Part-Time Cover Driver? Anyone know what this really is?

lbmtcu

Is this for feeder or package? I came up as a part time cover driver and did that for a year before I made full time. In that year, they never didn’t use me. I worked feeder every day. You will most likely do vacation covers and depending on how many drivers you have it could be steady work. Remember if you drive even one day a week, you get your driver rate even if you get bumped back to the hub. 1 day of driving gets you 7 days of driver pay where I’m at.
Package.

Upsbc251

What if you go feeder part time, qualify there then take a 22.4 full time job and do 30 days there. Can you go back to feeders as a full time with the cover pay? Or will it be the 1st yr pay? Southern region

DOK

Its called being red circled. If you qualify as a cover driver and than later become a full time driver you'll keep your cover driver rate of pay. 85% of top rate in the southern.
View attachment 295298
In our building it’s the same pay as a regular fulltime pkg driver, after you go through progression obviously, and you keep that rate when you transition into fulltime, don’t have to go through progression a second time.

542thruNthru

In our building it’s the same pay as a regular fulltime pkg driver, after you go through progression obviously, and you keep that rate when you transition into fulltime, don’t have to go through progression a second time.

Are you in the southern supp?

542thruNthru

Are you in the southern supp?

Appears so, the Mesquite bldg was mentioned.
That would make the southern supp.
If you are like me, you might have missed it in an earlier post.

@clean hairy you're confusing me... are you also @DOK ?

I asked that question because DOKs building probably pays same rate because cover drivers there are actually FT unlike for the OP or because he's under a different supplemental.

But yes I saw he was Mesquite building.

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
We have pt covers here. It's honestly a downgrade from 22.4, hard to believe. All your vacations, days off etc will be at your inside rate of 14 dollars capped at 5 hours a day. You basically have no rights as a pt cover that a full timer has. No 9.5 protections, no roving holidays, you'll have to work holidays, you won't get 1.5x rate for it either. Its a rare position in ups that a few buildings use. Sounds like your hr is lying to you about the pay rate. You'll get the 30, but its after 2 or 4 years depending on your buildings supplement. Once you make full-time, your progression starts over meaning you'll keep your pay rate at 30 but it'll be another 2 or 4 years before you make full time pay.

Depending on your building size, it could be a long while before full time. We have guys waiting 5+ years here, some waited over 10.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
We have pt covers here. It's honestly a downgrade from 22.4, hard to believe. All your vacations, days off etc will be at your inside rate of 14 dollars capped at 5 hours a day. You basically have no rights as a pt cover that a full timer has. No 9.5 protections, no roving holidays, you'll have to work holidays, you won't get 1.5x rate for it either. Its a rare position in ups that a few buildings use. Sounds like your hr is lying to you about the pay rate. You'll get the 30, but its after 2 or 4 years depending on your buildings supplement. Once you make full-time, your progression starts over meaning you'll keep your pay rate at 30 but it'll be another 2 or 4 years before you make full time pay.

Depending on your building size, it could be a long while before full time. We have guys waiting 5+ years here, some waited over 10.
90% of what you just said is not true here.

Jakamoe

90% of what you just said is not true here.

Must be nice. It really depends on your local. I'm just saying how it's here. All in all. What I say isn't meant to bash anything. Just information. Id say I have no regrets going thru my buildings progression to full time. Just know what you're getting into.

542thruNthru

Must be nice. It really depends on your local. I'm just saying how it's here. All in all. What I say isn't meant to bash anything. Just information. Id say I have no regrets going thru my buildings progression to full time. Just know what you're getting into.

What supp are you under?

Jakamoe

Sounds pretty damn bad. I don't know why anyone would even accept that position.

It can be rough. Our local isn't strong like our neighbor locals. We were once told by our BA that if ups wanted to force us all to work holidays at regular pay that he would basically bend at the knee to it. Our steward is great and tries but it doesn't seem that he gets the full support he needs. Right now our local isn't honoring 9.5.

But, honestly the building itself isn't bad. Just wish our local supported us a bit more, or fought for more protections.

I tend to just shut up and do the job, stay off radars and I get along fine. But I have buddies whose locals are doing things I didn't even think was possible.