Packing a Lunch vs Buying

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You do remember correctly. I worked part time for eight years, didn't pack a lunch for the Midnight Sort. Full time driver for 37 years, today is my last. This is what a customer gave me yesterday. The whole family walked down the street to where I was parked in the shade on break. He gave me a dollar for every year I worked. His last name is Cathy, his grandfather started Chick-fil-A.View attachment 313298
I'm guessing you didn't tell him how much you despise fast food :p
Congrats brother!

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Can't just look at the cost of eating out separate from all the factors involved with a packed lunch. Packing a lunch 5 days a week adds up to about an hour extra prep time weekly in the morning. That's if you're just making sandwiches. There's the time buying ingredients at the store.

And cold cut sandwiches get really old and boring after a while. I've never been one to bring hot food leftovers - don't feel like bringing tupperware into a convenient store to use their microwave. Eating out is the best part of the day. Restaurant prepared food, always something different.

Why does it always circle back to that 401K? You can literally argue that about everything in your life. What a lousy life to focus so much on the time when you're old and can't enjoy much. Or worse, die before spending what you sacrificed your prime years for.

One thing though, if you order out you spend like half of your break time throughout the day in line at the gas station or waiting for your food to be ready. If you pack lunch you have more time to breathe and more flexibility on where to park. I buy food half the time but I also like to take lunch in a wooded area where no one can bother me.

oldngray

nowhere special
One thing though, if you order out you spend like half of your break time throughout the day in line at the gas station or waiting for your food to be ready. If you pack lunch you have more time to breathe and more flexibility on where to park. I buy food half the time but I also like to take lunch in a wooded area where no one can bother me.
If you pack a lunch its like having twice as much break time. Use the bathroom and wash up at one of your stops just before and find a nice spot to park and relax.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
@ Jones. I should have asked him for a corporate gig doing something! Missed an opportunity there. They do make a good chicken sandwich but Popeyes is a little bit better. Every great once in a while I'll lower my standards and get something quick.

Est.1998

You do remember correctly. I worked part time for eight years, didn't pack a lunch for the Midnight Sort. Full time driver for 37 years, today is my last. This is what a customer gave me yesterday. The whole family walked down the street to where I was parked in the shade on break. He gave me a dollar for every year I worked. His last name is Cathy, his grandfather started Chick-fil-A.View attachment 313298
Since i can't do it in real life here's a cyber handshake for all your years of service.
A driver in my group retired a few weeks ago, and would always tell me it's a marathon not a sprint and to look out for yourself and remember that those trucks are going out everyday, with or without you. Puts things in perspective whenever i take this job for granted.

barnyard

KTM rider
I used to pick the routes that I covered based on where I could eat. I have a bid route now and find that I pack a lunch most of the time. I ate at the same place for 3 years when I was covering that area. That said, it does add up. A person can eat a luxurious homemade lunch for $50/week. Plus, $10/day is not that easy to find for lunch.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Can't just look at the cost of eating out separate from all the factors involved with a packed lunch. Packing a lunch 5 days a week adds up to about an hour extra prep time weekly in the morning. That's if you're just making sandwiches. There's the time buying ingredients at the store.

And cold cut sandwiches get really old and boring after a while. I've never been one to bring hot food leftovers - don't feel like bringing tupperware into a convenient store to use their microwave. Eating out is the best part of the day. Restaurant prepared food, always something different.

Why does it always circle back to that 401K? You can literally argue that about everything in your life. What a lousy life to focus so much on the time when you're old and can't enjoy much. Or worse, die before spending what you sacrificed your prime years for.

You know if you hit the words reply down in the right bottom of your screen just like I did. Maybe folks can figure out who your talking too

Give it a try

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Is that gift card a lifetime all you can eat

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Zowert

When you’re single making $100k+ a year buying lunch somewhere along your route is nothing. If you’re married and have dependents, it’s a different story.

Cloud

I wish I had a microwave so I could heat up my food, but we don't...so I just end up packing an egg salad sandwich and toss it in my cooler if I do bring lunch.

If not, it's the Mcdonalds on the corner. :sick:

rod

Retired 22 years
When you’re single making $100k+ a year buying lunch somewhere along your route is nothing. If you’re married and have dependents, it’s a different story.
While you are scrimping and eating dry old sandwiches your wife is at the Mall with her girlfriends shopping and discussing which fancy resturant to eat lunch at. I just though you should know.