Package car driver ages??

mikeb

tnbrown
Started part-time in July 1994 at 21 while in school. Went full-time in August 1999 at 26. Been with UPS for 13 years, 8 as a driver.Im 35 now. Only 15 to 20 to go!

planoupsman

Started in 1983 at age 18 as a package clerk. Went driving in 1989 at 24. I'm 42 now with aches and pains daily, but I keep showing up every day.

H

hseofpayne

I am tired when I get off work and re-tired all over again when I get off the next day!! I started preload at 18, went driving pkg cars at 23. I am 41 now and feel like I have been kicked by a mule for the first 10 minutes I stand in the shower every morning; I spend a lot more time stretching and popping than I do bathing! I am out on workers comp from a wreck I had 14 months ago, takes a long time to heal after 23 years of UPS. I believe the 5 years I spent on preload did more damage to my body than driving. If you can, get one of those cushy reload jobs at night, those guys have it made compared to preload. Sounds like you are a go getter, management will just love you! Maybe after driving a while the management bug will hit you again, thats where a lot of our go getters end up, and might not be as stressful as owning your own business. I say hang in there, good money, even better benfits as long as you stay healthy.

Lobofan5

I started at UPS at 37. Going to be 40 in December. Ive been driving air for 18months, plus pre load the whole time. I have no idea If I will go driving full time or not when Im eligible (looks like that wont be for another two years or so).

However, If I want full time pay, that looks like my only option.

My guess is I will be one of the few women who start to drive full time at 40+.

Geezer in a big, brown truck. They will hand me a DIAD and my daily Centrum Silver.

Griff

Been with UPS since I was 19 years old. Made the jump from inside work to FT driving when I was 22, never did saturdays or airs. I'm 24 now, two years feels like twenty on my body and I've always been in good shape.

Started peak 1985 was 19 years old. Started driving at age 22. Retired at 41 years old. Body is fine but being treated so bad for so long has caught up to me. I at least got SSD and Disability pension so far. If you work safe and follow methods an don't listen to the crap you will be fine. I know a couple of guys that retired at 62 and healthy.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Hey again!!
How old were you when you first started to drive?
How old are you now?
How old will you be when you decide to retire or move on from package car?

I am 35 and just getting in the system as a part time loader. Will I be to old by the time I make it to driver? :confused:1
Thanks!

I was two weeks away from 19 when I started as a reloader. Went to the preload as fast as I could (more pay, easier work). As soon as I turned 21 I started driving (1978 - huge growth period for the company). At 50 I'm still at it and, for the most part, I don't feel any different physically than I did when I started. The big change was more mental than anything. I learned to stay within my abilities and not out-run myself. I still work hard but I have adopted the methods (imagine that) as the best and safest way to get the job done. So far it has served me well.

I'm not perfect and I don't follow the methods 100% all of the time but I figure that UPS knows what their doing after 100 years of tweaking.

As I have been known to say, "Do what they tell you. If it takes you longer, you make more money."

Leftinbuilding

Started as a driver at 21 (1973). Drove routes for 27+ years. Have been inside since. I am almost 56 (Dec.) and would be gone if housing market hadn't crumbled.

browniehound

KING
.You have to have more common sense than a human has.

DS, from what I have observed over the years from working at UPS is most humans have NO common sense. And the smarter they are on paper: that is the more degrees they have, the less common sense they have. Case
in point: that IDIOT MIT student at Logan airport today

SteveOUPS

Me and my helper.
I started part time at 19-got a driving gig at 22 and am now 41. I can't imagine starting at your age as I am absolutely worn out now. I'm not saying it can't be done, and I wish you luck, but the day I turn 50 I'm gone. My body will be completely shot by then(at least from the neck down)
GOOD LUCK!!!
I follow u step for step...Now i'm headed for feeders for relief. That guy won't be working out everyday or running before work when he becomes a driver lol :).

mikestrek

Started P/T at age 20 in 1984. Went friend/T at age 25 in 1989. Now with the company 23 years. I'll have my "PEER 80" (Number of years with the company plus your age) at age 50. I don't know if i'll leave or stay on a while longer. The job is tough but I feel great at the age of 43. Best of luck to all of you.

Brownrainger

I started driving when I was 33. Thought it was going to kill me. I will be 51 next month and into my 18th year with UPS. If you are careful and keep yourself in shape you will do just fine. The job IS getting tougher though. I need to work 6 more years------- hope to retire at age 57.

yurgref

Started at 22 , worked Part Time for 19 Years - Utility driver for 15 of those years had to be the best job at UPS- Total Control of your life, drive when you want too, and always have an excuse that you dont do this every day.:thumbup1: . Finally bought the bullet three years ago, with 9 years left.

Street hire 2 years ago at 32 years old. I am still at the bottom of the barrel at our center. I will have to work until 62.

There has to be some clarification here, you should check with your local supplement to determine when you can retire - IE 30/80 which mean I have to work 30 years or the combination of years of service plus my age equal 80. In my case I started at 22 so I have to only work for 29 years before I can punch out of this place.

robot

Has A Large Member
i started at ups when i was 20, went to package car when i was 24. i got lucky and got into the feeder department at the age of 30. going on 2 years now in feeders. yeah i'm getting FAT but i'm happy!:w00t: