Packing a Lunch vs Buying

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have packed a lunch for 37 years, my last one will be tomorrow. I've been on the same route the last 24 years, no restaurants on area. I despise fast food, I wouldn't eat it if it was even available.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You don't know what the bathroom is like in that place
0ADC2BB3-D922-4ADA-9EEC-DACA3E99522C.jpeg

Is this it?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I have packed a lunch for 37 years, my last one will be tomorrow. I've been on the same route the last 24 years, no restaurants on area. I despise fast food, I wouldn't eat it if it was even available.
Congratulations, brother.
37 years is such an amazing achievement.
I hope you get to enjoy just as much time reaping the rewards of all your hard work.

JL 0513

Can't just look at the cost of eating out separate from all the factors involved with a packed lunch. Packing a lunch 5 days a week adds up to about an hour extra prep time weekly in the morning. That's if you're just making sandwiches. There's the time buying ingredients at the store.

And cold cut sandwiches get really old and boring after a while. I've never been one to bring hot food leftovers - don't feel like bringing tupperware into a convenient store to use their microwave. Eating out is the best part of the day. Restaurant prepared food, always something different.

Why does it always circle back to that 401K? You can literally argue that about everything in your life. What a lousy life to focus so much on the time when you're old and can't enjoy much. Or worse, die before spending what you sacrificed your prime years for.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Your arrogance is astounding. :)

Spend 5 bucks a day on eating out, and before you know it, you've blown $1,250 in your first year alone.

It's not a question of being able to afford something.
Throwing money around just because you have it is a great way to not to have it anymore.
1602651286323.gif

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If I remember correctly scratch has been with United Parcel Service more than 37 years.
You do remember correctly. I worked part time for eight years, didn't pack a lunch for the Midnight Sort. Full time driver for 37 years, today is my last. This is what a customer gave me yesterday. The whole family walked down the street to where I was parked in the shade on break. He gave me a dollar for every year I worked. His last name is Cathy, his grandfather started Chick-fil-A.
lQF3gfiYRK2z%il2rUGLFQ.jpg

Seymour Packages

You do remember correctly. I worked part time for eight years, didn't pack a lunch for the Midnight Sort. Full time driver for 37 years, today is my last. This is what a customer gave me yesterday. The whole family walked down the street to where I was parked in the shade on break. He gave me a dollar for every year I worked. His last name is Cathy, his grandfather started Chick-fil-A.View attachment 313298
Enjoy your retirement. You have more than earned it, brother.