package handling interview...

yummy

going to my interview tomorrow for the package handling position....but before i do i wanted to see if i could get a headsup on wut the interview is like. ive read alot of threads on the job position itself and found that the likeliness of being hired is very high as long as yur willing to do the work (which i am). but i havnt seen anything on exactly how the interview process goes.
questions: are you currently a package handler yourself? what kind of answers did you provide that allowed you to get hired? did you ask any questions? how were you dressed? how long did it take until you started working?
... i sound nervous huh... i am.
well, i might have posted this thread a little late for any helpful tips being that i have my intreview tomorrow afternoon...but who knows, ill check back in the morning.

Dfigtree

going to my interview tomorrow for the package handling position....but before i do i wanted to see if i could get a headsup on wut the interview is like. ive read alot of threads on the job position itself and found that the likeliness of being hired is very high as long as yur willing to do the work (which i am). but i havnt seen anything on exactly how the interview process goes.
questions: are you currently a package handler yourself? what kind of answers did you provide that allowed you to get hired? did you ask any questions? how were you dressed? how long did it take until you started working?
... i sound nervous huh... i am.
well, i might have posted this thread a little late for any helpful tips being that i have my intreview tomorrow afternoon...but who knows, ill check back in the morning.
From my time spent interviewing prospective package handlers. Find out who Jim Casey was and Google Casey's quotes. Mention his name and quotes a lot. If you've never been in trouble with the law, mention that a lot. If you have been, let the interviewer know. You may be fingerprinted at some point. If you are a single parent, be prepared to explain how you will provide care for your children. You might be asked how (what mode of transportation) you will get to the hub or center. No criminal record. Transportation. And, an endearing believe in the sayings of Jim Casey oughta do it. Oh yeh, you should be very physically fit. Street savvy might help, too.

HazMatMan

I think mine went like this. (Interviewer) Can you lift more than 70 pounds by yourself (Me) Yes. (Interviewer) Oh, you live in Astoria, Queens? (Me) yes, (interviewer) ok we can put you in the Woodside building, Starr Avenue. (Me) great, it's only 15 minutes from my house by bus... Why mention not being in trouble with the law?? and why quote Jim Casey??? I don't think they are going to hire you if you know where Mr. Casey was born, raised, etc... I think they want to know if you can perform the job more.. Don't remember what I wore, and I think I started like the next night. Do they fingerprint anymore?? Save the Casey stuff for when you are going for Division Manager....

Dfigtree

I think mine went like this. (Interviewer) Can you lift more than 70 pounds by yourself (Me) Yes. (Interviewer) Oh, you live in Astoria, Queens? (Me) yes, (interviewer) ok we can put you in the Woodside building, Starr Avenue. (Me) great, it's only 15 minutes from my house by bus... Why mention not being in trouble with the law?? and why quote Jim Casey??? I don't think they are going to hire you if you know where Mr. Casey was born, raised, etc... I think they want to know if you can perform the job more.. Don't remember what I wore, and I think I started like the next night. Do they fingerprint anymore?? Save the Casey stuff for when you are going for Division Manager....
<<Why mention not being in trouble with the law?>> This is Joisey, home of the Sopranos. Not cushy Queens with ahs been crooks.

We asked and were required at the time to ask THREE times, "Have you ever been in trouble with the law?" Even after three times, many people lied. I didn't make the rules. That's what they were.

HazMatMan

<<Why mention not being in trouble with the law?>> This is Joisey, home of the Sopranos. Not cushy Queens with ahs been crooks.

We asked and were required at the time to ask THREE times, "Have you ever been in trouble with the law?" Even after three times, many people lied. I didn't make the rules. That's what they were.

My, My, so defensive.. Joisey, home of the sopranos?? isn't that a "TELEVISION" show?? Queensbridge housing, grew up not too far from it, most gunshots you'll ever hear in your life.. That's reality buddy, NOT television. Anyway don't want to sound like i'm proud of the violence, but you started it with your soprano crap.. anyway, can't UPS check for criminal records without asking the people? and does UPS hire people with misdemeanors?? also, do they fingerprint anymore?? still bond people?? I think we can all agree it seems UPS has lowered their standards of hiring from when I applied..

HazMatMan

Oh yeah, UPS will hire anybody, even a single parent (who, by the way will be an attendance problem in no time flat, why?? can't find a baby sitter..)

yummy

thanks to both replies. very helpful. ill take all of your advices with me to the interview. well, im off to the interview, wish me luck!

Dfigtree

My, My, so defensive.. Joisey, home of the sopranos?? isn't that a "TELEVISION" show??
The Sopranos made it to TV? Wow! I knew Tony would make good some day.

Actually, my experience was 20 years ago. The reason to mention Casey is to show that you have a modicum of intelligence which almost no one did. If you did have some intelligence, you were hired. You could have been Arnold Stang. Didn't matter. The finger printing was done by a DILP guy, a retired police captain, merely to intimidate. The guards at the exit randomly (or not) made some handlers remove hats (could be your 70 pound package under there) and open their mouths (maybe the guard was a dental student, too) to look for jewelry which rumor has it was once in a while found. The DILP guy told me that some the people took the UPS job just to see how much they could steal before they got caught. Nice thought, huh.

yummy

just realized my interviews not until another hour... anyone have quick tips before I leave? Im 21, currently attending city college and about ready to transfer to a 4 year university. Im not too good with speaking though. ahh, im nervouse... my last and only job was working for my dad at his drycleaners (3yrs).

Channahon

Just be yourself, take your time answering the questions. If you don't understand the question, ask the interviewer to repeat the question. Talk about your educational future and goals. GOOD LUCK

Committed Lurker

Always lurking.....
just realized my interviews not until another hour... anyone have quick tips before I leave? Im 21, currently attending city college and about ready to transfer to a 4 year university. Im not too good with speaking though. ahh, im nervouse... my last and only job was working for my dad at his drycleaners (3yrs).
Good enough. You'll probably get in if the center you applied to is that short-staffed or are looking at some future people movements.

yummy

okay im back from the interview/ orientation. not so bad. my appointment was set for 3:00pm. when i arrived there was around 20-25 people already there standing outside one of the many parking lots in the facility. i parked on the street (good thing, because if you parked in one of the inner lots you were told your car would be towed away), asked some guy if this was where the package handling interviews were being held, got a yes, and then stood in line. i got to the designated facility at around 2:55pm (thought i was one of the last ones to arrive, but i guess not, there were something like 10 people coming in after me, and if you come late you dont get this introductory form to fill out... ie, name, school, current jobs.. etc. and also has details on the job, those who didnt get the form had to come back thursday to get it then). when i got there they were already holding interviews for the 2:00pm group, so after those were done they got to us and gave us an introduction/ orientation. after that, they gave us that form to fill out, they give you some time and then they ask if have any questions about it. after that they split you up into three groups according to the shifts you want to work, twighlight, preload, and... what was the other one?? whatever, there were three groups. i was going for the preload, 3am-8am.. my classes conflict with the other shift times. they had three supervisors for each line, each interviewing one by one. they were moving fast, 10 minutes each, tops. my turn. the sup for my line was really nice, they were all pretty friendly though. asked few simple question: how did you hear about the job? why do you feel this posotion is right for you?.. easy stuff, and lots of yes or no questions. anyways, he told me to come back for another interview and gave me an orange card that had my next interview time on it. he told me not to show the others because not all would get it.. riiight~ but nevertheless, i got my second interview which is next monday at 3pm. i was just so nervous at first being that i've never done an interview before... i shouldnt have been. we'll see how things turn out with my next interview. Hey, anyone know what the second interview is like?

disneyworld

From my time spent interviewing prospective package handlers. Find out who Jim Casey was and Google Casey's quotes. Mention his name and quotes a lot. If you've never been in trouble with the law, mention that a lot. If you have been, let the interviewer know. You may be fingerprinted at some point. If you are a single parent, be prepared to explain how you will provide care for your children. You might be asked how (what mode of transportation) you will get to the hub or center. No criminal record. Transportation. And, an endearing believe in the sayings of Jim Casey oughta do it. Oh yeh, you should be very physically fit. Street savvy might help, too.
None of this applies anymore-they'll take anybody because of the high turnover. If you don't need the benefits-run the other way. The aggravation far outweighs the pay. You are constantly harrassed to go faster because to UPS, you are never going fast enough.You have to work 5 days a week and you can pour coffee for roughly the same pay.

yummy

thats good to hear for me atleast because i do need the benefits for my tuition and plus id rather be moving around then being bored pouring coffee. im wondering if ill feel the same after a few weeks on the job though (that is, if i get the job). so many people saying that package handling is a crap job due to the crazy work pace. "run the other way!" so many people has said that. is it really that hard?

yummy

None of this applies anymore-they'll take anybody because of the high turnover. If you don't need the benefits-run the other way. The aggravation far outweighs the pay. You are constantly harrassed to go faster because to UPS, you are never going fast enough.You have to work 5 days a week and you can pour coffee for roughly the same pay.

thats good to hear for me atleast because i do need the benefits for my tuition and plus id rather be moving around then being bored pouring coffee. im wondering if ill feel the same after a few weeks on the job though (that is, if i get the job). so many people saying that package handling is a crap job due to the crazy work pace. "run the other way!" everyones saying that. is it really that hard?

aspenleaf

thats good to hear for me atleast because i do need the benefits for my tuition and plus id rather be moving around then being bored pouring coffee. im wondering if ill feel the same after a few weeks on the job though (that is, if i get the job). so many people saying that package handling is a crap job due to the crazy work pace. "run the other way!" everyones saying that. is it really that hard?

This job is not easy and for the pay you can go elsewhere. The tutition money is great and the benefits are wonderful (the best you will find for a part-time job).

You should be prepared to work harder than you ever have in your life. You will feel like dying your first week becasue every muscle in your body will ache and you will wonder you are doing this for the little pay. You need a good reason to stay (otherwise you might call in for any reason; I work with a guy who calls in ever time it snows and we are in Denver) for me it is the benefits. If you have a goal you can do this job and do it well. You need to be at work when your shift starts and work as directed. Ask for help with the over 70s. There are a lot of college students that work at UPS for the benefits so you are in good company.

Good luck and keep us posted.

disneyworld

I'm not afraid of hard work so I wouldn't consider it hard. You just get sick of the verbal beating you get from supes and the fact that your hard work goes mostly unappreciated. They'll throw meaningless numbers at you of how many packages per hour you are doing but then they add "you need to get that number up". If you do last then just work at a pace you feel comfortable with. Don't let them force you into an injury because they will ALWAYS say YOU didn't work safely.

aspenleaf

I'm not afraid of hard work so I wouldn't consider it hard. You just get sick of the verbal beating you get from supes and the fact that your hard work goes mostly unappreciated. They'll throw meaningless numbers at you of how many packages per hour you are doing but then they add "you need to get that number up". If you do last then just work at a pace you feel comfortable with. Don't let them force you into an injury because they will ALWAYS say YOU didn't work safely.

This is also very true. . . and I have had many drivers tell me that no matter how good I am I will never be good enough according to UPS (so don't kill myself trying). Once you reach the PPH number it changes. I was told I am too slow and that I need to be better with production than I am with my load. I was told an okay load and great numbers is better than what I do now. Which is why I am at UPS for the school money and health benefits. I have tried to reach the PPH number but I can't and when I have been timed I was doing great (of course they time when my cage is great and I can sort it - never been timed at the start when I have to fight the cage to get a box out because it is packed top to bottom).

Do the best you can and try to not let the sups get to you. The work is only hard if you are not used to working. I have seen a lot of preloaders think it would be a cake walk to load trucks and they left in the first week.

Good luck!

Channahon

If you're a smart kid, can take instruction and not afraid of physical work, you should be fine.
And no weekend work, for now. There may be opportunity down the road to be a Saturday Air Driver which can put some extra cash in your pockets. You can't beat the benefits for a part time job. Good luck