Package car decals

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So true, in the late 70's early 80's, I was a car washer and was always drilled on having to keep the package cars clean inside and out every night. A dirty package car wasn't allowed on the street the next day at all. I was always told the best advertising UPS had was a shiny package car delivering right in the face of the public. Our clean image (vehicles and uniformed drivers) were perceived as being professional and superior to our competition.

If UPS would re-direct their marketing dollars, they could get more bang for their buck. It has to be cheaper to go back to paying the PT'ers (that are presently employed) a few hours to wash package cars. UPS would then again have that clean image sitting right out in the face of all of the public every day, rather than having a race car go around in circles or some golf course signage that only a few people notice. JMHO. But what do I know.........
Had a DM tell me one time back in the 80s if your cars not clean don't drive it
My how times have changed

rod

Retired 22 years
Had a DM tell me one time back in the 80s if your cars not clean don't drive it
My how times have changed

And for what its worth UPS had there own special way to wash a package car. You always started on the bottom and worked your way up. Even though normally they were trash heaps on the inside the outside was kept spotless.

I heard it was the EPA that got on UPS about the water they were wasting by washing the PCs every night. When they stopped, I used to drive mine through the car wash in the am when it was dirty. I liked having a clean PC. Now, I hate the job so much that I really don't give a spit anymore.

oldngray

nowhere special
I heard it was the EPA that got on UPS about the water they were wasting by washing the PCs every night. When they stopped, I used to drive mine through the car wash in the am when it was dirty. I liked having a clean PC. Now, I hate the job so much that I really don't give a spit anymore.

Nope. UPS stopped washing cars every night to save money.

rod

Retired 22 years

So is there any truth to this? I've never heard it explained that way. I would assume it was UPS's decision to stop it as just another cost cutting move.

FilingBluesFL

So true, in the late 70's early 80's, I was a car washer and was always drilled on having to keep the package cars clean inside and out every night. A dirty package car wasn't allowed on the street the next day at all. I was always told the best advertising UPS had was a shiny package car delivering right in the face of the public. Our clean image (vehicles and uniformed drivers) were perceived as being professional and superior to our competition.

Every time someone gets harassed about not wearing the proper socks or crap like that, the usual comeback to management is "What do people see more, this dirty package car with mud all over it, or my socks? As soon as my car is washed, then I'll worry about what my socks look like."

automaticP1300

I'm lucky. I've got the one decent car washer who actually cares what his cars look like. I keep the inside dash and windows wiped down every few days, and he keeps the outside clean. And he doesn't just run it through the wash bay, he actually scrubs the sections that the wash doesn't get.

T

Turdferguson

Would wash my own car once or twice a week. Hose out the inside cab when I did it. Making sure not to hose the electronics. Kept a whisk broom in back to clean shelves. Hated driving dirty and trashed out P.C.. I even made a diamond shaped monogram in the middle of the cab floor with the non slip tape they had. No matter how ticked off they made me that was my work space.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

I know when I car washed, we'd stagger the whole lineup every other car forward and wash each one nightly. In doing so, lots of water went down the gutter, thousands of gallons. At some point after I started driving, I was told the EPA made them install a curb to force the water to stay in the building. That's about the same time they stopped the "every car, every night wash." Now they wash a few cars every few days. Some go for literally months with no cleaning whatsoever. If it was solely EPA, I would've thought they'd switch to a waterless method. That never happened. It's money for the most part.

bluehdmc

The drive through carwashes recycle the water, that's required by the EPA. The problem with that is they have to maintain the filters. If they don't the water smells bad.

I think they removed "synchronizing the world of commerce" because it really sounded too complicated.

I know it's the competition but FedEx's "The world on Time" sounds a lot better and simpler.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This not true. They stopped washing the package cars on a daily basis to save money.

Packmule

I also started as a carwasher in late 70s. Not only were we expected to keep the cars clean, but when there was body damage of any kind it got sent to the shop for real repairs. Today, our trucks look like they limped home from a war zone.
Brown tape? On fiberglass dings? Really?

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
I also started as a carwasher in late 70s. Not only were we expected to keep the cars clean, but when there was body damage of any kind it got sent to the shop for real repairs. Today, our trucks look like they limped home from a war zone.
Brown tape? On fiberglass dings? Really?
On my front right I have duct tape painted brown!!!!