Paid Sendagains

menotyou

bella amicizia
I've been frustrated by stops like campgrounds, cabins, and church camps that are closed in winter, but the owners live there. The presence of a sign says commercial, no DR. However, the "closed for season" sign, tells public to stay out, while the drop boxes and private entrances around back make for--what common sense calls--a doable residential stop. I've gotten some of these places to sign notes, others are just not wanting to be bothered with the hassel, so I asked my sup about them. He told me to sign the board with the business's name and release it. That way I'm not forging any names and the company won't hang me out to dry if a claim ever comes out of it.
Anyone else do that?
Maybe I am nitpicking, but if it is you signing the board, how are you CYA. again? In no way shape or form are we allowed to sign for anyone; Not even if they are standing there with their hands full giving you permission. It is not allowed at my center. You can be terminated for that on the spot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've been frustrated by stops like campgrounds, cabins, and church camps that are closed in winter, but the owners live there. The presence of a sign says commercial, no DR. However, the "closed for season" sign, tells public to stay out, while the drop boxes and private entrances around back make for--what common sense calls--a doable residential stop. I've gotten some of these places to sign notes, others are just not wanting to be bothered with the hassel, so I asked my sup about them. He told me to sign the board with the business's name and release it. That way I'm not forging any names and the company won't hang me out to dry if a claim ever comes out of it.
Anyone else do that?

Sure do--this is called area knowledge. I will give you one example. There is a business on my area that is never staffed--the owner comes by once a week or so to make sure the place hasn't burnt down but other than that there is never anyone around. This is a business where contractors come and look at blueprints for jobs before bidding on them. The entrance has a lock with a push button code entry system. We have the code and we simply open the door, put their packages in, sign the board and go. It is a business so DR is not an option. It is secure entry and I have never had a claim. I have a T-shirt shop on my area. They generally take their lunch between noon and 1 (like most normal people do) which is usually when I am in their area. If they have a large shipment they will wait for me but if not I leave their packages inside their back door and retrieve any COD checks that they have left for me, locking the door behind me. There are many more examples but the bottom line is area knowledge is key to making this decision knowing that it could come back to bite you.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Anyone else do that?

I would get that in writing from the sup that told you to do that. My guess is he won't give it to you in writing/

The signiture in a diad becomes a legal document, if YOU are signing for somone elses property, YOU are the responsible party. If that package comes up missing and the consignee denies signiture, who do you think is responsible for that loss? One guess!! YOU!! I have seen drivers lose there job for this, even with the so called permision.

DO NOT EVER PUT YOUR STYLUS TO YOUR DIAD FOR SOMEONE ELSES MERCHANDISE!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would get that in writing from the sup that told you to do that. My guess is he won't give it to you in writing/

The signiture in a diad becomes a legal document, if YOU are signing for somone elses property, YOU are the responsible party. If that package comes up missing and the consignee denies signiture, who do you think is responsible for that loss? One guess!! YOU!! I have seen drivers lose there job for this, even with the so called permision.

DO NOT EVER PUT YOUR STYLUS TO YOUR DIAD FOR SOMEONE ELSES MERCHANDISE!!!

...which is why I said "knowing that it could come back to bite you." Very good point, grocer.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Sure do--this is called area knowledge. I will give you one example. There is a business on my area that is never staffed--the owner comes by once a week or so to make sure the place hasn't burnt down but other than that there is never anyone around. This is a business where contractors come and look at blueprints for jobs before bidding on them. The entrance has a lock with a push button code entry system. We have the code and we simply open the door, put their packages in, sign the board and go. It is a business so DR is not an option. It is secure entry and I have never had a claim. I have a T-shirt shop on my area. They generally take their lunch between noon and 1 (like most normal people do) which is usually when I am in their area. If they have a large shipment they will wait for me but if not I leave their packages inside their back door and retrieve any COD checks that they have left for me, locking the door behind me. There are many more examples but the bottom line is area knowledge is key to making this decision knowing that it could come back to bite you.

The only thing I would do different is get signed notes instead of signing it myself. I have no fear of send agains. My theory is you ordered it, you should be prepared to recieve it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I'm not saying what you are doing is wrong, I'm just saying it isnt allowed at all. For all I know it might be from the packages being pitched in the woods. Or, from the metro sup who was caught stealing laptops and wii's and who k owe what else.
Personally, of that is what the customer has requested then that's what should be done. They pay our bills.
I like the signed notes idea.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
...which is why I said "knowing that it could come back to bite you." Very good point, grocer.

I would leave them a pad of delivery notices and have them sign them so you could take one every time you deliver there. I have the same thing on my route, customer is an ac service tech and is always gone. I have a key to the shop and he signed the pad or notices. Everyone is happy and I am covered in event of a claim.

P

pickup

I'm disappointed. I originally thought that the thread was titled "Paid Shenanigans".

I have to read more carefully in the future.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm disappointed. I originally thought that the thread was titled "Paid Shenanigans".

I have to read more carefully in the future.

You know, they sell those magnifier reading glasses at the grocery stores now and all the way up tp 3.50 ??

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Anyone else do that?

Stop doing this right now!!!! You are still signing for them and yes the company will hang you out to dry all your sup is worried about are his numbers.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
I will not sign for a box that isn't mine, point blank and simple. The company I work for can and will turn on you when convenient and they won't get any amo from me. I realize that certain customers have different needs and I will accommodate them as long as it doesn't compromise my job or the security of their parcel. JMO

Packmule

Well that's the problem. They are too lazy to sign the notes, and the road back to these places tend to be long or perpetually icy. I say, if the company hates the send agains, they ought to work with us on a "signature on file" program, or shut up about send agains.

Johney

I don't know about everyone else, but my DIAD you can't read the signature anyways. Even when it get's replaced with a new rebuilt one it still is a bunch of squiggly lines. Just like they signed by twisting two little knobs.:twister2:< kinda like that.:happy2:

code5

Thanks to those who stated something relevant to the paid sendagains as was my intent when I started this thread. But, like most threads it should now be murged with the "meaningless fluff"

As is typical with the new UPS I suppose, the priorities have become completely wacked!

UPSGUY72

Thanks to those who stated something relevant to the paid sendagains as was my intent when I started this thread. But, like most threads it should now be murged with the "meaningless fluff"

As is typical with the new UPS I suppose, the priorities have become completely wacked!

Really this is what gets your panties in a bunch.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Just wondering how many paid sendagains you are allowed in a day? Is it standardized or simply an average of the whole delivered in a center? I work in a very small center in Canada and when they start talking averages and efficiencies we get screwed cause of our smaller numbers. We can have no more than 3 a day without having to call the supervisor and pretty much get harassed. Its all about redirecting and/or reattempting them.

They say it costs UPS approx. 5 dollars to deliver a paid sendagain the following day. I say thats bull - that figure sounds like it came from some computer geek that lives in the cyberspace, theoretical world to me.

If i have a paid sendagain and I deliver it the following day and have a package again for that adress in costs diddly squat! Chances are i'm within a block of that adress the following day and would take less time to deliver it then trying to redirect it to neighbors that is terrible customer service as well as a potential claim. It also creates bad driver releases that a driver might not do without these limitations.

I always do my best to put customer service about the UPS reports so I do try to do good driver releases then at the end of the day do the "Call of Shame", but I have co-workers that find it very belittling and go all out cutting any corner to get rid of that package, which isn't right.

Feedback please, how many paid sendagains are allowed in a day??
​We are a very small center as well and we have never been told that we have to call in for send agains or limited in the number of send agains we can have.

UPSGUY72

​We are a very small center as well and we have never been told that we have to call in for send agains or limited in the number of send agains we can have.

A couple of months back we where told we needed to call the center manager if we had more then 5 send agains that lasted less then a week. Apparently the center manager got sick of drivers calling him and explaining that the people weren't home and the package is Sig Req or it was None Dr address. They must have thought that we were bring packages back for the hell of it.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We are to call or message the center if we have more than 5 send agains.If they want me to go back, that's just fine i get paid by the hour .
The funniest thing was a couple of weeks ago no one at the post office would come to the door, so i sent a message to the building that i would have 87 send agains because the Civil Servants couldnt be bothered to come to the door. I got a message about 20 minutes to call the building NOW!!!!!!!............. I sent a message saying i was nowhere near a phone,couldnt call etc etc.............was ordered to go back to the PO and re deliver,because that many send agains werent allowed .............. ok fine by me.
i went back at 4:50, sheeted the packages and the person who answered the door said they didnt take packages after 4 pm................. so i wound up with 87 send agains on two stops. it was priceless seeing the look on my On Road Supe's face when he went over my numbers the next morning.