Packing a Lunch vs Buying

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Your arrogance is astounding. :)

Spend 5 bucks a day on eating out, and before you know it, you've blown $1,250 in your first year alone.

It's not a question of being able to afford something.
Throwing money around just because you have it is a great way to not to have it anymore.

Subtract the amount that you would spend on the food you bring from home. And consider the value you get from not having to prepare it yourself, and having a wide variety of options, and a warm meal on some days is pretty priceless. 1250 a year ain't so bad, if you can afford it. I mean, you can apply the same logic to biking to work vs driving. Sure, biking is cheaper, and is a good workout, but if you can afford a car and associated costs, you're more likely to drive than bike.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Subtract the amount that you would spend on the food you bring from home. And consider the value you get from not having to prepare it yourself, and having a wide variety of options, and a warm meal on some days is pretty priceless. 1250 a year ain't so bad, if you can afford it. I mean, you can apply the same logic to biking to work vs driving. Sure, biking is cheaper, and is a good workout, but if you can afford a car and associated costs, you're more likely to drive than bike.
Not everybody is a driver you know

Faceplanted

Spend 5 bucks a day on eating out, and before you know it, you've blown $1,250 in your first year alone.

Throwing money around just because you have it is a great way to not to have it anymore.
Why even work. If you want to live like a poor you can do that for free.

this job is hard. We all know it. I don’t know how people can bust their ass all day for nothing. Eat crap food, drive crap vehicles, wife spends all the money on useless stuff for her.

Why even work. If you want to live like a poor you can do that for free.

this job is hard. We all know it. I don’t know how people can bust their ass all day for nothing. Eat crap food, drive crap vehicles, wife spends all the money on useless stuff for her.
or you can choose to be a little bit thrifty and put some of that money in your 401k plan and not bust your ass and slave here forever

Faceplanted

or you can choose to be a little bit thrifty and put some of that money in your 401k plan and not bust your ass and slave here forever
Show me one person who packs their lunch and retired early. Who here has done that? It’s all theory.

Most people who pack lunch do so because the wife claims eating out every day is too expensive. She needs that money for her brunch days with the girls. Even when mamosa’s are sale they’re not free

the other reason people pack lunch is because they don’t want to “waste time” driving to a proper place to sit down and eat. Saving ups money and in turn actually costing them OT that would made on the to and from drive to eat which should be in the clock. So being “thrifty” as you say actually costs you more money.

Show me one person who packs their lunch and retired early. Who here has done that? It’s all theory.

Most people who pack lunch do so because the wife claims eating out every day is too expensive. She needs that money for her brunch days with the girls. Even when mamosa’s are sale they’re not free

the other reason people pack lunch is because they don’t want to “waste time” driving to a proper place to sit down and eat. Saving ups money and in turn actually costing them OT that would made on the to and from drive to eat which should be in the clock. So being “thrifty” as you say actually costs you more money.
all that I'm saying is if you can stick away an extra 20-30 bucks a week over the course of your career that can be a lot of money in your retirement plan

MethodsMan

Why stop there? don’t buy any new cloths ever, ride a bike to work, cancel all vacations! That could be even more money into your retirement plan.

I don’t think the people who say they choose to pack lunch are saying they cant afford it. They just choose not too.

I eat out one day a week atleast. But most the time I’m eating the leftover dinner my lady made the night before. I got an office building with a break room and a microwave, TV. It’s nice.

over time it does save quite a bit too

Faceplanted

I don’t think the people who say they choose to pack lunch are saying they cant afford it. They just choose not too.

I eat out one day a week atleast. But most the time I’m eating the leftover dinner my lady made the night before. I got an office building with a break room and a microwave, TV. It’s nice.

over time it does save quite a bit too
I don’t like leftovers, and if I do eat them I need to reheat them properly. I don’t even have a microwave in my house. This concept you speak of is foreign to me, and I don’t know many people that prefer left overs to jersey mikes/wawa or even a grocery store that has a prepared food section.

i also know there are a few weird ups drivers who lift need and eat specific foods. Like I said, to each their own.

I just find it comical how many of my co workers make 100k a year plus and live like their poor. Specifically the losers who’s wives give them an allowance, and force them to eat a soggy sandwich every day.

Last edited:

MethodsMan

Eat like a cheap ass most the time and boom you’ve paid for an extra vacation in Mexico. Or a couple thousand more in your 401k.

I guess it just depends on what you prioritize

Faceplanted

Eat like a cheap ass most the time and boom you’ve paid for an extra vacation in Mexico. Or a couple thousand more in your 401k.

I guess it just depends on what you prioritize
Living that close to the edge where you can’t save every month is the actual issue imo. But what do I known.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

That money would have bought a lot of bitcoins

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don’t eat until I get home for dinner. Skip breakfast and lunch. Only thing I have is coffee and water. During peak I’ll pack lunch and dinner and take 30-40 minutes worth of lunch broken up in the day. Always out in the resis with no microwave so I’ll wrap it in a towel and stuck it under the dash by the heater to warm it up.
Wow. You know you have a right to drive somewhere with facilities for lunch.