the driver as well because 99% of the time the customer is ready
to click the end of day tab with no waiting if you show up at the same time each day.
Sounds like a plan, but how do you do it when your route changes every day and you p/u's are 15 minutes apart and are made on area????

DS

Fenderbender
Sounds like a plan, but how do you do it when your route changes every day and you p/u's are 15 minutes apart and are made on area????

I guess every run varies dramatically.I`m in a big city and
my 20 reg p/u`s are only 5 mins apart(tops)...even though I often get 15-20 oncalls on top of that,I manage to do it.
It may be a different story in rural areas.

jlphotog

I only have three scheduled p/u's and there are at 16:20, 16:30 and 16:40. I show up at the first one at 15:55 the next one is across the street and I am usually there by 16:00 and the third is a block away and I am there by 16:10. No one has a problem with it.

The former shipper at my last p/u told me I could show whenever I wanted but could not pick up until 16:40. The current shipper says as long as it's after 16:00 there is no problem. Which is kinda nice as I am usually finished everything else before I start my sched's.

BoogaBooga

That 15+- rule for pickups is nearly impossible. Our dispatch time varies by 1/2 hour everyday, our planned dispatch varies, and the routes change on a daily basis. I tell the pickup accounts that I can always come back-just pickup the phone and call the 800 number. I think we got in this situation by management ticking off pickup accounts by making alot of them on area pickups. The nastiest comments to management are from pickup account customers where I deliver and pickup at the same time.

browniehound

I only have three scheduled p/u's and there are at 16:20, 16:30 and 16:40. I show up at the first one at 15:55 the next one is across the street and I am usually there by 16:00 and the third is a block away and I am there by 16:10. No one has a problem with it.

The former shipper at my last p/u told me I could show whenever I wanted but could not pick up until 16:40. The current shipper says as long as it's after 16:00 there is no problem. Which is kinda nice as I am usually finished everything else before I start my sched's.

Sounds like life sucks for you:tongue_sm . Just kidding. Man, it sounds like you have a sweet route that if need be you could skip lunch and be headed back to the building at 1600 Good luck in the future, brother..

helenofcalifornia

Has anyone been warned or written up for late pickup times or not within the 15 minute window? Sounds fairly petty to me. Now if you weren't doing the pickups that would be an entirely different story.

Cementups

Box Monkey
When they first implemented the 15 +/- rule I told them there was no way I could possibly do that and they could not forcibly make it that way. See, all my pick ups are done in trace and are home based businesses for the most part. All 6 of them. My area is primarily rural.

I can totally understand the 15 +/- when you are in area that has a set p/u window such as p/u's only from 2:30-5 for example, but not all routes.

over9five

Staff member
"that should prove you are meeting the customers needs. The sole reason we are in business."

Well, that used to be true.

Now it's all about numbers on a report. It's the reason we're in trouble.

And it comes from the Number One Guy.

SmithBarney

Just have them re do your pickup times in the board...
my center manager had me re-order the whole pickup(screen)
He said "just put them in the order you do them in..with times"
Customers were not involved in the change, I was just
to tell them that there had been changes in the schedule.

30andout

Just have them re do your pickup times in the board...
my center manager had me re-order the whole pickup(screen)
He said "just put them in the order you do them in..with times"
Customers were not involved in the change, I was just
to tell them that there had been changes in the schedule.
I would need to change them daily w/my delivery area.:crying:

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
I stopped stressing it and trying to explain to them. You tell them about the on area nature of the p/u's and they go uhuh and the next day they are asking you to get them on time. I just let it slide on by. If they start giving out verbals or paper I may change my tune,but this was obviously made up by someone who never or barely drove. Remember that whole "Hire from within"? I swear from my immeadate sup on up they don't know and possibly never did know what it is like out there these days:drool: