Package triage

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I reported to work yesterday morning with 9.73 DOT hours remaining and approximately 13 hours worth of rural deliveries to do.

Forseeing this, I had begging all week for permission to start "rolling" single ground stops and to disregard misloads in order to conserve DOT hours, but permission was denied. As a result, I was put into a position yesterday where I was forced to perform "triage" and choose which customers would get their packages and which customers wouldnt. I wound up bringing 39 missed stops back in order to not violate DOT.

In the medical field, "triage" refers to the prioritization of limited medical resources. Those with serious but treatable wounds are given first priority; those with less serious wounds are next in line; and those who cannot be saved anyway are given a slug of morphine and allowed to die, rather than having resources wasted upon them.

How does everyone else triage? I focused on pickups first, premium service packages second, oversized packages third (so I wont have to fight them on Monday) perishables fourth, and pretty much everything else got hind tit. I probably could have gotten an 5 extra stops done if I had not made distinctions between ground and premium service, but lacking any sort of clear instructions from my management I chose to make ground my lowest priority.

It was a lousy day and a lousy way to have to do business.

upsman68

I brought back 40 stops on Thursday and 20 stops on Friday. On Thursday and Friday I made sure I got rid of the Turkey's and the Omaha Steaks and then stops with multiple packages.

ups1990

I've yet to run out of DOT hours as a driver, came really close this week.
Imagine, a driver given the option by UPS as to which parcels will be missed.
This is where only the route driver could possibly pull this off because he/she knows what packages are more essential than others. We are trained to deliver everything and its in our blood to make an attempt on every package and can see how this could leave a bad taste in your mouth, especially going into the weekend.

over9five

Staff member
I would have delivered by DOL in order to get the most stops off.
I really don't care what's in the package (meds, perishables, etc).
UPS doesn't care, why should you?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I had 8.33 DOT hours available yesterday and was dispatched with at least 12 hours worth of stops.
I simply followed ORION and let the chips fall where they may.
Management has taken the will out of my power to think and try to prioritize.

soberups

The really frustrating part is that I could have "rolled" 4 or 5 ground packages per day during the week, delivered them the following day when additional packages showed up for the same address or their neighbor, and wound up with at least 12 available DOT hours and a fighting chance of getting clean on Friday. The total number of missed packages for the entire week would have been far less, no customer would have had to wait more than 1 extra day for their package (instead of all weekend) and I would not now be in the position of having 39 additional stops piled in over the top of what is sure to be an already hopeless dispatch on Monday. Even if half of those missed stops "double up" and get an additional package on Monday, I'm screwed. Our center missed thousands of stops on Friday, we are hopelessly understaffed, and I am a rural driver. What I cant do on Monday gets rolled into Christmas Eve, and what I cant do on Christmas Eve sits in our building until Thursday. Hell, I would be more than willing to come in on Sunday and clean it all up, but they wont let us. I really hate having to decide which customers get screwed over for Christmas.

ups1990

Your right! I don't care about whats inside these boxes but I do care about some off the folks on my route. I have elderly people waiting for meds and some on dialysis. Military families with small children whose dad is somewhere in the world serving this country and I would think that placed in the same situation as soberups, my focus would be to service to them before delivering any wine, chocolates , furniture, .........

over9five

Staff member
Your right! I don't care about whats inside these boxes but I do care about some off the folks on my route. I have elderly people waiting for meds and some on dialysis. Military families with small children whose dad is somewhere in the world serving this country and I would think that placed in the same situation as soberups, my focus would be to service to them before delivering any wine, chocolates , furniture, .........

You guys are better people than me!

(But I'd have more stops off!)

soberups

Because I am the one who ultimately has to face the customer. I cant hide in an office behind a pile of reports and pretend that everything is OK.

ups1990

Soberups, yourlast sentence says it all! 6th post.
As hard and difficult and stressful that 2013 peak has been, we want to provide the very best possible service despite arising circumstances.

over9five

Staff member
Because I am the one who ultimately has to face the customer. I cant hide in an office behind a pile of reports and pretend that everything is OK.
I understand your desire to be a "professional driver".
But honestly, you're accepting responsibility for things you have no control over. I'm not trying to change your mind, I know you. You'll do what you feel is right and best for your customers, and I respect that.
I'd deliver everything in order and I definitely wouldn't feel bad, or even care at all, about any of their customers who end up getting screwed.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
That's one thing the boys down in Atlanta refuse to understand and that each package represents the people paying our paychecks. When I do my route it is like visiting friends. Many of my customers I have known for 19 years and for UPS to put me in a position to let them down is unforgivable.

over9five

Staff member
That's one thing the boys down in Atlanta refuse to understand and that each package represents the people paying our paychecks. When I do my route it is like visiting friends. Many of my customers I have known for 19 years and for UPS to put me in a position to let them down is unforgivable.
This is the problem:
You said you are letting them down.
YOU are not letting them down. Your management team let them down.

You guys have to stop taking ownership of problems created by your management teams.

The really frustrating part is that I could have "rolled" 4 or 5 ground packages per day during the week, delivered them the following day when additional packages showed up for the same address or their neighbor, and wound up with at least 12 available DOT hours and a fighting chance of getting clean on Friday. The total number of missed packages for the entire week would have been far less, no customer would have had to wait more than 1 extra day for their package (instead of all weekend) and I would not now be in the position of having 39 additional stops piled in over the top of what is sure to be an already hopeless dispatch on Monday. Even if half of those missed stops "double up" and get an additional package on Monday, I'm screwed. Our center missed thousands of stops on Friday, we are hopelessly understaffed, and I am a rural driver. What I cant do on Monday gets rolled into Christmas Eve, and what I cant do on Christmas Eve sits in our building until Thursday. Hell, I would be more than willing to come in on Sunday and clean it all up, but they wont let us. I really hate having to decide which customers get screwed over for Christmas.

Your problem is you're a good guy and trying to look out for your customers in the face of a never ending river of stupidity.
As much as it goes against your conscience and work ethic sometimes you just have to look out for yourself and get ready to get wet tomorrow.

I almost, almost, went in today. Despite them aggravating the hell out of me all week my work ethic was urging me to go because it's peak and yes I still see customers in those brown boxes.
But for the love of a good woman I was convinced much like I told Sober that it was a losing battle and to get some rest.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I reported to work yesterday morning with 9.73 DOT hours remaining and approximately 13 hours worth of rural deliveries to do.

Forseeing this, I had begging all week for permission to start "rolling" single ground stops and to disregard misloads in order to conserve DOT hours, but permission was denied. As a result, I was put into a position yesterday where I was forced to perform "triage" and choose which customers would get their packages and which customers wouldnt. I wound up bringing 39 missed stops back in order to not violate DOT.

In the medical field, "triage" refers to the prioritization of limited medical resources. Those with serious but treatable wounds are given first priority; those with less serious wounds are next in line; and those who cannot be saved anyway are given a slug of morphine and allowed to die, rather than having resources wasted upon them.

How does everyone else triage? I focused on pickups first, premium service packages second, oversized packages third (so I wont have to fight them on Monday) perishables fourth, and pretty much everything else got hind tit. I probably could have gotten an 5 extra stops done if I had not made distinctions between ground and premium service, but lacking any sort of clear instructions from my management I chose to make ground my lowest priority.

I brought back 70 stops, over 100 packages due to DOT hours yesterday. It was obvious it was going to happen as they dispatched me more than I could have done even without DOT hour restrictions so they sent a part timer to come deliver some of my stuff to reduce it a little.

P.S. I volunteered to work Sunday to deliver the rest.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This is the problem:
You said you are letting them down.
YOU are not letting them down. Your management team let them down.

You guys have to stop taking ownership of problems created by your management teams.
Why care if some drivers take responsibility for the negligence of upper management? Personally I agree with you except the final sentence. If some want to be "heroes" and go above and beyond, despite being setup to fail and treated like a dog all year-round, go for it!. If others want to work by-the-book and allow the situational warts and all to show through (which makes sense to me), that should be fine too.

oldngray

nowhere special

UPS triage =

mccoy_carbontrade_its_dead_jim.jpg

Johney

Just remember you are a union truck driver not paid to think....leave that to the brain surgeons in the office.

soberups

Its not my job to take ownership of management's problems.

It is my job...to do the best that I can possibly do, regardless of the circumstances. I wont make a bad situation any better by becoming a robot and not giving a damn. And its not just the customers I am worried about. I'd like to get home at some sort of a reasonable hour on Christmas Eve and I'd rather not be forced to choose who gets their packages and who doesnt at 10:00 at night.