package handler to driver

hoser

Industrial Slob
i am currently a package handler

being that i am a student, i am happy as a handler, but in the summer i'd like to back into being a courier. just wondering if i were to go from handler to courier with 8 months senority, what would the pay be? would i be at the equivilent rate or would i be at the bottom of the totem pole for courier (in other words, at the top of the package handling totem pole :D)?

hungrydude5

Don't expect much. I'm a reloader at a small center and since it's small i hear/know everything that goes down. But anyways. I don't know about pay for drivers I'm just a handler but it ALL depends on who's ahead of you seniority wise. And that's for temp reg too. If you are just getting into driving, you may have 3 temp regs ahead of you and you'd be bumped. If all 3 temp regs are filling in for 3 reg drivers, then you'd be able to take the night such as PM air or late letter box PM pick up delivery to the airport. It just all depends on who is ahead of you. Now say that you have been a temp reg for 5 years and you are a on top temp reg, and there is a position open for full time, you may get it. And it sometimes depends on how well you do. Good luck tho! It takes TIME. Be PATIENT. And if it seems like the management or the on road sup is ignoring, dont be afraid to go in a be assertive and tell them what you want. Because most likely, at least where I am....they'll tell you "We'll get you out for some on road experience next week" and it will never happen. Good luck again!

hoser

Industrial Slob
I'm not talking about whether or not I will get it, because I know I will. Our economy here is ridiculous and they still can't find enough handlers with a starting rate of $13.00hr ($14 for preload) and couriers with a starting rate of $16.50. If I wanted to be a courier today it would happen. We're not in one of those centres where we have to wait 10 years before becoming a courier. They're desperate for staff here. Even FedEx is looking heavily for ramp handlers at $16.hr and couriers at the same rate.

My question is what rate I would get, whether it be base rate, or an equivilent rate for the senoirty I would have (a year)

hungrydude5

Ah i see! Well, from what you said, I guess 16.50. but is that for temp reg or is that full time? Or don't you guys have temp reg? But none-the-less if they are starting everyone else at a starting rate at 16.50 then I guess that's the rate you would get. Starting rate and seniority I don't think really matters. Starting rate is a starting rate. You can have 15 years as a handler and go in for a driver and still get that 16.50. I could be be wrong, can someone clarify?

hoser

Industrial Slob
Ah i see! Well, from what you said, I guess 16.50. but is that for temp reg or is that full time? Or don't you guys have temp reg? But none-the-less if they are starting everyone else at a starting rate at 16.50 then I guess that's the rate you would get. Starting rate and seniority I don't think really matters. Starting rate is a starting rate. You can have 15 years as a handler and go in for a driver and still get that 16.50. I could be be wrong, can someone clarify?
This is what I thought. Union reps in my shop are horrific for dissemiting any kind of useful information.