Part-Time Cover Driver? Anyone know what this really is?

lbmtcu

Hello,
I worked as a Seasonal last November-December. Got called 2 weeks ago to come on as "Full-Time", but when I showed up at HR they said it was now a "Part-Time Cover Driver" offer. HR stated that I would drive at $30 and when not needed work in Hub at $14.
I was a bit irritated, but said "okay" as I need a decent paying job right now. I asked for specifics (e.g., Job Code, etc.) on new job title, but was told that it is a "new position" but that it would "most likely" lead to a Full-Time offer as they really need drivers, and I could possibly "lock-in" the $30 rate. As of this post, I am retraining Integrad and will be done Friday.
Does anyone know if this is a load of poop, or if this could actually be a good thing as UPS really needs drivers (Mesquite, Texas Hub)?
Thank you in advance for any insight or tips on what I should do to promote a Full-Time offer.

MattM

^ You're right. My air building has a few air bid routes, where you're a cover driver for 1-6 hours a day. You'd work inside at your standard rate of pay, and then cover drive. This sounds more like the proper pay breakdown. Seniority is some 10-15 years for these routes though.

And $30 isn't really reached until yr4 of progression.

Someone's not telling the full truth. Sadly. Not surprised.

RTCD

TCD here; depending on your seniority you’ll either work 60 hrs per week, 6 days a week at driver pay or be on preload most days for low pay.

If the order volume stays high like it is now you’ll work all day every day driving. Only when the volume slows will you bounce back inside to preload.

It’s probably better to qualify as a cover because you lock in your pay and keep the higher rate when you promote to full time 22.4.

542thruNthru

Hello,
I worked as a Seasonal last November-December. Got called 2 weeks ago to come on as "Full-Time", but when I showed up at HR they said it was now a "Part-Time Cover Driver" offer. HR stated that I would drive at $30 and when not needed work in Hub at $14.
I was a bit irritated, but said "okay" as I need a decent paying job right now. I asked for specifics (e.g., Job Code, etc.) on new job title, but was told that it is a "new position" but that it would "most likely" lead to a Full-Time offer as they really need drivers, and I could possibly "lock-in" the $30 rate. As of this post, I am retraining Integrad and will be done Friday.
Does anyone know if this is a load of poop, or if this could actually be a good thing as UPS really needs drivers (Mesquite, Texas Hub)?
Thank you in advance for any insight or tips on what I should do to promote a Full-Time offer.

Texas I believe is the southern region supplemental. They have PT cover drivers but I believe they are supposed to be offered to PTers by seniority. Sounds like to me they are bringing you in as a cover so that when the volume dies next year you'll be a PTer and will only drive when needed. Which depending on the area could be very little.

lbmtcu

TCD here; depending on your seniority you’ll either work 60 hrs per week, 6 days a week at driver pay or be on preload most days for low pay.

If the order volume stays high like it is now you’ll work all day every day driving. Only when the volume slows will you bounce back inside to preload.

It’s probably better to qualify as a cover because you lock in your pay and keep the higher rate when you promote to full time 22.4.
Thanks for clarification

lbmtcu

Texas I believe is the southern region supplemental. They have PT cover drivers but I believe they are supposed to be offered to PTers by seniority. Sounds like to me they are bringing you in as a cover so that when the volume dies next year you'll be a PTer and will only drive when needed. Which depending on the area could be very little.
Thank you. Mesquite Hub is apparently slammed right now, so fingers crossed I can eventually come on as FT.

lbmtcu

That's where I got lost/confused. They quoted the higher driver rate and stated it can be locked-in if offered FT, but could not give me any time frame as "it is a new" position.

lbmtcu

Thanks.

DOK

Hello,
You’ll work as needed as a driver then when a fulltime bid opens up you’ll be able to bid on it in seniority order. We’ve had that position in our building for 35 years. If it’s like our building you’ll work as a driver every day.

lbmtcu

You’ll work as needed as a driver then when a fulltime bid opens up you’ll be able to bid on it in seniority order. We’ve had that position in our building for 35 years. If it’s like our building you’ll work as a driver every day.
Thank you.

542thruNthru

That's where I got lost/confused. They quoted the higher driver rate and stated it can be locked-in if offered FT, but could not give me any time frame as "it is a new" position.

Its called being red circled. If you qualify as a cover driver and than later become a full time driver you'll keep your cover driver rate of pay. 85% of top rate in the southern.
Screenshot_20200513-153653_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Hello,
Is this for feeder or package? I came up as a part time cover driver and did that for a year before I made full time. In that year, they never didn’t use me. I worked feeder every day. You will most likely do vacation covers and depending on how many drivers you have it could be steady work. Remember if you drive even one day a week, you get your driver rate even if you get bumped back to the hub. 1 day of driving gets you 7 days of driver pay where I’m at.