Package Handler Muscle Gain/Body Changes

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
My former manager use to have a ton of "Body by UPS ... It's not just work, it's a workout" t-shirts he handed out exclusively to the fat guys who worked here.

Depending on what job you do, you can burn a lot of calories & tone up slightly... but it's not going to be enough. Probably has more to do with what you eat outside of work. If you enjoy a few doughnuts for breakfast every morning and hit the bar evernight... we have a few small guys working here who just don't understand how they can be underweight yet have a belly...

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I'm curious as to how much muscle some of you long-term package handlers have put on in comparison to when you first started. I wouldn't mind gaining 20, 30 pounds in the next year or two.

I'm going into my second week of loading trailers, (some 18 wheelers[?]) tomorrow. Last week, it wasn't too bad at 4 hours a day, though, on Friday, we worked 7 hours--damn near killed me. My muscles surpassed sore at day 3, with sharp pain (I'm 130 pounds, and out of shape, at that). Though, I've been trying to take around 100-130 grams of protein a day, and am starting to take creatine and protein shakes, this week.

Though, it's so long for a 'workout', and the weight isn't too heavy. So, some people say it's more like cardio than buffing up. I imagine your muscles get used to it after whatever amount of time, and they stop getting bigger but adjust and define. After mine stop getting too sore, I may have to start hitting the gym afterwards for a little more bulk. Though, it's kinda cool having a job that keeps you in shape (even though it's utterly exhausting right now)

(Awesomeness at one-and-a-half over 5 hours. :D)
If your looking to gain some mass, the job can help with it. Eat a lot of calories, consisting of a lot of protein and carbs. Weight gain formulas are your best friend when your working preload or local sort. Take 1 before you go into work and try to get 1 in during your shift or right after, or your body will be in a catabolic state meaning its in a state of needing calories to grow or keeping weight on. Depending on your body type, we'll shoot for on the thinner side, consume at least 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight and at least 3 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight as you will be burning calories like crazy. Its not rocket science really and it is a lot easier with meal replacement shakes and weight gainers. Shoot for 6 or 7 meals a day with 4 being mrps(meal replacements) and 3 whole food meals. You don't have to eat super clean per say but you get the picture. Creatine 5 grams before work and after 5 grams. Micronized I like. Same with glutamine as the creatine. The glutamine will help with the soreness as all that is the lactic acid build up in your muscles. Hope this helps cause ive been down that road also lol.
How has your body held up or changed due to working in a hub? How long have you worked there?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Calories, live it, learn it, love it. If you want to put some size on follow this. Drink 1 weight gain shake before work and 1 in middle of shift or after as you don't want your body to go into a catabolic state meaning your body needs calories to maintain weight or muscle. Shoot for 1 to 1.5 grams of protein and at least 3 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight as your going to be a calorie burning machine. Take 5 grams of creatine before work and 5 grams immediately after work. Same with glutamine 5 and 5 at the same time. I like the micronized type as it assimilates in your stomach better. Glutamine will help with the soreness as all that is, is lactic acid building up in your muscles. Shoot for 6 or 7 meals a day, with 3 or 4 being mrps(meal replacements) and 3 whole food meals a day. Sounds like its difficult but the mrps are a great cheat meal sorta speak. You put it in a blender and bam a high nutrient meal. Been there done that, hope this helps. Any questions hit me up lol.

Con1989

When I first started at UPS i weighed 220lbs, I started out loading feeder trailers. My first two months I lost 30 pound, I was so over weight and so out of shape. At the end of each night my shirt was soaking wet with sweat. After my first peak season I lost another 20pounds. I'm in the best shape I have ever been in my life. I would've probably lost more weight if I wasn't promoted to jam breaking so soon. I always told myself that they pay me to work out, and now I'm 50 lbs lighter and feeling great. Ever since I went jam breaking I'm not sore anymore and I'm saving my back doing it.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Calories, live it, learn it, love it. If you want to put some size on follow this. Drink 1 weight gain shake before work and 1 in middle of shift or after as you don't want your body to go into a catabolic state meaning your body needs calories to maintain weight or muscle. Shoot for 1 to 1.5 grams of protein and at least 3 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight as your going to be a calorie burning machine. Take 5 grams of creatine before work and 5 grams immediately after work. Same with glutamine 5 and 5 at the same time. I like the micronized type as it assimilates in your stomach better. Glutamine will help with the soreness as all that is, is lactic acid building up in your muscles. Shoot for 6 or 7 meals a day, with 3 or 4 being mrps(meal replacements) and 3 whole food meals a day. Sounds like its difficult but the mrps are a great cheat meal sorta speak. You put it in a blender and bam a high nutrient meal. Been there done that, hope this helps. Any questions hit me up lol.
Too lazy; didn't read:
If you want to gain weight, Calories consumed > Calories expended.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When I first started at UPS i weighed 220lbs, I started out loading feeder trailers. My first two months I lost 30 pound, I was so over weight and so out of shape. At the end of each night my shirt was soaking wet with sweat. After my first peak season I lost another 20pounds. I'm in the best shape I have ever been in my life. I would've probably lost more weight if I wasn't promoted to jam breaking so soon. I always told myself that they pay me to work out, and now I'm 50 lbs lighter and feeling great. Ever since I went jam breaking I'm not sore anymore and I'm saving my back doing it.
Agreed....it takes a toll on my already battered joints....but I'm in better shape now than when I was 20. Body by ups...lol

The Range

In too deep
The people talking about steroids and not gaining muscle as if there is any knowledge on what they speak.

This entire thing will be dictated on your eating habits during work and throughout the day. You want muscle? Eat a lot. Figure you need 3000+ calories to start building muscle, understand you're burning a lot as you are not straight lifting weights and EAT. Try to eat mostly clean. You will become a beast but this takes time.

You will not gain 30 lbs of muscle in one year. With or without steroids. Putting on 2 lbs of muscle/month even with newbie gains, hitting the gym hard and eating until you can't take it will be very hard. Please note I said muscle and not total mass.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I was 190 pounds when I started loading trailers in May. I don't know how it is in other centers, but we don't have any air conditioning. Only heat. Some sorts it would get up to 95 degrees in the building. I sweat my butt off. Now I'm 156 pounds. I put on muscle but I lost a ton of fat. It's pretty cold where I am so my weight loss has stopped, but it's the best workout I've ever had. I run around a lot and hop between trailers. Local sort I usually walk about 4 miles. Preload one morning I did almost 9.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was 190 pounds when I started loading trailers in May. I don't know how it is in other centers, but we don't have any air conditioning. Only heat. Some sorts it would get up to 95 degrees in the building. I sweat my butt off. Now I'm 156 pounds. I put on muscle but I lost a ton of fat. It's pretty cold where I am so my weight loss has stopped, but it's the best workout I've ever had. I run around a lot and hop between trailers. Local sort I usually walk about 4 miles. Preload one morning I did almost 9.
You mean your building isn't air conditioned??? When I take my break every morning...I just sit down in one of my package cars...start it up and blast the AC! Keeps me nice and cool in the summertime...lol

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
This is so false it hurts.

Probably depends on your body composition and the type of work you're performing. I can think of a sorter who was fairly muscular when he hired in here several years ago, but is now so super skinny we tease him about being on an all crack diet. And then there's an unloader who use to be a very little dude... now he's just a fat little dude.

JL 0513

Steroids is the only way to get big.

You know nothing about bodybuilding. You can become pretty big naturally. You can't set foot on the Olympia stage, but you can put on plenty of size.

This is so false it hurts.

Working at UPS puts on very little muscle. You may gain a bit when new, especially if you started as a weakling, but your body quickly adapts to lifting packages. Growing any real muscle requires extremely intensive weight training. Progressively lifting heavier and heavier/ more reps.

People who think that muscle mass comes easy has never stepped foot in a gym.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Probably depends on your body composition and the type of work you're performing. I can think of a sorter who was fairly muscular when he hired in here several years ago, but is now so super skinny we tease him about being on an all crack diet. And then there's an unloader who use to be a very little dude... now he's just a fat little dude.

@mixyo, Listen to the intelligent guy here!!

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You know nothing about bodybuilding. You can become pretty big naturally. You can't set foot on the Olympia stage, but you can put on plenty of size.

Working at UPS puts on very little muscle. You may gain a bit when new, especially if you started as a weakling, but your body quickly adapts to lifting packages. Growing any real muscle requires extremely intensive weight training. Progressively lifting heavier and heavier/ more reps.

People who think that muscle mass comes easy has never stepped foot in a gym.

Agree. I started lifting at 14-15 during my freshman year in high school. I stopped lifting as soon as I started working at UPS because I didn't have the time, and I ended up losing plenty of muscle masses within four months.

vowl

up late
When I started loading I weighed 145. Lost weight like a cancer victim to 125. now I weigh 130-140. I think the only way to gain is through a mindful diet and workout. Ball shrinking drugs might help, but who could deal with the rage working here?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Most of the muscle heads you see on TV or in magazines on on roids. Even actors use them to get ready for films. Why? Because they work!