Part-Time Cover Driver? Anyone know what this really is?

DOK

Then you need to change how you describe them.
Actually they’re referred as temporary cover drivers in our supplement, but I have heard them called part time cover drivers. Hope I’m talking about the same position as the original poster.
In our supplement they are preload, twilight, or local sort workers that drive when there’s a need, ie, vacations, sick days, etc. The days they don’t drive they go back into the sort. They get parttime benefits and pension through the company. They do, in fact, go through full driver wage progression and get the exact same top rate pay as a full time driver when they are driving if they’ve completed progression.

542thruNthru

Actually they’re referred as temporary cover drivers in our supplement, but I have heard them called part time cover drivers. Hope I’m talking about the same position as the original poster.
In our supplement they are preload, twilight, or local sort workers that drive when there’s a need, ie, vacations, sick days, etc. The days they don’t drive they go back into the sort. They get parttime benefits and pension through the company. They do, in fact, go through full driver wage progression and get the exact same top rate pay as a full time driver when they are driving if they’ve completed progression.

You missed the point my friend. He said PT cover drivers are invaluable but then says they shouldn't be paid the same as RPCDs. If that's so then they are not invaluable.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Must be nice. It really depends on your local. I'm just saying how it's here. All in all. What I say isn't meant to bash anything. Just information. Id say I have no regrets going thru my buildings progression to full time. Just know what you're getting into.
I believe I am under same supplement and I would say you are close on some of your info but not all of it.

Overpaid Union Thug

If more people in the south would actually vote on the next contract (<——- LOL) we could possibly get rid of TCDs and maybe get more full time driver jobs. The Southern Supplement already has language that says for each 156 reports (or something like that) a TCD HAS a new full time driver must be added. There are easily 156 reports per any two TCD in most mid sized-large centers. Many TCDs barely miss that number. If two combine for that then there’s obviously a need for one full timer somewhere.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If more people in the south would actually vote on the next contract (<——- LOL) we could possibly get rid of TCDs and maybe get more full time driver jobs. The Southern Supplement already has language that says for each 156 reports (or something like that) a TCD HAS a new full time driver must be added. There are easily 156 reports per any two TCD in most mid sized-large centers. Many TCDs barely miss that number. If two combine for that then there’s obviously a need for one full timer somewhere.

Did you ever wonder why so many TCD's barely miss that number? Do you think management may be keeping track?

Overpaid Union Thug

Did you ever wonder why so many TCD's barely miss that number? Do you think management may be keeping track?

Exactly! Logic says that if six TCDs combine for 900 hours per year then that center obviously needs at least five full time drivers. And some miss the 156 mark because they refuse work. But that is their fault.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Exactly! Logic says that if six TCDs combine for 900 hours per year then that center obviously needs at least five full time drivers. And some miss the 156 mark because they refuse work. But that is their fault.
I hit 156 reports every year I was a TCD, so did most of us. It's a meaningless number when your center is already adding that many FT drivers anyways.

The position doesn't automatically go to the TCD that got the reports so you could still be stuck as a TCD for years.

RTCD

The reports are not cumulative between all the TCDs... only 1 FT position is created per TCD that gets 156+ punches. So, 2 TCDs who get 155 punches each does not equal any new FT jobs (southern).